Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

yeah its my first one. how do i go about getting them differed? the other guy that went down with me talked to some of his good cop friends and they all said that they wouldnt have given us reckless driving because they didnt see us. all they had was a random van that saw us pull away. and he stopped and talked to the cops. but they also said we could get them lowered to careless driving or even drop by changing the first court date to a different day. and keep the story straight. haha.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

This is an old post, but I just felt I had to reply to it... firstly, because Supra's are for the young at heart... (that accounts for the young people who make mistakes), secondly because some of you who read this may not understand... "the system".

First, let me say... its great that 16-19 year olds love the car, most even understand it, but in my experience... get a hyundai pony first. Beat that car up... you aint gonna go get a speeding ticket in it... lol. My first car was a '69 Chev Bel Air that I did amazing stunts with, ending up by totalling it off while doing off-road experimentation... (long story) Cost me 300.00 and was worth every penny!
Second... if you get a speeding ticket or stunting or w/e... fight it. Yeah, 80% of you wont win, but you will be amazed at what happens in court. Usually if your sincere in your description of what you are doing and explain that you have learned your lesson, the judge is sympathetic. (At least in Canada it works that way)
Plus.. the guy who ticketed you is now off the street, can't make his quota while waiting for your docket to come up, and sometimes doesn't even make it into court (here, that is instant win for you!).
Also, if your fines are big or your looking at a negative impact on your life, get a lawyer. Its not as expensive as you may think, and very very well worth it. (talk to O.J. about lawyers...) A good lawyer will talk down the fine, or even have them dismissed by explaining things better than you can. It's their job to make you seem angelic and get you off as much as possible. Plus.. they have kids to feed!!

I had a ticket for no insurance, no registration and no license once when I was raising my 2 girls as a single dad. I had no money and needed to get to work, and in my mind that was my only option (drive illegally). The fines were about 3500.00 in total plus 3 months in jail. (YIKES!) So, naturally I got a lawyer (best I could find) and borrowed the money to pay him. In the end, no prison sentence, 1020.00 in fines and the fines changed so that they wouldn't make it impossible for me to get insurance. Cost me 800.00 in lawyers fees. Worth it? Plus, I never had to show up in court once!

So.. just dont accept the fact you did something wrong. Yeah.. you probably did. But the fines aren't intended to ruin your life. They are there to prevent you from doing it. Learn the lesson, let them know you learned it.. and don't do it again.

Last edited by Grandavi; 08-30-2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: an "oh yeah" edit
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
suprakid91
3" Exhaust

suprakid91 is on a distinguished road

well as you may know i never did end up selling my car. i biiootched, argued and ignored what my mom told me about selling it. haha. then i blew a head gasket and im the process of repairing it. i still cant find a place that will machine the head though. its starting to make me mad.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprakid91 View Post
well as you may know i never did end up selling my car. i biiootched, argued and ignored what my mom told me about selling it. haha. then i blew a head gasket and im the process of repairing it. i still cant find a place that will machine the head though. its starting to make me mad.
You may have to ship it out to get it machined if you dont have anyone willing to locally. I could give you names, but they are quite a distance north of you over the border
Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
Micahwc
Intake

Micahwc is on a distinguished road

117 in a 55 mph near Tacoma WA. I was driving a 90 accord EX coupe.
Fastest ticket in my VR-4 was only 76 in a 60, most of the time I just got warnings because I had just returned from Iraq, the one ticket was from someone who was a reservist.

None so far in the supra, or my neon, or my celica. However, i had the celica to 140 once (down a very steep hill), and I did a couple 360 degree spins one night in the VR-4 at over 120 mph. I forgot there was one bend in a road that was straight for miles. Kept it on the road, by luck or divine intervention. Coming back onto Ft. Lewis that night, all you could smell was burnt tire and brake.
Micahwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #16
Micahwc
Intake

I had a friend who bought an evo 8 when he returned from Iraq. Evo's had been his dream car for years. He almost sold it within a month because he got two 500 doller reckless driving tickets within a week. He drifted through the same intersection twice, got pulled over by the same cop, and went before the same judge. The judge let him off for the first one. He wasn't so lucky a week later.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #17
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear it but doing something illegal is doing something illegal. I have a supra, i had an mr2, both flashy cars, but i stick to the law, i dont speed, i dont go out late at night and drive around with other people that race, ive never gotten a ticket. Its easy to stay out of trouble, you just gotta have self control
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
Grandavi
walbro fp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyFi6 View Post
sorry to hear it but doing something illegal is doing something illegal. I have a supra, i had an mr2, both flashy cars, but i stick to the law, i dont speed, i dont go out late at night and drive around with other people that race, ive never gotten a ticket. Its easy to stay out of trouble, you just gotta have self control
Agreed... bearing in mind... 55 mph is a bogus speed limit in my opinion. (for normal highways). Having said that, though, 30 years ago when I got my license (yikes... thats a long time ago!) there were not any where near the amount of people on the roads. At that time as well, cars were not anywhere near as safe either.

I think that it would be nice for every "area" (this is a pipe-dream btw) to have a test area for young drivers to drive. Allow for a quarter-mile race, a place to experiment with skids and slides (I watched Tokyo-drift... to do that on public roads is like walking downtown with an uzi... but that's my opinion) and try for a top end on your vehicle. I also think it would be great to have supervised playgrounds for kids. Both dont exist any longer other than perhaps race-tracks in your area that allow you to run. I am teaching my kids how to react to different events in vehicles by finding areas that are as safe as reasonably possible, because in my youth all the racing, rat racing (thats chasing each other through town and country roads) and experimentation I have done have saved both me and my family in several incidents that should have turned into major accidents.

However, I strongly believe that today, 99% of road rules will prevent you from being injured/killed or injuring/killing someone else and therefore should be obeyed. Its just nice to know how to avoid that accident when someone else (or nature) disobeys the rules.

Possibly the worst thing that a person can do is to believe they can do something because they saw it on TV or in a movie... lol
Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
mnewxv
3" Exhaust

mnewxv is on a distinguished road

thats a good idea grand, around here to keep the skaters out of trouble(vandalism etc) they build skateparks. There should be a track or 2 in each area for people to mess around on without putting others or themselves in danger. either way, I just turned 18 and am thinking of saving up for race car driver school, just so that I can be more in touch with a vehicle and know how to manuver it in emergency situations.
mnewxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #20
Micahwc
Intake

I have to agree that obeying the traffic laws, and not street racing are the best things to do. I haven't had a ticket of any kind in three years now, and I drive around the speed limit most of the time. I save my aggressive driving (and tires) for autocross tracks.

Or occasionally when I get to drive a humvee off road.