Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #51
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

yeah. i think i found what it was. i had the charger on the old battery. the charger was on a 50 amp start, so it was getting a lota juice. one of my friends told me it was probably my alternator trying to make up for the added power going to the battery. so when i took off the charger for a few days and started it up last night, no whistle.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #52
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

lol.. odd : )
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #53
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road
Default disappointing night.

ok. i started it up last night cause i finally got my timing right and found the damn whistle. it was a vac leak.... haha. but anyways, i took it out for a nice slow spin around the block and as i take a corner gave it a little gas (maybe 3000 rpm) it starts to smoke again. im thinking the shop took off just a little too much from the head and the compression is too high therefore blowing another gasket. so i think i am done with this 7m. it has 201xxx miles on it so i really dont think it is going to last a few more years. so my new question,

what would i need for a direct drop in for a 1jz-gte. ecu?? would i need to re-route fuel and brake lines? would i need to make a new exhaust that would bolt up? i know the tranny still works but with a different bellhousing. ( am i correct???) and what do you think would be the final cost for everything?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #54
Benesesso
3" Exhaust

Benesesso is on a distinguished road

>"im thinking the shop took off just a little too much from the head and the compression is too high therefore blowing another gasket."<

Highly unlikely, especially if you haven't used full boost. I just reread this whole thread and didn't find any comments about it smoking before. What color is the smoke? Pull all 6 spark plugs and shine a small light into each cylinder. If you see any water, it's probably the head gasket again. If they are all dry, it's probably good. How much does it smoke? Maybe you can drive it thru the winter, save some $$$, and determine if the smoke is just valve seals/guides or rings/bearings. Worn rod bearings will throw a lot of oil on the cyl. walls, more than even good rings can handle.
"You see, wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates the same way: You send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat." A. Einstein

1988 and 1990 Turbo Supras
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #55
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
it has 201xxx miles on it so i really dont think it is going to last a few more years.
Well.. JZ-GTE's are excellent motors, but its not simply a dump and go operation from what I have read so far. The engine may be totally fine mind you.. but I have no idea what you done in total or what the engine has been through prior to your posts. However, I do have an issue with the 201xxx miles comment. We are in km's in Canada and 62000 miles is roughly 100000 kms. So... 201,000 miles is gonna be over 300,000 kms. If you get an engine to that point without rebuilding, I applaud whoever maintained it, because they did it right. The engine is still good, but a rebuild may be necessary. (you would know that better than I) One of the rules I use is, if you take an old engine and rebuild the top end... your gonna blow the bottom end... so... you dont do things half way.

So.. my question is... you replaced the head gasket.. anything else?

Others will correct this statement if I am wrong, but your farther ahead money-wise if you rebuilt the engine yourself. I wouldn't ignore the turbo though (this is a 7m-gte right?) but personally I wouldn't do the turbo myself because it has low tolerance for error.

I am not a trained mechanic but have rebuilt a few engines long ago, and the rule of thumb then was, Head gasket gone? Do a valve job. When you do a valve job you do the rings... at that point... you just say.. oh what the hell and do the whole engine. Its not that much more money if your doing it yourself.. although I shudder at the thought of rebuilding a 7m-gte... It looks like a real PITA to get the engine out.

mind you.. I would love to pull mine if I had a month of nothing much to do! I just make more money working then I do not working, so to me.. its cheaper to have it done.. plus I have someone to bitch at later if it doesnt work.

...then there's retooling for the job...
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote