Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
supra.7mgte
Intake

supra.7mgte is on a distinguished road

checked all the grounds.. they are now good but i still have no spark.. im going to check for codes right now
supra.7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
supra.7mgte
Intake

just checked codes.. none at this time anyways.. im at a loss here i have no freaking clue wut it could be.. any other ideas... i timed the cps and even replace it due to the fact that the old wires were very brittle

any one with other ideas on what it could be?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
supra.7mgte
Intake

i also just noticed that when the battery is hooked up the check engine light stays light up with the ignition in the off position and key out of ignition. as soon as u turn the key to the run/on position the check engine light will go out. any clues as too why?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
supra.7mgte
Intake

that buzzing from the pass side is the fuel pump relay cause my is doing it too
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The fuel pump relay is the most likely suspect for the buzzing. The CEL when the ignition is off is puzzling as the ECU has no power source at that point, but I suppose if the fuel pump relay is getting power from somewhere that would be the same source that's powering the ECU. Do either of you have the FP contact in the diagnostic box jumpered to anything?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
tenmetalman
Stock

tenmetalman is on a distinguished road
Default 7mgte no spark & fuel pump rely buzzing

Hello,
I have a 88 supra that I've rebuilt the engine in that's showing the same problems. I've confirmed the coils have the necessary 12 volts. earlier posts indicate a ground wire is indicated between the coil pack & the engine ? one of the tests have you checking that NO ground exists ? I'm really climbing the wall, the cars been ready to start for weeks...... I performed the test to confirm the fuel pump works, it does... I also have the engine light on when the key is off ? this is really a "pip", putting it nicely. as the other people have nicely stated "HELP"
Paul
tenmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

One of you (or all of you) pull the fuel pump relay, jumper FP and +B in the diagnostic box, reconnect the car battery and see if the CEL still comes on with the key at "off". Try starting too if you like, although I doubt that's what's preventing your vehicles from starting.. I think the main EFI relay is more likely.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
When I put the new starter in, there were two wires which had large hole connectors on their ends, in addition to the primary battery cable. The two smaller wires were together, indicating they were attached to the same place...

...I wonder if these wires are grounds instead of hot wires...
They are grounds they connect to the lower intake plenum... post the wire colors and I'll double check for you, but I'm quite sure I know what wires you're talking about.

Quote:
Would a problem with the EFI relay cause a no-spark condition?
Sure, ECU doesn't get power when it needs it.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #19
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cre,

You NAILED it!!! Moved the 2 wires to a plenum bolt and it fired right up. One wire was white with red tracer dots, the other brown with blue dots.

Many thanks! Next time you're near Phoenix the drinks are on me.
glad to hear this problem finally got solved for you ben. its been what? a month?

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
MA70-3.0GT
12psi boost

MA70-3.0GT is on a distinguished road

Crikey o reilly, & I thought a BHG was a swine!!! Glad you got sorted in the end, are you taking any action about the bodged & wasted new starter or have you not had time to think about that sort of stuff yet? I'd be shoving a lawyer down their throats about now...

'89 Honda NC27 400, NC23 cams, open pipe, PC36a shock & possibly Showa USD forks...

'83 Yamaha 29R XJ750E-II, number 69 off the line, only runner in the country? Original except Koni shocks

'95 Honda PC26 CB500R, Winter hack, hateful, trying to sell it
I'm not paranoid, they really ARE after me!!!
MA70-3.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote