Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
91na
Stock

91na is on a distinguished road
Default Knocking

Im curious if anyone knows what is causint the bottom ends to fail in the 3 liter supras? Everyone can give there opinions so dont be shy. Thanks for info
91na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Come on now man. You're nearly 10 posts in.
You should already be aware that we as a collective require more information on what's really going on or we're just going to have you grasping at straws till you find something.

But right off the bat. The bottom ends fail from coolant getting into those bearing usually caused by BHG. But that's just one of many things it could be. If that's even what you mean.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

supramacist... props for actually understanding the question... I'm still not entirely sure I do.

If you're asking for common causes of failure for the 7M it's usually moisture in the oil (typically due to coolant contamination from a blown head gasket as supramacist said) or oil starvation. Hard turns (doing doughnuts), hard stopping and/or high revving while low on oil can all starve the bottom end.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

So if your valve covers leak with consistency. You're losing oil from the bottom end and starving things right off.

I can see doughnuts hurting something but..., you'd have to be doing some shite you shouldn't be doing in the first place and you probably deserve it.

I'm willing to bet it's a shoddy bhg quick fix. Or like cre said. Oil starved.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
91na
Stock

91na is on a distinguished road

Sorry fellas I guess I didnt ask enough questions and fell right into the (IM A DUMB ASS CATEGORY). LOL I was thinking more along the lines of maybe something being just wrong with the motor in general. I shouldve ask better MY BAD!!! The car has been sitting since I got it. My friend owns a tow company and owed me money. He towed it away from carmax and and they gave him the title so he gave the car to me. I had keys made for it and took care of the tiltle work so now the car is mine. As soon as the keys were made I started it and found out that a rod was knocking. I put motor honey in it and made sure it had oil and drove it a little to make sure it didnt have a bunch of other things wrong and so far thats it, well and the head gasket. Oh yeah the right rear strut makes noise too.

by the way I wasnt trying to insult anyones intelligence here right now either so if you thought im sorry.
91na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

You're straight dude.

Sounds like rebuild time. You have rod knock.
You basically at this point have 3 choices.

Drive it till it dies.
Cut your losses.
Or go bankrupt rebuilding the thing.

Because now you're talking about internals and that's an entire ground up restore. Big Bucks.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A ground up restoration isn't a huge deal if:

A) the car is NOT your only mode of transportation
B) you LOVE surprises (it's amazing how much you can find that's wrong once you get in there)!
C) you want a reliable car
D) you've studied advanced meditation techniques for half a lifetime in Tibet and are as such only half as likely to quit the project and part out the car

OR

E) you have a VERY unnatural love for inanimate objects.

If you're hoping to make big power down the road you should consider a full rebuild anyway.

HOWEVER, a full rebuild isn't necessarily a requirement. You can inspect and replace the required bearings and have the crank polished and get another 100K out of the engine. I'd replace the oil pump while you're in there too.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

D. I find bob marley sometimes helps with a side of jimmy hendrix.
And pink floyd goes a long way as well.

E. This is me. Bulls eye.

It'll drain your wallet. Your bank account and your wifes bank account.
You're going to buy parts knowing she won't speak to you because you could have gone to cancun instead of buying car parts.

If this sounds like the road you wish to travel..., Then welcome my friend.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist View Post
It'll drain your wallet. Your bank account and your wifes bank account.
You're going to buy parts knowing she won't speak to you because you could have gone to cancun instead of buying car parts.

If this sounds like the road you wish to travel..., Then welcome my friend.
very well put supramacist. i have not done much and its already just about drained my account. but i cant give it up. its not just a car anymore. its my supra. haha.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
but i cant give it up. its not just a car anymore. its my supra. haha.
Oh shit.... look out man. You're starting to sound like me about 3 years and $8,000 - $10,000 later... and no, I don't want to know exactly how much I've put in this car.