Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
OsiowyMK3
Stock

OsiowyMK3 is on a distinguished road
Default 7m-ge and 7m-gte blocks

I currently have a 1989 Toyota Supra MK3 N/A. The previous owner sent a rod through the block. I found a new turbo block. Will I be able to replace the blown N/A block with this new turbo block? I researched the only differences is that the turbo is coilpack and n/a is distributor and the turbo has lower compression which wont affect anything since this will be a nicely driven daily car. Can anyone tell me different or give pointers?
OsiowyMK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Turbo oil feed and return will need to be blanked off on the turbo block; you’ll probably find the blanking plate and capping screw on your NA block already fitted just swap them over. The turbo block also has oil squirters (jets) fitted under each bore to cool the piston/bore down. Probably an advantage to leave them as they are. Oil dipstick tube and dipstick are different, that’s about it I think.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty you'll want to swap over the electronics including the distributor, various VSV's and the engine wire harness. Splice the GTE blocks two knock sensor wires into one wire as the N/A has only one sensor, swap the intake cam over, swap the intake over and so on...

It's not really as bad as it sounds, but there are a number of differences. The GTE also has a lower compression ratio, so the car may feel a little more sluggish than you're used to.

EDIT, yeah, don't worry about the oil squirters. The GTE's got a stronger oil pump to accommodate the squirters, turbo and oil cooler.

Oh, and you'll also need to remove the oil filter mount on the GTE and swap in the little nipple on the GE for the filter... the angled mount on the GTE is for the GTE's oil cooler system, but even if you want an oil cooler, the stock system is crap.

Last edited by cre; 10-11-2009 at 03:30 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
OsiowyMK3
Stock

So its not a take out and put in the new block routine? all I need is the bottom end, but i thought might as well put the whole new block in. Everything seems to be the same except like you said the turbo stuff has to be blocked off and the distribute and coilpack switched.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You can strip it down to a bare longblock, but you'll still need to keep the 2 knock sensors from the GTE and wire them together, cap the turbo oil and drain ports, remove the GTE oil filter mount and you really should swap the Intake cam... past that swap on all of the GE's piping (vacuum, intake and coolant) and the wiring harness... didn't I just say all of that?

There's not really much you can do to cheat your way out of some labor... you could skip swapping the intake and cam over, but it'll cost you a very good amount of power. The 7M-GE powered Cressida has an intake almost identical to the GTE's and it makes a good amount less power than the Supra's 7M-GE with the ACIS system.... I'm thinking the difference is 10 to 20 HP, but the the power curves are also much weaker. Anyway, as I said, it may sound like a lot, but if you know your way around cars well enough it's nothing big.

Heh, as I said the pistons are different and the GTE has oil squirters which spray the pistons with oil for cooling... can't really even say the bottom end is identical... granted, none of this matters although the compression difference might be noticeable (especially if you don't swap over the intake system and cam).
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
OsiowyMK3
Stock

All I want is it to run. Don't care about the horse power, it's my winter car. and when summer comes its my sisters. I have a running turbo one waiting for the snow to melt. So I hope it is easy to get it running...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Supra_Newb
Stock

Supra_Newb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiowyMK3 View Post
All I want is it to run. Don't care about the horse power, it's my winter car. and when summer comes its my sisters. I have a running turbo one waiting for the snow to melt. So I hope it is easy to get it running...
I'm sorry, but they're offering you the information you need to do the swap, which IS, by the way, what you asked for. If you can't handle the information and accept the fact, that NO it isn't going to be a "remove engine, insert engine, mount engine" job, then you didn't need to ask.
Automatic

Supra_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
OsiowyMK3
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Newb View Post
I'm sorry, but they're offering you the information you need to do the swap, which IS, by the way, what you asked for. If you can't handle the information and accept the fact, that NO it isn't going to be a "remove engine, insert engine, mount engine" job, then you didn't need to ask.

ok bud, just calm down. I got what I wanted to know, and i'm just saying that i dont care about horsepower, sooo... just chill. I knew it wasent going to be easy, i'm just curious what, if any, differences i didn't know about.