Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
MeatRo
Stock

MeatRo is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about buying a MK3 Supra

1988 Supra Turbo 5 Speed, clean inside and out, Apexi intake, Magnaflow custom cat-back.
$650 OBO

The ad says it runs, but with BHG.

Now for the problem, I live 45 miles away and don't have access to a truck.
Could/Should I risk trying to limp this thing home?

Last edited by MeatRo; 05-15-2008 at 06:37 AM.
MeatRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
MeatRo
Stock

Well, I shot the guy an offer for $600. Hopefully he can do that, I also sourced the parts. I'm really strapped for cash right now, so the metal head gasket is out the window. I'll have to just throw in a good ol' AutoZone Beck Arnley head gasket and some ARP studs. Grand total of $185. I know it's not great to cheap out on things like this, but I just can't afford the machine work or downtime right now.

I hope I get it, really need a reliable ride right now and I'm actually having to sell parts from my project car (1991 Volvo 740SE) if I'm going to get this thing. Oh well, the only parts I'm selling is the conversion for a Mustang T5 transmission, which I'm really kicking myself in the ass (and glad at the same time) for paying near $2,000 for since I found out there's also a swap out there to throw the R154 into the Volvo.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

All I'm going to say is 185 isn't how much it's going to cost you.

That's about how many miles you'll get after you build it that way.

If you're strapped for cheese. The lifestyle that is supra.

Isn't the best move for you.

You're selling parts from your project car to buy another project car.

There will be NO reliability in the build you have already mentioned. You're wasting your time, effort and money.

Real MHG's cost about $350. Cheap piece o' shite hg and ARP studs????

You should get a better gasket. You should not skip the machining.

You need to spend time reading around here before you start trying to buy your own personal money pit.

I'm not harsh'n on you. I'm telling you the truth.

Welcome to the forum!
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
MeatRo
Stock

Ok, I have a hookup at Coast Motor Supplies here in Southern Cal, I can probably get the head machined for about $50. I'll do that... But is a metal head gasket really necessary? I couldn't just replace it with OEM gasket and studs and call it a day until I can actually afford to do the metal head gasket and machine work?

LoL, thanks for the honesty. I actually appreciate that more than bullshitting me into thinking it was a good idea. Just curious...
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

if youre looking for reliability youre looking at the wrong car in general. Old cars are shitty.Period. Unless you completely redo everything chances are the car is gonna end up being a piece of crap. More than often a bad head gasket lets coolant into the oil, the car is run like this, fix the bhg and bam rod knock. you just cannot expect to be able to half ass a head gasket job and have a pristine car on your hands. Any number of things could already be wrong with it, and you wont even know til after you fix the car, cause in the state its in you cant even test drive it. Basically if you are tight for money in any way this is a bad idea.
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

It's not that it's a bad idea dude.
It's something you have to decide.
The head being machined is a good start.

As for the hg..., well it really depends on what you want from the car and your personal driving style.

I wouldn't go with any thing less than a beaded HKS/MHG.

If you don't do something to the block..., it doesn't matter if you put a 30$
or a 300$ gasket on it.
A car like this that you don't plan to drop some serious coin on is just going to not even nickel and dime you.

It's going to 20$ bill you. From there it only gets worse before it gets better.

Until the inevitable happens. Which is.

You have 10k in a car that's worth 3k max bet.
You're still monkey'ing with keeping it running. It runs enough to keep you on the stringer then you end up stranded. Cause one of those 15+ year old hose clamps gives and you have smoke and death.

Nike express. Less you have a cell.

Then you get to start planning your build..., that if you don't do yourself it's going to cost you endlessly.

Then when you get it done finally. You have a new view for the car and are seeking an engine to swap into the chassis.

It's a viscious cycle . I say this jokingly, but that is basically my supra testimony, lol.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
MeatRo
Stock

Well it's only temporary. I have $1,000 in my pocket and need a car. This car is for sale for $600 and the guy says he will give it to me Sunday if I want it. I'm in the process of getting a new job and really strapped for cash at the moment, otherwise I have no problem dropping cash into a car to make it better.

I'm not looking to hot rod it, I'm looking to get back and forth to work.. Don't plan to boost the crap out of it or see how fast it will go. It's basically the best car available in the area that's in my price range, but needs a head gasket. Once I start getting paid from this job, in a couple weeks or so, I have no problem dropping the money for machine work and a metal head gasket.

However, I just need to get to work for the next couple weeks, not see if I can push 400HP from the stock setup. So basically my question is, if I get the head machined and put a stock head gasket and bolts in, would it last for let's say a month or two at the very most?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

in theory it should, presuming all other aspects of the engine work. There is still no garuntee though. The 7m block is cast iron so chances arent too high that the block deck is severely warped. Just make sure you clean the block of all gasket material very well or you could end up with leaks. Just do everything according to the TSRM

MK3 TSRM On-Line
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

You can't afford this car.

The guy wants 600$ for a car that needs $1,500 to $2,000 worth of work.
That makes the sale price if the car about $2,600.00

You're trying to buy a floater and you'll regret it.

It could take you a month to build.., depending on how fast your machinist is. And you don't have money for parts to make it run a few months without working on it all week to drive to work on the weekends.

Save your money. Keep looking for a car that is in a better position to begin with.

This car is nowhere near your price range.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

TurboSupera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist View Post
You can't afford this car.

The guy wants 600$ for a car that needs $1,500 to $2,000 worth of work.
That makes the sale price if the car about $2,600.00

You're trying to buy a floater and you'll regret it.

It could take you a month to build.., depending on how fast your machinist is. And you don't have money for parts to make it run a few months without working on it all week to drive to work on the weekends.

Save your money. Keep looking for a car that is in a better position to begin with.

This car is nowhere near your price range.

I would agree. I actually saw that ad and thought about picking it up just for parts as I already have a MKIII. I'm not rich but I have some cash to throw around. I'm like you OP. I just want it run right at this point, but it has cost me some money, just to get my MKIII to be reliable. Do I feel like it's reliable......not really. The car is running and I love it, but it's going to cost you money left and right. I had to replace the radiator because the fan/alternator belt snapped into shreads when I was on the freeway. Luckily I have another car, so I spent a couple of hours replacing the radiator and belts. Next step is to replace a blown muffler. All I'm saying is don't expect to buy that car and get even 1,000 miles out of before having to spend some money, even after you replace the head gasket. In any event, good luck.
TurboSupera is offline   Reply With Quote