Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Supra_Dummy
Stock

Supra_Dummy is on a distinguished road
Default need help...very new to the forum

Hello all,

I just bought 88 supra and need some help.
whenever I make a turn or get out from the start, I can hear water moving around. Couldn't figure out from where yet because I just picked up the car and it's already dark..
any idea where the water can be and how to drain it out....??? so that i do not need to spend much time to look around and get more time to play with my new car..
thanks a lot in advance...
Supra_Dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Are you speaking of a water fall or rain stick from the mall type of sound?

If that seems close too what you're hearing. It means you have air in your coolant system.

What I would do..., If it were me. So remember these are opinions and there is a reason they are free.

I would drain the coolant system completely. I would even jack the arse end up and get it drained well. Do this with the radiator drain plug open and flowing.

Cork it back up. Fill your overflow up to the right level or your your low coolant light or "birdcage light" will come on and not go off. The engine needs coolant in there to pull back into the system.

If you do this right and you still have issues with the waterfall sound.

Come back and tell us. This..., then. May lead to burping the system wich could a pre-curser to BHG.

Last edited by supramacist; 05-10-2008 at 03:51 AM.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
Supra_Dummy
Stock

yap..it's like water fall or water moving from one side to other...so you are suggesting to get a coolant flush?...i though some water trapped underneath and just need to drain out ....
how can that relate to BHG? I just drove back 3-4 hr without any overheat issue....as my username suggest, i am so dump to car mechanic....please bare with me...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

It may not relate to the hg. You may just have air in there.

But something I have learned quite quickley after my build is this.

All the behaviors you are speaking of were for my car, pre-cursers to a BHG.

If your engine is tight. The cooling system really doesn't need to be burped and if you hear a small water fall noise.

It works it self out on it's own. I no longer have to baby sit it or watch for bubbles or any of that burping noise.

It's good that you aren't having any over heating issues.

Are you having any fluid or oil leaks from the engine.

Start with a complete coolant system flush. Top it off fully.
Put the front end up on ramps while you do this.

This will help keep the air bubble at a higher point in the engine.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
fwsprague
Stock

fwsprague is on a distinguished road
Default Water sound

Maybe in the back under the spare?
fwsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
mc_p0pe
Stock

mc_p0pe is on a distinguished road

Yeah, if it isn't in the cooling system then it is probably back by the spare. I actually had that problem and it took forever to find the leak. In my case water was leaking in a poorly designed air vent behind the molding between the two side windows. then it would condense and soak my back seats and trunk. good luck
mc_p0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:39 AM   #7
Supra_Dummy
Stock

yesterday..I looked at the space where spare wheel is placed and there's no water there too...back seats are fine too...should i take out the spare wheel and look under it?..
i am still yet to do coolant flush...
Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
slader99
Stock

slader99 is on a distinguished road

You want to make sure you check the easy parts first... I don't reccomend jumping straight to draining the coolant... In fact, I don't have any idea what draining/flushing the coolant would accomplish if you do indeed have an airlock in your system.

Try what the others have suggested: underneath the spare tire as there is a slight recess below it (although if you already lifted the cover I would have thought you'd spot it) Another place that water tends to collect on these cars is in the lower rear quarter panels. There is two access doors on either side of the rear trunk area, Pop these plastic panels out and reach down to see if its wet. If it is, there is a rubber plug on either side...

If you have decided that that noise is comming from the front of the engine I would suggest squeezing your upper and lower rad hoses a couple times.... You can also try parking on a steep hill facing upwards for a short period of time.

As for a blown headgasket, are you going through oil or antifreeze? Is there a milky film under your rad cap, or a frothy white in your oil? When you pop the rad cap (while its cool of course) and have the car idling is there any trace of bubbles?
slader99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #9
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_Dummy View Post
Hello all,

I just bought 88 supra and need some help.
whenever I make a turn or get out from the start, I can hear water moving around. Couldn't figure out from where yet because I just picked up the car and it's already dark..
any idea where the water can be and how to drain it out....??? so that i do not need to spend much time to look around and get more time to play with my new car..
thanks a lot in advance...

Where does this post say anything about airlock?

Where does it really say anything that could lead to the spare tire area?

What am I missing? This dude made out like he was experiencing the regular air in system waterfall noise. If that's the case there's a reason to flush. That's so you don't spend the weekend burping the thing. And never quite gettting the bubble.

Obviously I have missed something. Because you guys are talking about something I have never had to do to my supra.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #10
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

NO NO,

My bad. Jeeez this thread turned I know what you guys are talking about now.