Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
happysupraowner:)
Intake

happysupraowner:) is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge question

Haven't posted in a good while. I have a 86.5 non turbo supra that I haven't drove since april. It blew a head gasket on me. What I wanted to know is how likely I could have cracked the head on it. I've talked dozens of mechanics in this area that will not work on it due to them saying the head is probally cracked. The car never ran hot, soon as it started running weird I cut it off and not started it since. Any help would be great. Thanks
happysupraowner:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

WTF? I haven't heard of very many cracked 7M heads in the several years I've been active in the community. Sounds more to me like they're either inexperienced with these engines (in which case I wouldn't take it to them anyway) or they simply don't want to tackle the job of fixing a 24yo engine. It does happen, but I can't imagine why they'd just say it outright... Is there more to this? Have they actually inspected the car?

Personally it wouldn't matter, if the head was cracked I'd go to a salvage yard and pull one for $50 and take it to a shop for a cleaning up and machining.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
Intake

Thanks cre. I'm debating to do it myself. Its cold as all get out here. I need to find a good "how-to" on how to take the head off. The car is in pretty good shape, so I would really hate to get rid of it. If you know a good how to guide hook me up if you don't mind. Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The Toyota Service and Repair Manual (TSRM) for the Supra is the best manual I've found. There is a digitized version hosted online for a '90, most of the differences are electrical though so it'll be fine for your needs. I recommend buying a hard copy though... a LOT easier to flip through while you're in the middle of the job. It's not the cheapest publication out there, but it's much better than Haynes.

Online version:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/ (You need the Engine Mechanical section )
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Intake

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks alot man. I'm gonna print it off and the next warm day we have gonna have at it. You think I should go ahead and change my timing belt while I have it off? Also, does it matter what way the timing gears go back on? Sorry for sounding like a noob lol.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I recommend replacing the timing belt when you do the job. I'd also replace all of the coolant hoses that run along the firewall and behind the head...better to do when the head is off. The gears go on only one way really. What you need to do is line them up as specified in the manual during the reassembly.

Are you new to this kind of work altogether? Don't be afraid to ask question, pay close attention to the manual. The head bolt torque as you know is wrong (torque head bolts to 72ft lbs). Follow the torque specs everywhere else very closely!

Ask lots of questions.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Intake

Thanks man. As soon as its above freezing I'm going to attempt to tackle it. Is there any head gasket brand you would recommend? The car is n/a now, I just need it to be my daily driver til summer then I'm going to work on getting it looking nice. One more quick question, I'm looking for the trim pieces that go around the middle of the car, anyone know a good place to get them or am I going to be a junkyard detective for them? Thanks again.