Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Rob1 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with customizing

Ok i have a 1987 toyota supra with a 1989 supra non turbo 7mge. I do not like the stock ride height and would love to put it down a few inches for a better look and better handling, but mostly for looks right now. the problem is, i would love to maintain the factory TEMS system, i know it does not effect much but i still think it is cool to have. Im not looking to spend a fortune on it and if the TEMS must go i think i will live but does anyone have any suggestions as to how i should go about lowering it??
Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The most aggressive drop you'll see from springs alone is about 2" B+G and H&R both make sets with that much drop. I can't remember which but one is a raked set and one is a level drop all the way around.

As for shocks, if you're looking to keep the TEMS functionality you're limited:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/View...tails=Illumina
I don't know of any other shocks which are TEMS compatible.

If you're looking for a ridiculous drop (more than 2") you could pair up one of the spring sets mentioned above with Bilstein dampers. The Bilsteins have an adjustable spring perch which gives you an inch or so of additional adjustment. Otherwise it's time to look into coil overs (some of which do offer addon electronic control systems similar to TEMS).

If you doing all this to remove lean and the springs don't do the trick it's time to upgrade your anti-sway bars and start replacing bushings.

EDIT: Here's a link to a shop I trust that sells a few different springs for our cars. The drop heights listed are debatable but it'll still give you a good idea as to which grant the biggest drop.
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...ension/Springs

Last edited by cre; 10-21-2009 at 06:00 PM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
The most aggressive drop you'll see from springs alone is about 2" B+G and H&R both make sets with that much drop. I can't remember which but one is a raked set and one is a level drop all the way around.

As for shocks, if you're looking to keep the TEMS functionality you're limited:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/View...tails=Illumina
I don't know of any other shocks which are TEMS compatible.

If you're looking for a ridiculous drop (more than 2") you could pair up one of the spring sets mentioned above with Bilstein dampers. The Bilsteins have an adjustable spring perch which gives you an inch or so of additional adjustment. Otherwise it's time to look into coil overs (some of which do offer addon electronic control systems similar to TEMS).

If you doing all this to remove lean and the springs don't do the trick it's time to upgrade your anti-sway bars and start replacing bushings.

ok two inches would probly be fine for me, which set of springs would you recomend??
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I run Eibach springs and KYB GR-2 dampers. I don't have a lot of scrubbing or bottoming out issues with the Eibachs, but it does happen a bit. Anything lower around here would be awful.

I did a lot of work on one local MKIII owner's car who is running H&Rs and Tokico Illuminas (I am not a Tokico fan). It's not really a ton lower than mine but it's an ass pounding. Of course he's also running 18" wheels... His car has just as much roll in the turns as mine.

At the end of the day you're most likely going to find that anything is going to be TONS better than the 20yo springs you've got on there right now.

(This reminds me, I've got a blue TEMS indicator light set I really need to get off my butt and sell...)
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
I run Eibach springs and KYB GR-2 dampers. I don't have a lot of scrubbing or bottoming out issues with the Eibachs, but it does happen a bit. Anything lower around here would be awful.

I did a lot of work on one local MKIII owner's car who is running H&Rs and Tokico Illuminas (I am not a Tokico fan). It's not really a ton lower than mine but it's an ass pounding. Of course he's also running 18" wheels... His car has just as much roll in the turns as mine.

At the end of the day you're most likely going to find that anything is going to be TONS better than the 20yo springs you've got on there right now.

(This reminds me, I've got a blue TEMS indicator light set I really need to get off my butt and sell...)
\

Sweet ok about how much did your set up cost?? and can you send me a link to both of those parts the springs and the dampners.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Same page I posted for the springs:

The Eibach Pro Kit are the springs I run... actually, they're the most commonly used upgrade spring for these cars. I like them a lot. They're from a very reputable company and unlike some of the other brands out there you read any reports about them sagging after a few years.

They are a progressive rate spring which is what you generally want in a daily driver and it is probably the only thing you've ever experienced driving on. To keep it simple this means that the spring starts out a little soft so small bumps are absorbed readily and as more pressure is put on the spring it gets harder and harder to compress further in situations such as cornering. The alternative is a linear rate spring such as those made by Suspension Techniques. Linear springs are preferred on track vehicles as they're VERY predictable. Some people really like this on thier weekend car... I myself find the Eibach's to be stiff enough all the way around that they're plenty predictable after a couple days of getting used to them. Like I said though... anything will feel better than 20yo springs!

The dampers I run are KYB GR-2s found here:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...pension/Shocks

These are not an adjustable damper though... no TEMS. These hae been great shocks and I'd definitely buy them again. They're the least expensive damper available for our cars, are made by a very reputable manufacturer (they make performance dampers for other vehicles and a lot of OEM applications). They tend to be much more reliable than the Tokico "Blue's" and they cost less. They're not as commonly run as the blues as people seem to think the low price means they're crap... I've got 5 years on mine now and the streets here are not the greatest.

It's not as if you can't swap back in TEMS compatible shock though if you decide you want the TEMS functionality though... so if you're looking to experiment this would be the cheap route.

These are not an overly stiff damper. IMO, they're perfect for a daily driver without being mushy like my wife's Honda's suspension. In contrast Bilsteins are brutal stiff and Tokico Illumina IIs (The TEMS compatible ones) range from a bit softer than the GR-2s to a bit softer than Bilsteins.

Does that help?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Same page I posted for the springs:

The Eibach Pro Kit are the springs I run... actually, they're the most commonly used upgrade spring for these cars. I like them a lot. They're from a very reputable company and unlike some of the other brands out there you read any reports about them sagging after a few years.

They are a progressive rate spring which is what you generally want in a daily driver and it is probably the only thing you've ever experienced driving on. To keep it simple this means that the spring starts out a little soft so small bumps are absorbed readily and as more pressure is put on the spring it gets harder and harder to compress further in situations such as cornering. The alternative is a linear rate spring such as those made by Suspension Techniques. Linear springs are preferred on track vehicles as they're VERY predictable. Some people really like this on thier weekend car... I myself find the Eibach's to be stiff enough all the way around that they're plenty predictable after a couple days of getting used to them. Like I said though... anything will feel better than 20yo springs!

The dampers I run are KYB GR-2s found here:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...pension/Shocks

These are not an adjustable damper though... no TEMS. These hae been great shocks and I'd definitely buy them again. They're the least expensive damper available for our cars, are made by a very reputable manufacturer (they make performance dampers for other vehicles and a lot of OEM applications). They tend to be much more reliable than the Tokico "Blue's" and they cost less. They're not as commonly run as the blues as people seem to think the low price means they're crap... I've got 5 years on mine now and the streets here are not the greatest.

It's not as if you can't swap back in TEMS compatible shock though if you decide you want the TEMS functionality though... so if you're looking to experiment this would be the cheap route.

These are not an overly stiff damper. IMO, they're perfect for a daily driver without being mushy like my wife's Honda's suspension. In contrast Bilsteins are brutal stiff and Tokico Illumina IIs (The TEMS compatible ones) range from a bit softer than the GR-2s to a bit softer than Bilsteins.

Does that help?
Yes thank you that helps alot. so i will probly spend about $600 to do the same setup as what your running??
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

You can put it together for less if you shop around a bit. I've done a good amount of business with HPF in the past so the rep I usually dealt with gave me some good breaks on the pricing by matching and beating prices I found elsewhere... I don't know if you'll be able to do it quite as inexpensively as I did, but $450 to $500 should be doable.

On a side note, for those who are interested GR-2 does make an adjustable damper which is compatible with our front end... the front dampers for the MKIV fit. These are not a TEMS compatible damper, you have to adjust them yourself (from under the hood, IIRC).

Too bad you're not local, I'd let yu take mine for a spin so you really decide.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
You can put it together for less if you shop around a bit. I've done a good amount of business with HPF in the past so the rep I usually dealt with gave me some good breaks on the pricing by matching and beating prices I found elsewhere... I don't know if you'll be able to do it quite as inexpensively as I did, but $450 to $500 should be doable.

On a side note, for those who are interested GR-2 does make an adjustable damper which is compatible with our front end... the front dampers for the MKIV fit. These are not a TEMS compatible damper, you have to adjust them yourself (from under the hood, IIRC).

Too bad you're not local, I'd let yu take mine for a spin so you really decide.
yeah but thanks for the thought anyway lol ill look into alittle more but thanks for the advice, ill send you a private message with mt email in it you should send me some pictures of your supra so i can see the stance.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
*D-Joker*
Intake

*D-Joker* is on a distinguished road

hey there...
was reading your thread, but im from Australia...do you have "king springs" over there???
because if you do, look at them, they are very good, and you can get them in a variety of lowered settings...
if you want bout up to 2inches lower look at the 'super lows' series.
...if you want up to 3 inches look at 'ultra lows'
when i say "up to" its because depending on weight, and the spring (they are not cut identical, and at a perfect length)

also, if your planning on going shorter, i would consider getting shorter shocks aswell, for the simple fact that because the spring is shorter, it throw on the shock will be to long for it, and if you hit a bump and get some air, your spring could fall out (it has happened to a friend) hahaha

but if they arent over there...i wouldnt know if they would be worth shipping over there

hope that was a bit of help
*D-Joker* is offline   Reply With Quote