Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #21
AaronCDC
Stock

AaronCDC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCDC View Post
weird. thicker ones are more expensive lol. so if i went down to a 0.8 MM. which i saw one.... that would be like the best?
meh sorry i looked wrong. i dont know where i got 0.8 but they have 84 mm bored head gaskets... thinnest i saw was 1.0mm and i have a 1.2mm would i notice much difference between the two?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #22
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
weird. thicker ones are more expensive lol. so if i went down to a 0.8 MM. which i saw one.... that would be like the best?
More materials....

and no... that would be blindly increasing the compression ratio. Granting you a very small bump in power and a nice large bump in risk of detonation. If you want it to be reliable, you want to go with the stock HG thickness + whatever was milled off when the head and block were machined. It's not worth the minimal gain, IMHO.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #23
AaronCDC
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
More materials....

and no... that would be blindly increasing the compression ratio. Granting you a very small bump in power and a nice large bump in risk of detonation. If you want it to be reliable, you want to go with the stock HG thickness + whatever was milled off when the head and block were machined. It's not worth the minimal gain, IMHO.
o ok. hmmm. for now should my 1.2mm be ok though? cuz i thought bout just leaving it and gettin my headers and some other stuff done. ooo any idea on where to get a good deal on headers? or maybe someone has some just laying around that they dont want?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #24
AaronCDC
Stock

and just wondering but i have the option in my car that has the range of gas left and my MPG and calendar and blah blah.... how rare is that? someone said its like super rare?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to tell you whether you should worry about the thinner HG or not... I don't know what else was done. I'd ask the previous owner if he happens to have a list of all the specs from the rebuild. Mainly you want to know how much material was shaved off the head and how much off the block, then you want to know if it was bored over and the thickness of the head gasket.

What you're referring to is the SuperMonitor. It was an option for pre89 MKIIIs, not available for 89+. I don't know that I'd say they're super rare... They're not common, but they're easy enough to find. I've actually got two or three packed up somewhere. They were very cool for the time and they're an excellent reminder of how far ahead of the curve Toyota was back then.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #26
AaronCDC
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I'm not going to tell you whether you should worry about the thinner HG or not... I don't know what else was done. I'd ask the previous owner if he happens to have a list of all the specs from the rebuild. Mainly you want to know how much material was shaved off the head and how much off the block, then you want to know if it was bored over and the thickness of the head gasket.

What you're referring to is the SuperMonitor. It was an option for pre89 MKIIIs, not available for 89+. I don't know that I'd say they're super rare... They're not common, but they're easy enough to find. I've actually got two or three packed up somewhere. They were very cool for the time and they're an excellent reminder of how far ahead of the curve Toyota was back then.
nice yeah lol. ill ask him. i know Transmission and engine have under 10k on em. and the body itself hasn't hit 120k yet so i got a while for this car yet.

yeah the cars are pretty advance. i was showing it off to my co-workers and they were like. huh. they had this technology in 87. i was like yeah i told you it wasn't me that was the only great thing about 87 lol.

but yeah for sure ill ask him.....

thinking about getting the car rapainted too. any color suggestions or maybe leave it yellow?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #27
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thinking about getting the car rapainted too. any color suggestions or maybe leave it yellow?
that one is pretty much up to you. I heard it was difficult to change the color from original. I myself am a purist. meaning no matter what mods I may have or may do to my car. I will keep my stock look or incorporate them the best I can to maintain said stock look. Yes i have a new cd player yes i have a sirius and a gps. but I added them flushly into my dash by removing my ciggerret holder and using the extra space under my cd player. my turbo timer Ill prolly mount that into my glove box once i get it if applicable. my radar detector is attatched to my sun viser. and once I get my engine upgraded a tad I would want to actually mount my new guages into the dash itself. Things that are flashy and covering the inside of the car just look ugly to me. But if all that proves to be outside my skill range then yes ill just have them in plain sight.. bah

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #28
AaronCDC
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
that one is pretty much up to you. I heard it was difficult to change the color from original. I myself am a purist. meaning no matter what mods I may have or may do to my car. I will keep my stock look or incorporate them the best I can to maintain said stock look. Yes i have a new cd player yes i have a sirius and a gps. but I added them flushly into my dash by removing my ciggerret holder and using the extra space under my cd player. my turbo timer Ill prolly mount that into my glove box once i get it if applicable. my radar detector is attatched to my sun viser. and once I get my engine upgraded a tad I would want to actually mount my new guages into the dash itself. Things that are flashy and covering the inside of the car just look ugly to me. But if all that proves to be outside my skill range then yes ill just have them in plain sight.. bah
i try not to keep things too much in view. i try not to use screws either im all about super stick velcro strips lol. i got a thing that has 3 cigarette lights spots on it that i use so i can have my gps and radar all on at once. used to have one of those horns that has like a butt load of diff sounds like animal or sirens or a PA but that i dont really want in my supra.... other then that. i WISH i had a turbo cuz then id be talkin about gettin a gauge to lol. ... and yeah i kinda like the color i might just get it redone. its nice to be able to see my car in the parking lot cuz hey how many people really have a bright yellow friggin car
Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #29
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

my radar detector is hooked directly into my fuse box. I cut the cig adapter off spliced the wires added a fuse and connector (lil two pronged thing to the hot wire. please excuse my overly technical description) plugged the hot directly into an open 15v fuse under my driver side kick pannel and just grounded the other wire to the driver side firewall grounding bolt. and as for my gps and sirius. like i said i removed my ash tray cause I do not smoke in my car. mounted my sirius were that used to be and d/c my cig lighter. installed a 3 pronged one and left it in the cavity.. no wires are showing anywere. looks nice and flush with my dash. out of sight out of mind.. stock professional the way i like it.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 12-15-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #30
AaronCDC
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
my radar detector is hooked directly into my fuse box. I cut the cig adapter off spliced the wires added a fuse and connector (lil two pronged thing to the hot wire. please excuse my overly technical description) plugged the hot directly into an open 15v fuse under my driver side kick pannel and just grounded the other wire to the drive side firewall grounding bolt.
wow thats pretty.... well.... smart.... never thought about that. hmmm.. and i love your technical description.. reminds me of... well me. lol. i may have to look into that.