Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

bradenman1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I'm only going to cover a couple point, hopefully someone else will chime in with more info for you.

If you need help with a part, post a picture.

Oil in the plug galley is not unusual when the valve cover gaskets are leaking. That is the most likely source. The other source is the four massive plugs holding down the central cover. Start with getting as much oil out of there as possible with rags and perhaps siphon, then pull the spark plugs and just let the last few drops in each plug recess to empty into the cylinder (I hope there not a lot of dirt in there with the oil). Clean the plugs and wires thoroughly, reinstall the plugs (DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM) and run the engine to burn off what drained into the cylinders.

As for the rust, I don't know... The easiest fix IMO would be to cut out what's bad and weld in new sheet... otherwise, if it's more extensive either just cut it all out and weld in a new custom trunk bed or cut one from a chassis at a salvage yard and weld that in.

Check the rear tire wells for rust damage as well.

Your hatch seal is probably leaking if that much water's been accumulating in there.

Yes, cars this old are rarely easy on the wallet.
I havnt checked the fenders verry well yet I will after school and post some pics of the hoses I need

I read some where in these forms that you can takee the allen bolts out of the head and get an oil drain plug gasket and install it with the bolt to prevent leakage into the plug gally.

I'm not really sure if the turbo needs to bew rebuilt or not. I'm sure it does its been in the car sence it was built in the factory 20 years and 237000 miles ago. Tonight were going check the coolant for oil it seemed really dirty and a dark dark green color to it.

The oil/intercooler for the turbo has water in it doesn't it? I'm not sure if its leaking or if the over flow spilt onto it.

Is standard engine degreaser safe for use on the cams and valve covers? I want to spray them down and clean them up with some s.o.s pads and a wire brush.
bradenman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Another thing I wanted to knpw is What other parts for the turbo should I replace while its off getting rebuilt? I am not familliar with the valves and actuators that may be external from the turbo that should be serviced like the turbo.. I'm willing to replace it all to get my baby runnng 100% : )
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm.... why would you even bother trying to degrease the cams? They're sprayed with oil when the engine's running. Leave the cams alone.

Clean the valve covers with anything aluminum safe (degreaser is fine), wash thoroughly and dry thoroughly before reinstalling.

You mention scoring on the cams, post pics.

The oil cooler and IC do not use coolant... if they're getting wet with it it's coming from the overflow tank or a leak in the rad.

Dark coolant is usually the result of rust. Sometimes it's due to other contamination such as oil but that usually separates enough that you can tell it's oil beading up on the top of the coolant. Clean out the system and replace the coolant. Check oil for signs of coolant and look under the oil cap for light brown sludge.

The shop servicing the turbo should check the wastegate and actuator.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Ummm.... why would you even bother trying to degrease the cams? They're sprayed with oil when the engine's running. Leave the cams alone.

Clean the valve covers with anything aluminum safe (degreaser is fine), wash thoroughly and dry thoroughly before reinstalling.

You mention scoring on the cams, post pics.

The oil cooler and IC do not use coolant... if they're getting wet with it it's coming from the overflow tank or a leak in the rad.

Dark coolant is usually the result of rust. Sometimes it's due to other contamination such as oil but that usually separates enough that you can tell it's oil beading up on the top of the coolant. Clean out the system and replace the coolant. Check oil for signs of coolant and look under the oil cap for light brown sludge.

The shop servicing the turbo should check the wastegate and actuator.
the cams have like small sctatches on the parts that actually rub i was told theres nothing to worry about they are fine.

the coolant did have rust in it im going to flush it when i get her running again. im in the process of taking off the turbo (not as easy as it looks. i have taken the elbow off the turbo and the exhaust and unbolted the turbo from the exhaust manifold but theres a little tube looking thing i cant get off the bottom of the turbo....

ohh and i found that some of the IC tubing was tirwraped on and half way off the flanges its suposed to be connected to. and all my IC tubing needs to be replaced it is absolutly trashed any suggestions??
Old 01-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
916MKIIIx2
3" Exhaust

916MKIIIx2 is on a distinguished road

I heard that sometimes if the rust is bad enough and it builds up over a long period of time it could ruin the lower end of the engine... don't quote me on it but it sounds legit ;p

I'd flush it ASAP, or atleast drain the radiator and put some fresh coolant in there.
Also if the total repairs for the "engine" are more then $1500, you may want to look into a 7MGTE complete engine from suprastore for $1500
916MKIIIx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916MKIIIx2 View Post
I heard that sometimes if the rust is bad enough and it builds up over a long period of time it could ruin the lower end of the engine... don't quote me on it but it sounds legit ;p

I'd flush it ASAP, or atleast drain the radiator and put some fresh coolant in there.
Also if the total repairs for the "engine" are more then $1500, you may want to look into a 7MGTE complete engine from suprastore for $1500
im only spending like 700 or so its 350+ to rebuild turbo i spent like 250 on gaskets and 100 on random stuff ill have to buy while putting back togeather.

are suprastors engines rebuild or just sold the way they were found?? im kind of skeptical iv heard they were a good site but i dont even get to see what the engine looks like.

im almost ready to put the top end back togeather all i need is over sized oil drain plug wasshers and my spark plug wires that have yet to come in... should be here on the 21st

ohh and note to all oreily autoparts sucks dick! they told me all the parts i needed were dealer spacific( plug wires, and vacume line tube with a valve on it) so i went down to advanced autoparts and they had every thing just needed to order it due to the car being 20 years old.

anyone have sugestions on a intake system for the supra turbos? the whole stocl box on mine is in pretty bad shape it was sucking things into the turbo i could see pits and bent blades in the turbo along with coolant running down the intake tubes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
916MKIIIx2
3" Exhaust

916MKIIIx2 is on a distinguished road

You may find what you're looking for in my post from earlier on "Rubber Intake Armlet" there were some good links in there for parts of the intake system
916MKIIIx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #18
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

After 4 days of work i have finaly goten the turbo off. not an easy job

i need a link to a repair manual can anyone help me with that? alot of things are harder to do without a manual lol

i need to take the exhaust manifold off now and replace the gasket and ill soon be putting things back togeather. i checked the old plugs today and they were all nice and even everything looks good so far : )
Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #19
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenman1 View Post
ohh and note to all oreily autoparts sucks dick! they told me all the parts i needed were dealer spacific( plug wires, and vacume line tube with a valve on it)
Sounds like that store/parts guy in particular sucks, because the O'Reilly's I work at here in MT has 3 different sets of plug wires and plenty of vacuum lines/one way valves in stock... In any case, it unfortunately all depends on who you talk to.

Probably your best repair manual on line is the TSRM. Factory repair manual for a 90, but almost all of it applies to all MKIII Supra's.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Ok I'm having a hard time finding replacement parts for my supra. I need the oil lines for the turbo and I still can't find oem innercooler hoses...