Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Newb View Post
I've only had mine for about a month, but I love it to death already, haven't gotten nearly much work done on it, but I know when I'm done with it she'll be driving like a champ.
I would love a 93 though can't seem to find any where I'm from unless I want to pay out like 10 Grand, because it was someone elses project.
My 89 still turns heads and people ask me all kinds of questions, some I can't even answer.
89's (mk3) can be just as good as 93's (mk4)... The mk4's are expensive... 10k for someone's project car means it's probably not running, or needs more attention... I see them going for 16k on low end for good condition out here in the Southwest.. however, with time and money, you can put a 2jz into the mk3.. but you might wanna swap the trannies too...
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
supra87maniac
Stock

supra87maniac is on a distinguished road

You can actually keep the stock transmission, just use a 1jz bell housing and i think you have to change the flywheel( not sure on the flywheel), but im 100% sure on the bellhousing. That is if you have the R-154 5 speed transmission.
supra87maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 AM   #13
86.5 7MGE
3" Exhaust

86.5 7MGE is on a distinguished road

I have had my 7MGE 86.5 for about a year and six months, and compared to when I got it to now you'll not notice the car because I have done so much to it already. It's a great car and I love her wouldn't sell her for nothing. She's gonna cost money until every single part of the car is new and it has nothing to tear down. Of course my car is 22yrs + and I'm gonna keep on restoring and tuning her until I can say that I'm done. I just replaced a brand new water pump and now she won't start I have suspicions that I have messed up the timing so now I'll know to mark the crank pulleys along the block so I will know where it was. But, I have been told it's time to replace my timing belt anyways so here I go. By the way does anyone know where I can get a better explanation (in steps) on how to change out my timing belt on my N/A I have looked in my Haynes book, all over Supra Forums and still haven't found a good detailed one and have also looked on cygnus x1 for tips too and nothing. Thanks
NGK Wires and Plugs
Hi Flow CAT
MR Muffler
Super Coil
Techna Fit Brake lines
Clear Corner Turn Signal Lens
Projector Head Lights
Evo Fog Lights
Evo Body Kit
Soon ---> 3'' Exhaust
86.5 7MGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, 5 or 6 years here... got the car for $300, not running and all of the suspension components in the passenger side wheel wells damaged beyond repair. Turbo'd now, running MAFT Pro on N/A electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5 7MGE View Post
By the way does anyone know where I can get a better explanation (in steps) on how to change out my timing belt on my N/A I have looked in my Haynes book, all over Supra Forums and still haven't found a good detailed one and have also looked on cygnus x1 for tips too and nothing. Thanks
Toss the Haynes in the trash...

Look here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ection=EM&P=22

The Toyota Service and Repair Manual for the MKIII. Pay VERY close attention to the torque specifications, failure to do so may result in damage where you least expect it (for example a warped #1 cylinder wall due to over tightening the timing belt tensioner pulley).
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Pay VERY close attention to the torque specifications, failure to do so may result in damage where you least expect it (for example a warped #1 cylinder wall due to over tightening the timing belt tensioner pulley).
Just had distributor replaced and timing set to top dead center... after, seems like she bogs more than before... really struggling to gain power till after 3000 rpm... could over tightened tensioner cause this problem?
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krem View Post
Just had distributor replaced and timing set to top dead center... after, seems like she bogs more than before... really struggling to gain power till after 3000 rpm... could over tightened tensioner cause this problem?
No. An overtightened tensioner won't cause what you describe. The most common and likely problems are: bad TPS or misaligned TPS, bad airflow meter, improper ignition advance or bad mechanical timing, vacuum leak.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #17
86.5 7MGE
3" Exhaust

86.5 7MGE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Oh, 5 or 6 years here... got the car for $300, not running and all of the suspension components in the passenger side wheel wells damaged beyond repair. Turbo'd now, running MAFT Pro on N/A electronics.

Toss the Haynes in the trash...

Look here: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ection=EM&P=22

The Toyota Service and Repair Manual for the MKIII. Pay VERY close attention to the torque specifications, failure to do so may result in damage where you least expect it (for example a warped #1 cylinder wall due to over tightening the timing belt tensioner pulley).
Thanks a lot CRE
NGK Wires and Plugs
Hi Flow CAT
MR Muffler
Super Coil
Techna Fit Brake lines
Clear Corner Turn Signal Lens
Projector Head Lights
Evo Fog Lights
Evo Body Kit
Soon ---> 3'' Exhaust
86.5 7MGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

"Owned" 85 supra for 1 year ran on 260/60r14s replaced alternator, and did my Regular maintenance(pads spark plugs distributer caps bla bla), had to sell it because "major leak" i was putting 5 liters/month of oil and i could do 2 things...
find and fix leak/ lots of money losing...
or sell the car for 2000$ (and i did) and buy my friends 87 supra N/A (230'000 on car with a total engine rebuild year and a half ago)
started fresh.. really really miss the other car though..
but on the other hand i decided to find another 85 supra in my later days..
i can't wait, think about drifting it again every day...
CanadianBak'inSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Devicehead
Stock

Devicehead is on a distinguished road

About three years now owning my '87 turbo. payed $500.00 for it sitting dead in the mud for like 2 years or something. ...people. I restored it to minimum safety requirements and drove for 2 years. Raced a friend one day and BHG. Currently in the middle of a complete overhaul. threw some pics up on the BHG thread.
Devicehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
suprajim
Intake

suprajim is on a distinguished road

I owned an 89 Turbo about 10 years ago. I had it for two years and was always having to fix something. It seemed like I would fix one problem and a few weeks later, I was fixing something else. Finally blew the head gasket and had to part with it. Even with all of the problems, I always wanted to get another. Two months ago I found a red 92 Turbo. It needs a little TLC on the body and interior, but runs good...except for the CEL due to a mystery O2 sensor problem. I don't think an MK3 is a daily driver, but definitely worth keeping for the weekends.
suprajim is offline   Reply With Quote