Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #21
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbikeguy View Post
Sweet! Somehow he managed to do it with less work than any I've seen. I didn't see any info regarding the trans tunnel, did he say anywhere else if he had to pound it out or not?
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 AM   #22
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

cvbikeguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
bolt ons is something I've always been curious about, but seeing and reading how tempermental our ECU's can be and knowing the 7mge has a different ECU config than a 7mgte, I started to believe it might just be more efficient (both in time and money) to just drop a 7mgte w/ a manual trans than it would be to put a bolt on (if one exists for the 7mge) and have to dick with the ECU and still have an auto trans once said and done.. I know I've got a long way to go in my education on this make, but leaves me feeling just as excited as it does apprehensive. However, this forum has been a valuable resource for knowledge so far... hope that doesn't change any time soon.
Yea I'm think after this head gasket is done then I will see how much extra money I have to put in the manual tranny.
cvbikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
james123
Stock

james123 is on a distinguished road

i got the car today. absolutely amazing. ive always wanted a supra (any year) since i was little so this is kind of a dream come true. barely any body damage. minor paint fading. needs a clutch fan, and just need to replace a few hoses. $700. the only thing i cant wait to do is put in that r154. oh so thank you all for the help. cant wait to start posting up some build threads
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #24
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by james123 View Post
i got the car today. absolutely amazing. ive always wanted a supra (any year) since i was little so this is kind of a dream come true. barely any body damage. minor paint fading. needs a clutch fan, and just need to replace a few hoses. $700. the only thing i cant wait to do is put in that r154. oh so thank you all for the help. cant wait to start posting up some build threads
stalker.........
Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

ok so just an update. i almost have the head off and am ready to have everything take to the machine shop. but me and my girl had a sudden realization. our engine has 240,xxx on it, its non turbo, and were pushing this build to close to the amount of a rebuilt 7m-gte......... so why not get one?

in the net couple days were going to be checking out some engines to see whats up and what our possibilities are.

i know theres not a whole lot of people reading this but......

journaling is fun.

PEACE!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #26
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbikeguy View Post
ok so just an update. i almost have the head off and am ready to have everything take to the machine shop. but me and my girl had a sudden realization. our engine has 240,xxx on it, its non turbo, and were pushing this build to close to the amount of a rebuilt 7m-gte......... so why not get one?
That's what I was getting at... you're gunna spend soo much money fixing the 240k 7mge, and you still wanna swap... you might as well do the 7mgte when you do the swap... might have sound mixed or confusing since I think when I was trying to point out the 7mgte would be a quicker swap with less of a price tag, you were still thinking about 2jz swaps.. 240k miles, I'd definaly consider tossing that engine and putting in a JDM 7mgte w/ ~40k miles.. or you can send your 7mge to the shop, pay them what you'd pay to have a 7mgte dropped in (not including cost of the engine, tranny, tranny swap or combo thereof). Dunno about you, but I'd have much more peace of mind knowing I put something reliable in my car rather than something old and restored to hold together... knowing I got more power out of it would just be an added bonus.
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #27
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

yea totally agreed. do you know any good, honest places i can get a used 7m-gte? or even a rebuild thats not too pricey? honestly im worried im gonna get screwed over again on a bad engine. i have BHGphobia.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #28
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

hey krem what do you think?

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...fo-needed.html

and soooooo i found a good deal.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=260501792873

i cant find any rebuilt engines that are going to be cheaper than me just rebuilding this one. man these engines are stressful
Old 11-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #29
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Sweet! Somehow he managed to do it with less work than any I've seen. I didn't see any info regarding the trans tunnel, did he say anywhere else if he had to pound it out or not?
sorry that took so long. his build wasnt very informative but according to some threads i have read its easier to do a swap like that because its right hand drive. bla bla bla bla something about the firewall is different...........

those jerks.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #30
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

I don't think I'd go thru the rebuild myself... now maybe if I were as inclined, mechanically, as some of the other posters I've seen here, I might attempt the rebuild. The downside of that would be I'd still be dealing with a naturally aspired engine on a 4 speed automatic transmission. :\

I think you might not be using the best search queries for what you're lookin for. If you want a replacement or a swap, try "JDM (engine code) swap" IE: "JDM 7mgte swap". If you're more lookin at doin the engine and tranny, as it sounds you are, you probably want to look for front clips. This is essentially everything from the firewall forward (as I had it described to me), sometimes including the front portion of the chassis/body. Can easily find that in a search for "(Engine code) Front Clip". IE: "7mgte Front Clip".

Just a quickie, I've found a couple links, tho I'm not sure of the reputability of the sites.

JDM Front Clips (Looks like the 7m doesn't have a tranny, only the jz's)

JDM Front Clips, Engines and/or Trannies (Website looks better put together)
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote