Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #31
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Dude...., you may have a problem.

The car you have is an 87.5
This means that early on in 87 they did something that they had to correct somehow. They changed tooling or some shite.

And at that juncture you got an 87 with 88 up grades. So stick to 87/88 parts. Here's the part where I explain how important it is for you to build a rapport with your toyota parts guys. They need to have your vin # on file and make sure to research that # when lookig for parts. This ensures you of 1 thing. You up your chances of getting the right part the 1st time.

Now I'ma break it down justa tell a little story.
I have a 91. so 90/91 and 92 parts work on my car. So that's anywhere from 3 to 6 part #'s for these bafoons to boobery through.

I have heard about this make and model. It's rare. It's got all the headaches of the 86.5 and then some.

I THINK
You may have a car that 86/ 86.5/87/87.5/ and 1988 parts work on. So you may have 5 to 10 part #'s For the hourly tarderies to drull through. Now I'm trying to make a point.

The point is: Parts guys don't like to work. You have to deal with the MGR. Not his to,go boy. ESPECIALLY WHEN ORDERING PARTS.

I have my guys cell #. I can text him. I have his personal e mail account.
He has me set up on shop rates What's that tell you??? I say to you that it means I hit them up for parts for this 1 car. As much as the small local mechanics that are big enough to be a real shop hits' them up for toyota parts. So ya 100 bucks a month. It's 100 bucks every time it breaks down. And lately it's been 175ing me to death. Which reminds me. Buy parts with warranties!!!!

But. None of this never would have transpired had I not built a rapport with them. See....., now I can eat their ass's a bit when my shit is wrong. They know what I expect and they know that once I come onto the seen the only way to make me leave is buy finding my trash. They also know that when they drop the ball and I leave them peacefully. I have done them a favor.

I'm just a guy with a supra off the street. Yet I can phone in an order for a few grand in parts and they'll order them in, no Q's asked.

You're either wagging the dog sir. Or the dog is wagging you.

Supra is a lifestyle. Gasoline, Coolant and oil are all about to become your DNA.

If you aren't dreaming about solving your cars riddles in your sleep. Then you're not where you need to be. But that's just me.

Here's where I tell you that all of these are just opinions and there is a reason they are free.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #32
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

GD.

That was nearly prophetic.
IT ended in song. I think I heard harmonizing angels of prophecy bellowing in desire of the shear fact of my rant.

I may need to ease the throttle back a bit.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #33
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Decaf, seriously.

There were numerous times when a model revision overlapped a previous model. With the '87's moving on to '88 the changes involved nothing more than cosmetics really. Now when the shift from '88 to '89 came around... then you got the rare wacko hybrid good luck finding a wiring diagram, much less finding the right replacement sensor, frankenstein crap.

Hell, my '88 uses an air flow meter from a modern Corvette!? WTF?

Okay, that's enough OT... I'm out.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #34
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

It's hard work striving for your standards Professor.
I'm giving her all she's got skipper.

If I give her any more she's a gonna blow.

Bom chicka wow wow.

We've just hit 68,000 microjules.
If we hit 69. She may blow a rod.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #35
spudz29212MKIII
3" Exhaust

spudz29212MKIII is on a distinguished road

Ha yea thats what i was thinking about the year issue also..

But hell no i dont let them buy any of my parts im real anal about that, because you never know what those idiots put in there. I def dont want some universal shit going on my engine!

So i def buy all my parts myself and bring em' to them, if I even bring them my car period. I buy nothing but (for right now, mods might change a few things) 87/88 OEM parts either from toyota or advance where i get a discount cuz im with one of thier store clubs.

so pretty much oem parts from advance and if its impossible to get i drag myself to toyota and give them another body piece for hard to find parts.

But just got home from work and exam, so im going to chill and let the engine cool a bit then go do my redneck steth listen and try to pin point sound
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #36
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Highly advise you to not buy any real trash from advanced for tis all they sell.

That's mistake #1 of most new supra owners. Cutting cost corners and attempting to fix things on the cheap.

Simply put..., it can't be done. Not as a long term fix.

Once you start this cycle. It never bloody ends.

I'm on my 3rd power steering pump from advanced.

Because they could get it in the fastest and was 1 of the 1st mistakes I made as well.

When the warranty's gone..., so shall I be.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #37
spudz29212MKIII
3" Exhaust

Oh word thanks for the heads up, but I have not bought anything big. So far just oil, some spark plugs, and a few water sensors thats about all i can remember...

BUT the conclusion is in...I take back what I said yesterday, I guess i just was not able to replicate the engine noise the best from in the engine bay.
I go my girlfriend to jump in the car and hold it at around 2200-2500 rpm.

noise was very noticable, so i grabbed the old broom stick and started poking around..and it is super loud on exhaust side valve cover and louder at the front and back of the cover. (FYI i did poke around everywhere top, middle, and under engine) and CRE i put up to exhaust mani to head and heard nothing but thanks for the tip.

So loudest on exhaust valve cover. IDK much about the whole vavle set up so i need to do some reading. But is this a pretty bad noise that needs to be fixed soon, or could i just hold off until i throw my rebuilt head on?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #38
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the valve cover and check to see if you've thrown a shim... it sounds like it's either that or possibly a burned up valve. I suppose it could even be a snapped spring. You'll know more once you pull the cover and look.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #39
spudz29212MKIII
3" Exhaust

Okay if I pull the cover..do i leave oil in since it will settle on the bottom...(never done this before with engine in car..)?

Im lazy and ive got some pretty new gaskets on there do i need to get some new ones or can i just slap on the old ones when i put it back together.

Last edited by spudz29212MKIII; 05-01-2008 at 12:13 AM.
spudz29212MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #40
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

You only have to remove the the y pipe from the upper plenum and if you're careful you can reuse that seal if it's semi new. That 1 maybe metal if you're lucky.

Yes. You leave the earl in it.

Do not remove the cams...., unless you absolutely have to and if you do use something like some white out to mark something so you can put it back in just so.

Shims are about as big around as a nickel. They can very in thickness.

And before you start asking for the future. You will not want to attempt a valve job. There's like 100 billion parts

Last edited by supramacist; 05-01-2008 at 12:26 AM.