Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

$583 for the head refurbishment at a guess, just make sure there’s no beads left inside the cam covers. Its also very common to have radial score marks on some of the cams and journals which shouldn’t be a problem.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

oregonjoe is on a distinguished road
Default Head costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
$583 for the head refurbishment at a guess, just make sure there’s no beads left inside the cam covers. Its also very common to have radial score marks on some of the cams and journals which shouldn’t be a problem.
Well now I don't feel as bad for the $400 it cost me. And yes there were some score marks on the CAM journals which the shop said not to worry about. But one questions is - how diffucult should the CAMs be to turn when all torqued down? I supose it would have been good to have assembled everthing with out the valves so we could feel how smooth the cams turned without resistance. Just have to trust the shop?

With the CAMs and head on the block - they can be turned by hand but sure feels strange when all th lobes engage the tappets.

Funny thing is - my very first car I every worked on was a 69 English Rover Sedan with overhead CAM and timing chain - twin carbs too!
oregonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

Default Dipstick

I am having a problem with the dipstick. Just can't get it reinstalled correctly.

When it came out was just pressed fit in but took some doing to twist it out. Even tough I did nothing to it - now when I reinstall it just slips in with out any resistance and spins around. Did not bore or scrub anything.

Checked that it bottoms out - jsut too loose in there now.

Is there some sort of adheasive to trick to reinstall?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Bill UK
AEM EMS

The dipstick tube that’s protrudes into the sump was a very tight fit, the external tube that I think your referring to was very loose, I think there’s an O ring on the bottom of it, I just smeared some silicon sealant over the O ring a pushed it in, that was 2 years ago. No sign of a leak so far. If you are referring to the dipstick, then the only thing it could be is the rubber part at the top has shrunk slightly, there are products that will rejuvenate rubber seals to make them soft such as windscreen wipes etc, cant say I've ever used them though.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

Default Dipstick

Thanks Bill UK. I am going to pull it out and have another look - it dosn't seem right. The problm is it in between the Engine mount bracket so it not easy to get too.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

Default Timing Belt

Installing the timing belt on a Supra is much easier then a 4-Runner. The manual says to install the crank sprocket, lower timing cover and crank damper in order to see where TDC for number one cylinder is but I preferred to get the belt on and set up the timing with them off so I can see what is going on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5967.JPG
Views:	1006
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	2350

Turns out that on the 90 Supra, all the marks are at 12 O’clock. Set both cam sprockets to 12 o’clock and the tab on the crank to 12 o’clock and you have it right.

Wrap the belt around the crank sprocket and up to the left around the oil pump sprocket, pull tight, then around both cams and the idler pulley. Double check the marks again because they will move as the belt goes on. I had to do this three times till they were correct. Now put the spring on the idler and give the crank a few spins to see if the marks still line up. Tighten the idler bolt to 35 ft-pounds and spin the crank again. Loosen the idler bolt, wedge a large screw driver in to tighten up the belt tension and retourque the idler bolt and your done.

Name:	DSCN5969.JPG
Views:	1364
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	2351

Before I put the top timing cover on, I installed the distributor to get it set to Number 1 spark since I had the engine at TDC on the compression stroke.

Name:	DSCN5973.JPG
Views:	1030
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	2352

Water pump went on next and I’m making progress.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
oregonjoe
3" Exhaust

Default dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
The dipstick tube that’s protrudes into the sump was a very tight fit, the external tube that I think your referring to was very loose, I think there’s an O ring on the bottom of it, I just smeared some silicon sealant over the O ring a pushed it in, that was 2 years ago. No sign of a leak so far. If you are referring to the dipstick, then the only thing it could be is the rubber part at the top has shrunk slightly, there are products that will rejuvenate rubber seals to make them soft such as windscreen wipes etc, cant say I've ever used them though.

After reading your post again - I see waht you were saying. I was referring tot he external support tube - not he actual dipsick with level marks. Sounds like yours was very loose too? I tried some RTV but still seems to move around quite easily. It just that if I do have a problem once the engine is back together - it going to real had to get to it.

Is there some support clamp or somthing that keeps it from moving??
Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Bill UK
AEM EMS

The 7M-GTE dipstick tube has a bracket which bolts onto the Turbo, not sure about the non turbo engine, I would have though it would be secured at some point, otherwise it would pull out when removing the dipstick.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Looks like the non-turbo engine has a dipstick tube that screw into the bock with no support bracket.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
cvbikeguy
3" Exhaust

cvbikeguy is on a distinguished road

oh another question. your block too a week in the machine shop....

but what about the head?
cvbikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote