Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #21
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelaughslide View Post
As far as oil pressure my guage never worked
Even if you're replacing the gauge you need to make sure the stock sensor is still in place and that the ECU is still getting a valid signal from it. Do not remove the stock sensor or disconnect it.

Quote:
Well if stock is 1.3mm.. why does greddy offer a 1.mm? or shit hks's 1.2 all day. saying in the desciption adds compression.. ovously but a heard a rumor of detination problems..? weird.. and wtf is a stopper gasket compared to a reguler.. lol thanks man oh and heres my NEW intake and valve covers. lol
The stock is 1.37mm thick when compressed, measured before installation is obviously thicker.

You can use a thinner head gasket with lower compression pistons.

Look on HKS's website for the differences between "stopper" and "bead" gaskets.

Oh, and it looked like you guys were talking about not draining the oil!? Absolutely drain the oil. Once you finish the job and put the head back on you should go ahead and pour a couple quarts of extremely thin (and CHEAP) oil over the cams and allow it to run through and drain right back out to help clear out any debris; Heating the oil first should help too.

I've heard some folks talk about doing it with kerosene or acetone or similar and allow it a day or so so that the bulk can evaporate out; I can't advise you on this methodology as I haven't ever tried it.

After everything is reassembled, I recommend running the car up to normal operation temps, talking a drive around the block and then changing the oil and filter.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #22
livelaughslide
3" Exhaust

livelaughslide is on a distinguished road

yea i planned to do that as well. wow acetone?... crazy shit.. let it sit over night and when you drain to out your melted pistions will come out with it. haha. my oil is drained, i feel like i want everything to be legit on this car so no cutting corners. Oh, and the oil pressure sensor is/was hooked up when i started. but as far as my gauge, when you turn the car into the on postion it slowly spikes to the top, but once you start it, the gauge drops. weird..

I got one for ya!!!! I beleave these are the knock sensors. one was hooked up and the other wasnt btw this is telephone wire going to them.
i noticed it last night and damn near shit due to the fact my ka-t wouldnt even run with the knock sensor unplugged..
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0779.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	2633

And look at the ecu, the wires from the knock sensor are spliced right into the ECU terribly!!!??? WTF? who ever did this makes me sick.

Name:	100_0781.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	2634

whatcha think guys?

Last edited by livelaughslide; 12-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.
livelaughslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #23
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A rewire is a commonly needed thing with the knock sensors.... although you need to use shielded wire. I'd rewire those and use some RG-58 coax cable. This replaces the old wiring and adds a grounded shield to help reduce interference.

Writeup and detailed info:
http://oldschool.supracentral.com/htm/knock.htm

Be very careful when working around the knock sensors, Toyota wants a LOT for new ones.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 AM   #24
livelaughslide
3" Exhaust

livelaughslide is on a distinguished road
Red face oh wow

damn man, thaks..

So youre like the forum guro? i noticed that your car is right hand drive, has the most cleanest ls motor, the m was a gift from god and the gauge cluster made me wet.

haha, so damn... how the Fuck did you get so noligable? You sir are incredibly brillant, either you smoke alot of crack or have a whats it called......life? hah. damn man mad props to you sir.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #25
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
damn man, thaks..
No sweat.

Quote:
So you're like the forum guru?
Me? Heh, I was just passing through... There are other forums where I used to be far more active. Just saw a couple people needing help, so stopped off for a bit... and well, now I'm here.

Quote:
i noticed that your car is right hand drive, has the most cleanest ls motor, the m was a gift from god and the gauge cluster made me wet.
No pics of my car in anything I've linked to on here... my car isn't pretty.

Quote:
haha, so damn... how the F#@% did you get so knowledgeable? You sir are incredibly brilliant...
I own a Supra and don't have enough cash to pay someone to do the work for me. Actually, I've been at this for a long while. And thank you.

Here's a somewhat recent picture of mine:

Name:	27000004_sm.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	2635