Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
justin_lk
Stock

justin_lk is on a distinguished road
Default mls hg swap or new motor?

yay bought my first supra only problem is blow head gasket coolant is boiling out of overflow after driving for a long period of time wondering if its worth it to do the mls head gasket swap on a na 5 speed 7mge? im looking to push it to about 300-400 hp na sorry guys dont like the high maintenance costs of a turbo or would it be easier to just say hell with it and get a turbo motor then buy a mls hg for it? also how long/ hard of a job is the headgasket change on a supra? its a 1986.5
justin_lk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Well, doing a head gasket is not that bad, there are plenty of write ups out there on it and as long as you take your time, do your research, and label everything you take off the engine you should be good.

Ideally you want to get the head rebuilt and planed, that usually consists of the machine shop taking everything apart, cleaning it, and planing.

400hp from a NA is a number that really cant be met easily, the best way to build a engine would be to buy another one. A JDM engine would be the way to go, so you can build it and still drive your car until you finish your engine, you would need to get a stroker and boar kit, then you would need to seriously beef up the valve train, new seals, springs, retainers, valves, etc.. You would want to get some oversized valves as well. Then you would need to get yourself some aggressive cams, but with that will kill your smooth idol and you would have less power in your lower rpm band. Next you would need to have some headers made, as there is no header out there that is correctly tuned for the 7M, then ITB (individual throttle bodies) these would have to be completely custom and would cost a lot, they would also need some math to create the intake stalks as well. After all that you would then have to get a Maft Pro or standalone ECU to be able to run all those upgrades, and then a new clutch and flywheel.

Hope this helps.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
shiftysupra
3" Exhaust

shiftysupra is on a distinguished road

Well for a stroker kit your going to gain good numbers in the low and mid-range rpms, but will lose hp in the higher rpm range. Also your putting alot of stress on the engine if you turbo it because longer rods and oversquare rod/stroke ratio. In a manual transmission you would stay in gears shorter periods of time. When you put a stroker kit your limiting it's rev capability. I agree with buying an engine and building it. I would repair your BHG and then slowly build the other engine.
shiftysupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Im not sure (cause I have not noticed any difference), but how is a Turbo high maintenance cost-wise? If you do normal maintenance and dont do silly things like drive hard, then shut down the engine right away, how is it higher maintenance?

Also, we all have our wants... but why would you want 400 hp out of a car like that without a turbo? Seems to me, your doing something to get more power, but dont want to pay the price. Pretty sure if you do all required to push an auto above 300 HP, in the end, your shortening that engine life and increasing maintenance costs in comparison to just dropping in a properly built turbo engine. I have trouble driving sanely with 250 HP... 400 HP... makes me wonder why people want that..

This is, of course, just my comment... but at 400-450 HP.. wouldn't you be looking at offroad racing? (racetrack) The car's damn fast as is.. lol
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
shiftysupra
3" Exhaust

shiftysupra is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree and disagree with Grandavi. One, yes we do have our wants and even 250 as he said it's hard to drive sanely. Of course we all want higher horse power cars, the more horsepower your squeezing from your engine the more care you have to show towards your car. Secondly (why I personally disagree) I love having that power. BUT to be honest you have to really determine what your goals are, meaning that if it's going to be a daily driver 400 hp would be good but remember the maintenance on it will go up a bit. Plus you will need to (and you should) be running Premium fuel. These cars are not like cheap dates, you cheap out on them they will screw you... That being said and as Chambers and said 400 hp from a NA auto is not really a realistic option. Being that the NA's trannys can only hold approx 400hp but not for long and especially if your driving like a bat out of hell. SO if you do want 400hp get a 7mgte that has a R154 tranny.

Honestly, Grandavi I dont think there is much of a price diff besides like premium fuel and such but I guess that all depends on how well you take care of your car which your car looks pretty nice.

Last edited by shiftysupra; 09-09-2008 at 10:17 PM.
shiftysupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
justin_lk
Stock

justin_lk is on a distinguished road

well my buddy had a plymoth laser turbo and he said maintenance costs go way up especially if something goes wrong its harder to find and theres more than can happen im going to repair the bhg in my supra and order a 7mgte and built it up over the winter then mount it up in summer the reason i wanted to do a na is cause i like naturally aspirated hp no offence to anyone but my first car was an 86 bmw 325 with 535 drivetrain and a 95 m3 saloon 3.2l 5 speed motor in it it took alot of custom work but after we installed cams aftermarket intake exhaust and put on lighter wheels it was rolling pretty fast my buddy had the supra i bought and he wanted the bmw it reached about 310 peak hp naturally aspirated i just think its fun to beat turbo cars with a non turbo just so you can laugh in the end but i think im gunna go the turbo route and yea these cars are fast but you never know when youll need speed thanks for the advice guys
justin_lk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

400hp NA, lol.

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnate View Post
400hp NA, lol.
Hey there, stop hatin! lol, anything is possible, just depends on your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_lk View Post
... the reason i wanted to do a na is cause i like naturally aspirated hp no offence to anyone but my first car was an 86 bmw 325 with 535 drivetrain and a 95 m3 saloon 3.2l 5 speed motor in it it took alot of custom work but after we installed cams aftermarket intake exhaust and put on lighter wheels it was rolling pretty fast my buddy had the supra i bought and he wanted the bmw it reached about 310 peak hp naturally aspirated i just think its fun to beat turbo cars with a non turbo just so you can laugh in the end but i think im gunna go the turbo route and yea these cars are fast but you never know when youll need speed thanks for the advice guys
Good to here your going turbo, you will love it, my friends turbo 87 is such a fun car. That must have been one fun BMW, I know they can be made into NA powerhouses but for some reason the NA Supras just do not get that kind of power gains from the simple bolt ons.

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
peer21
Stock

peer21 is on a distinguished road
Default car audio and alarm

Car audio resources with news, reviews, discussions and event coverage.car alarm is used to avoid theft.

---------------------
peer

Foreclosed Homes
peer21 is offline   Reply With Quote