Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road
Default Supra 87 7mge

Hi, im new to the site,
Just sold my 1985 supra, and recantly upgraded to a 87 7mge and deciding to restore the interior, and get some extra hp

First off, if anyone has any suggestions, when the car idols "some times" it wants to die a bit and drops down to 200-300 rpms, but i just give it some gas and it goes away...
i never have the problem when driving, (accel/ deccel) Possibly air/ gas problem, or ecu is going slowly??

secondly, motor was recantly rebuilt, and its got head/w new exhaust,
was thinking of buying some nice cams, any other suggestions, to start me off in the hp direction...
also some one played with distributer, and car is laim until it hits 3500rpm, then car jumps forward with all ist power.(also has a bit of a flat spot in acceleration ...) anyone know anything about setting it back to stock?? cant seem to find anything about it in my haynes repair manual... and its pissing me off because my 85 supra with 170 hp had more bottem end hp plz help me fix...

would love to get some ideas/ thought/ opinions anything would help from people who are driving same car thanks!!!
pics comin soon
CanadianBak'inSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
86.5supra
3" Exhaust

86.5supra is on a distinguished road

to get extra horse power the first thing you want to do is junk that 7mge and put in a 7mgte or 1jzgte.
The problem your having with the idol is an vacume leak. for the cams get a set of 272 intake and exhaust everyone makes them for the supra. the problem your having with the bottom end power probly comes from your exhaust being to big of a diameter for the power you really have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBak'inSupra View Post
Hi, im new to the site,
Just sold my 1985 supra, and recantly upgraded to a 87 7mge and deciding to restore the interior, and get some extra hp

First off, if anyone has any suggestions, when the car idols "some times" it wants to die a bit and drops down to 200-300 rpms, but i just give it some gas and it goes away...
i never have the problem when driving, (accel/ deccel) Possibly air/ gas problem, or ecu is going slowly??

secondly, motor was recantly rebuilt, and its got head/w new exhaust,
was thinking of buying some nice cams, any other suggestions, to start me off in the hp direction...
also some one played with distributer, and car is laim until it hits 3500rpm, then car jumps forward with all ist power.(also has a bit of a flat spot in acceleration ...) anyone know anything about setting it back to stock?? cant seem to find anything about it in my haynes repair manual... and its pissing me off because my 85 supra with 170 hp had more bottem end hp plz help me fix...

would love to get some ideas/ thought/ opinions anything would help from people who are driving same car thanks!!!
pics comin soon
86.5supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
CanadianBak'inSupra

ill chek for vacume holes thanks!
its missing the box the air filter is "supposed to sit in" and a k&n is hose clamped on...
and i am not intrested in turbo, maby when i get more money, but for now gona keep it simple

ill chek and see what i got for exhaust...
does anyone know of some mods i can get more bottem end power??
otherwise i gotta hit a corner at 60mph to get a decant drift...

Last edited by CanadianBak'inSupra; 10-17-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added to reply
Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The only way you're going to get more bottom end than what you've got is to fix what's wrong, tweak the timing a bit perhaps and reduce weight. While the 7M-GE may be stronger than the 5M (or possibly 6M) that your MKII had, the car itself is a LOT heavier.

Check for stored error codes first: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTi...ror_codes.aspx

If the car feels like a slug until you hit around 4KRPM you should pay extra attention to the vacuum tubing around and under the intake plenum. There's a vacuum actuator down below the Y pipe which controls a butterfly valve in the upper plenum. This modulates the airflow shifting the velocity and pressure. If it is not operating properly you'll see a big loss in power prior to 4KRPM. A simple way to check it is to look at the actuator's armature and rev the engine quickly to over 4K. The system is called the ACIS in the MKIV service manuals (there's a different name that was used in the MKIII literature, but everyone refers to it as the ACIS).

Getting the air filter out of the engine bay is a big priority in my book. Either add some piping and extend it up under the headlight or build a box around it so it's not drawing air from the engine bay... also, K&N filter suck.... I'd replace it with either an Apex'i or a AEM Dryflow filter.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
CanadianBak'inSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
The only way you're going to get more bottom end than what you've got is to fix what's wrong, tweak the timing a bit perhaps and reduce weight. While the 7M-GE may be stronger than the 5M (or possibly 6M) that your MKII had, the car itself is a LOT heavier.

Check for stored error codes first: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTi...ror_codes.aspx

If the car feels like a slug until you hit around 4KRPM you should pay extra attention to the vacuum tubing around and under the intake plenum. There's a vacuum actuator down below the Y pipe which controls a butterfly valve in the upper plenum. This modulates the airflow shifting the velocity and pressure. If it is not operating properly you'll see a big loss in power prior to 4KRPM. A simple way to check it is to look at the actuator's armature and rev the engine quickly to over 4K. The system is called the ACIS in the MKIV service manuals (there's a different name that was used in the MKIII literature, but everyone refers to it as the ACIS).

Getting the air filter out of the engine bay is a big priority in my book. Either add some piping and extend it up under the headlight or build a box around it so it's not drawing air from the engine bay... also, K&N filter suck.... I'd replace it with either an Apex'i or a AEM Dryflow filter.
thanks ill try checking all my intake better and under the y piece on my block..

yesterday baught a new door and installed it all wiring and electronics work "perfect"
also i baught an ecu off a crashed 89 supra and will be trying it out today.
also just before my air filter, where a larger/wider peice of my intake has been removed and replaced with a pipe, (to fit on the upper strut bar)
could that piece be the problem??
i baught the piece last night off the crashed 89, and will be installing it in the next few days!
also gonna chek error codes! thanks alot this will help me big time!!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
CanadianBak'inSupra

just checked and i got error code 11
2 blinks all together, 1 then 1

so gona try the newer ecu now...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
CanadianBak'inSupra

think the ecu was failing and causing a flat spot around 140-150 km/h
changed the ecu from and i noticed the difrances when starting it...
more power.. everywhere...
also thinking i was gona route air filter/intake to infront of my radiator...
gona take some custom fitting...