Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road
Default Coolent hose leak. probably heater core

Hi. First I would like to say thanks to everyone. I have been lurking for a few years, reading and finding solutions to my problems. Never had a problem I couldn't find an answer to. Even now with my Coolant leak problem I know what to do just simply by reading post topics. but Ill dive into my details to see any feedback.

Same problems and others, refilling my overflow tank every day. I decided to take a look and discovered a steady stream of coolant from the bottom of the car to the ground around the front two corners of my oil pan. Started checking the usual suspects, Thermostat and variouse other front ez accessible hoses. The location of the pooling and dripping made me suspect the leak was comming from someplace near the Firewall. I haven't been able to locate the exact source of the drip. Those hoses are a pain to get to with a fully intact moter. Also adding into the mix an exaust leak. so all my wires and hoses are a bit greezy on the passenger side.

Thanks to all for posting the diagrams and hose placements. those really come in handy for a novice like myself. I still get antzy being under my car. If thats any relation to how green to moter repaire I am. Anyone else Locate and repaire heater core inlet / outlet hoses w/o disassembling the moter for an ez reach? thanks in advance
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that kind of leak. Your best bet is to pressurize the coolant system and look for it while it's spraying. Most auto parts stores sell the kit to do this and many rent them.

You could try a dye/blacklight kit, but it can be hard finding the source of a leak that way if the coolant's getting thrown araound or if it's actually spraying... still better than nothing.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, it is probably one of the two hoses which connect behind the head... a major pain to replace.

The pressure tester is very simple... a radiator cap (which doesn't vent) and a pump. When the engine is cool, put the cap on, attach the hose to the pump and start pumping away. It's easiest to do with two people, one pumping and the other looking around with a towel. Use the towel to dry the wet area as you close in on the leak if it's not something you see right away. Also, make sure the coolant system is as full as you can get it... it doesn't work if the leak is above the coolant level.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

valve to heater hose. special order from napa auto parts. I went to aap and got a hose that sorta fit. but the routing and size was all wrong.. better to have a perfect fit rather then another leak and future problems
the fix is straight forward.
10MM socket on small ratchet w/ elbow fits perfect.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
valve to heater hose. special order from napa auto parts.
Did this come with the VSV? The VSV is usually all needs replacing, but they're not cheap from Toyota. If it does include the VSV, how much was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
10MM socket on small ratchet w/ elbow fits perfect.
You're lucky, the clamp isn't always oriented in such a way that you can get to it... mine wasn't. The other problem a lot of people have is actually getting the old hose to come off. I'm glad it went well for you!
Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Did this come with the VSV?
No vsv. the hose im replacing is this one here (scroll down to the real photo with red circles, the black hose between the valve covers)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386
is the vsv the part that the hose connects into the moter through
Old 11-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The VSV is the solenoid (blue thing with wires and vacuum hoses connected to it) that connects to the heater control valve. It is what regulates the vacuum to the diaphragm (the bell looking doo-dah with the nipple on top and the rod connecting to the heater control valve). Typically, these are what fail and prevent the HCV from opening. I wanted to know if a new one came with the HCV you ordered and if so how much it was. Toyota's list price for just the VSV is over $200!!! Insane!

Gotcha on the hose... yeah, that one is managable. I was thinking of the small 90? one lower down... it's hell.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

I just ordered the hose.