Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-27-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
SupraDietrich
Stock

SupraDietrich is on a distinguished road

Hello happy supra tuners, i am currently driving a 95 dodge avenger, but it's officially up for sale simply because i've found the awesome that is the supra, and besides i dought you could cram over 600 power in an avenger, even though they are pretty fast... anyways, i just noticed searching through car domain that most ppl drive 89 for the MK III so i was wondering first of all, is that the best year if there is one, and a few other questions, i'd like to know if anyone knows a few bodykit sites for MK III supras just so i can get a good idea of the potential of the styling department of these cars, although i plan to go engine all the way before working on the look of the car... second of all i wanted to know if i should go for GReddy or HKS for most of my engine upgrades, and i think one of my most important questions is about the dependability of the MK III supra, because i don't get a whole lot of money and i know that it's gunna cost lots to fix one of these things simply because of the import parts, but what i want to know, is that with a car that is already 17 or some odd years old, is this thing A) going to break alot ? B) going to last me forever considering that i take car of it with all my heart, a nd C) be able to repair no matter what the damage, and by that i mean if this near 20 year old car lasts me my whole life, in another 20 years, if the engine is shit, could it be fixed ?... anyways, thanx for any feedback i recieve, thatnx guys...
Old 08-27-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

well i drive an 87 non turbo. u can expect the head gasket to blow, or bhg, the radiator will go, the engine will last easily into the 200,000 mile range. the only body kits ive seen are insanely expensive. but check ebay. they might have something cheap. and for fixing it, its like any other car. customized parts are a little harder to find but everything else is pretty easy. as for the GReddy or HKS, a little of both would be great. u dont need to be religious with what company has more parts on ur car unless ur sponsored by them. the interior parts are a bitch to find. and the stock 7m-ge (non-turbo) or the 7m-gte (turbo) doesnt have a whole lot of room for upgrades so ur better off getting a newer engine. the popular ones are a 1jz-gte (turbo) or a 2jz-gtte (twin turbo). and the new problem on my car is the tie rods are bad. but thats a fairly cheap problem.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

Typical old car, and it's a pretty complicated car because of the turbo, ect. Yeah, it's gonna break, but it's sports car, you're gonna drive it hard more than likely. HKS, Greddy, Titan...ect....all make parts, and many are great. Probably the best stuff I've seen are not from the big companies, but from some guy that likes to fabricate. The cool thing is, these cars are pretty easy to work on, though time consuming at times, can be made fast, made to handle, and they ride nice. Keep in mind that Supras where being compared to Porsche...but with a $40,000 rebate :lol:

If you're a car guy and like working on cars, it's nice. If you want something dead reliable, I can think of better vehicles, but it's a Toyota, it's still VERY reliable...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
SupraDietrich
Stock

SupraDietrich is on a distinguished road

awesome, thanx ppl, well it's good to know that they're easy to work on because i hate giving the keys to a mechanic, and it's really not your car if you don't do the work yourself, atleast that's my mindset, and it's also good to know that it'll last as long as i keep it up, and yes i've seen the majority of supra drivers divy between HKS and GReddy engine upgrades or replacement parts, i can't wait to have it sitting in my little driveway ready to kick some civic ass last sunday for cruise night my avenger got beat by a 2003 civic that looked stock but appearantly had about 3000 put into the engine, one of those so called "13 second civics" so i hope to meet him again, this time with a bigger engine, a standard (that will really help ), and i think i'll get a lighter sub box this time, mines fucking huge, and doesn't even have port holes, on it... lol... anyways, thanx again guys, i know where to come if i have questions... ttyl
Old 08-28-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
Poodles
12psi boost

Poodles is on a distinguished road

hehehehe, get a supra, and burn him. If he wins, shim your wastegate and try again :lol: True, anything can be made fast, but some are far more expensive than others to make fast. Supras are overbuilt (well, besides the headgasket on the MKIII and the clutch won't hold much over 300 if I remember right), and will take more boost and fuel all the way over 500hp without internal modifications. Try doing that on a civic, and you're talking a complete race engine, that runs race fuel and tons of boost or nitrous.

Oh, another thing, I own an 82 toyota pickup, and toyota can still make interior parts for it...not for cheap, but they still have the molds and can make one for me, so I'd say you'd be able to get parts for your car in 20 years, either that, or the aftermarket will take over making duplicates or upgrades.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
joel w
Lexus & 550's

joel w is on a distinguished road

the nice thing about a supra is the owners that are fanatical like you ppl. i dont even have a repair manual or owners manual and i only needed a machinist to do the valve
job. i have found every soulution to every issue i have had on the net from places and ppl this here, ive done a bhg, heater core, water pump, timing belt, lower crank pulley valve job, new used ebay turbo. new IC new hand made by me custom 4" k&n filter & adapter air filter hand made mandrel ICplumbing and custom mandrel exahaust sys all made by me from 2.5 inch aluminum and steel w/ 3 inch flowmaster muffler, all cats have been sleeved, fcd installed, ball joints, breaks, ujoint, and stage 3 clutch. like any car things break and wear out. there old but built very well . easy to work on quality nuts and bolts my advice is to get some quality metric tools and save$ for the bpu mods

boost tends to point out the weak link in the car so most parts are heavier duty than most n/a cars

thanks to all
h34r:
joel w is offline   Reply With Quote