Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
the blocks are all the same whether its an ge or a gte.
No, they are NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
there are plugs for the oil return and other turbo essentials alrady in the ge block.
No there aren't. The GE blocks were never drilled and tapped for the returns and their mounting studs.

GE's use only one central boss for ONE knock sensor in the middle of the block, the GTE uses two at the outer cylinders. The GTE has oil squirters and the GE is not machined for you to even add them. The GE does NOT have the bosses for the oil supply and return drilled... and then there are all the differences in components such as the oil pump, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulators, no oil cooler on the GE...

Read up and then share... don't start just pumping out bad info.

I wasn't ragging on him for his interest, just pointing out that there is a lot more to it than he thinks and there is no straight bolt on for it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #12
chinesedawn
Intake

chinesedawn is on a distinguished road

all right, thanks everybody,there are some really good informations, I learn a lot about my supra again and I give up about the turbo plan,too much work,not worth. I will think about some other way to get more power.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You may do as you like, but for a complete novice it usually ends up with the person either selling off a half finished project which cost them far more than they would have spent just buying and upgrading a turbo MKIII or with them selling off a car that's a lump because it blew in a big way.

I run a N/A-T, I spent a ton on it, did a lot of research and a lot of work... and I still don't expect it to last. There is no single kit for it and there is a lot more to it than just strapping on a turbo... I just want to be sure everyone's clear on that. If you still want to do it that's fine, I'll still answer questions about the conversion as long as you're taking to proper precautions and not just throwing parts under the hood because they look good.

Sadly, with the 7M-GE there is no easy or cheap power adder... the 7M is not a good naturally aspirated engine for upgrading.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
NevvBy
Stock

NevvBy is on a distinguished road

a bit sad u guys dont want to help him out. Its not too bad putting a custom turbo kit together but installing it by yourself is a real pain. Study up on it and learn each component of a turbo kit first. Im only running 5lbs of boost on my 7MGE (YES NON TURBO MOTOR).
Old 10-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Uh, yeah... been there done that. No one said it couldn't be done. In fact I said I BUILT AND OWNED ONE. I did it right after the first build (only running about 6 psi) resulted in a couple shattered pistons. Rebuilt from the bottom up to GTE specs (save the single knock sensor and no oil squirters), GTE pistons and oil pump, fuel, timing and boost controller and ran 15psi just fine... but it was always temperamental. The N/A TCCS just wasn't mapped anywhere near acceptably for a forced induction setup and piggyback add-ons add some other complications. It's very widely accepted that N/A-T setups are just not good investments if their is a turbo model already available. That's what everyone was getting at and it's the truth. I felt like seeing how far I could go with it and on two builds I found that I could have gotten a LOT more from my money by just going with a swap. No one said the OP was an idiot just that there were much better ways to go about it.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #16
NevvBy
Stock

NevvBy is on a distinguished road

yes so instead of being a jackass like my dad and not give me any support on my projects or ideas and also tell me that I couldnt do the na-t, y dont u help him with what he needs to do the na-t swap. If a guy is going to jump off a bridge, hes going to jump off a bridge, but let him know how to do it and have fun. If it fails, its a learning process, if it goes well, then maybe he went and did something u didnt do to make the na-t stable.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Given that this thread's over three years old I don't see that it matters much at this point anyway... Besides if someone's that determined to not follow the advice of others then they're not going to follow the advice of others... Pretty simple. At any rate you're wasting your breath, I've covered the differences and requirements ad nauseam on this forum in a number of threads. If you don't have anything constructive to add that's fine but please don't dig up old threads just to troll. You haven't added any value to this thread yourself.

/thread

Tip Jar --->
Closed Thread