Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #11
ravenmaster
12psi boost

Location: Being not duly informed, I refuse to answer with any degree of accuracy for fear of prevaricating
ravenmaster is on a distinguished road

BTW I believe the redline for the R154 is higher than the W series tranny, I could be wrong though. Also our gross wieghtage for turbos is roughly 4400 Lbs., or 2000 Kilos. I know the redline in my R154 turbo is 7500 RPM. However for your needs your contridicting yourself. You want a lighter wieght tranny that has higher RPM then you are looking at the wrong two series trannies. Either your going to get higher RPM from the heavier tranny or lower redline from the lighter one. I would suggest getting a diffrent series than the R or W. Sry bro. Good luck with your project
Oh and btw if yoru doing what I think your doing the W58 wont do, your going to need a stronger tranny, plus you have other factors to consider here, flywheel, clutches, etc. its not just reliant on the tranny.
Tokico Illumina II's (TEMS) | Eibach Pro Springs | SpeedTech AntiSway Bars | Cusco Strut Tower Bars | Lexus AFM/550cc Injector Mod | SOGI short shift mod | Aluminum Driveshaft | Upgraded Fuel Pump | 12 PSI Boost | MHG | 11/30/08 Dyno 362RWHP 326ft/lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist View Post
Ya I'm the a$$hole. I think you're still mad raven cause I thought from your handle that you were a chick. I said I was sorry for that.
ravenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
GST95
Stock

GST95 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That being said. The r series tranny is what you want.
The redline is at 6k on the w series.
This is the only reply that even addressed shift points. It isnt very descriptive. Ive never heard anybody describe a redline when describing anything related to a tranny, but are you saying that the w series will only shift up to 6k rpm or are you saying that the vehicle that the tranny came out of has a redline of 6k?

Quote:
You should expect 7k rpms to be the max revs for safety on these trannies.
And 7k may be pushing it. But if you set it up right.
max revs for safety leads me to believe that you are trying to say if you try to go above 7k it will explode. I doubt this is the case, but maybe you can reword what you are trying to say so that it makes sense.

Also, nobody has mentioned anything about upgrades to raise shift points.

Its kinda like pulling teeth around here. My questions arent very complicated.

1.How high will these trannys shift?
2.Are there any upgrades to raise the answer to question #1?
Very simple questions.

Last edited by GST95; 03-14-2008 at 06:57 AM.
GST95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
GST95
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenmaster View Post
BTW I believe the redline for the R154 is higher than the W series tranny, I could be wrong though. Also our gross wieghtage for turbos is roughly 4400 Lbs., or 2000 Kilos. I know the redline in my R154 turbo is 7500 RPM. However for your needs your contridicting yourself. You want a lighter wieght tranny that has higher RPM then you are looking at the wrong two series trannies. Either your going to get higher RPM from the heavier tranny or lower redline from the lighter one. I would suggest getting a diffrent series than the R or W. Sry bro. Good luck with your project
Oh and btw if yoru doing what I think your doing the W58 wont do, your going to need a stronger tranny, plus you have other factors to consider here, flywheel, clutches, etc. its not just reliant on the tranny.

I dont see where you think I contradicted myself. Read my post again. How heavy a tranny is generally has to do with its strength, not its shift points. I was refering to weight of the vehicle, not the tranny. The purpose of the transmission is to transmit the power to the diff. If the vehicle weighs less, it puts less strain on the tranny to transfer the power, therefore you can run more power through any tranny if you cut alot of weight from what you are trying to move. Its the law of physics. It also isnt what my question was. I am only asking about how high can you shift these trannys? I think you guys are either confusing shift points and redlines (engines have redlines, but ive never seen a tach that is driven by the transmission. Trannys have shift points), or you are not understanding my question.

For your other factors I need to consider. Different bellhousing, fwd dsm flywheel rebushed for input shaft, toyota clutch disc, mitsu pressure plate. I wouldnt waste your time with questions about shift points on your trannys if I havent figured out if I can even use them.

I think im going to have to look elsewhere for answers. It seems nobody here has a high rpm engine here to even give any first hand info on what im asking. Thanks anyways.

Last edited by GST95; 03-14-2008 at 06:51 AM.
GST95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
ravenmaster
12psi boost

Location: Being not duly informed, I refuse to answer with any degree of accuracy for fear of prevaricating

Like i stated in the post that you ever soi cleverly, and I used that term lightly, shot down I said you are looking at the wrong two trannies. The R154 is rated to I believe 600 HP before it cannot handle it anymore, BTW your saying that noone here has exeperience with High HP/RPM engine is a very stupid and ignorant comment, I know for a fact that there are people on this forum that have built there supras up to 750+HP. There is another individual who is a member here who their vehicle will be showcased on Pinks on March 19th that wins. So before making an ignorant comment and trying to bag us for helping you, and answering your question several times, take your friggin head out of your @$$. I am considering this topic closed as we don't need to help you, especially when you can't seem to take the answers we have given with gratitude.
Later
Tokico Illumina II's (TEMS) | Eibach Pro Springs | SpeedTech AntiSway Bars | Cusco Strut Tower Bars | Lexus AFM/550cc Injector Mod | SOGI short shift mod | Aluminum Driveshaft | Upgraded Fuel Pump | 12 PSI Boost | MHG | 11/30/08 Dyno 362RWHP 326ft/lb

Quote:
Ya I'm the a$$hole. I think you're still mad raven cause I thought from your handle that you were a chick. I said I was sorry for that.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Ya I'm out on this one.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #16
GST95
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST95 View Post
It seems nobody here has a high rpm engine here to even give any first hand info on what im asking. Thanks anyways.
I never said anything about high hp.
It seems only you 2 guys want to post on this thread and neither of you have the first hand information to answer my high rpm shifting questions. Neither of you are even reading or comprehending what I write or ask anyways. For that reason you both have skirted my question, but not really answered it, or tried to answer in a non coherent way without clarifying.

I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT HOW MUCH HP ANY TOYOTA TRANSMISSION WILL HANDLE!!!!!!

Why do you keep going back to this information. It is totally unrelated to rpm shift points.

Thank you for wasting my time ravenmaster and supramacist. Continue to bench race and post misinformation from what others have done. I will find my answers from people elsewhere with actual first hand experience of the questions that I am asking and they will understand what I am referring to and be able to answer what I am asking.

I may not be able to use either of these trannys for what I am doing, but without useful information I cant make that decision yet. I have successfully done many things that I have been told repeatedly to be impossible by people that have never tried.

If you do not personally rev your engine to 8000rpm or better on a regular basis (regardless to whether you have 100hp or 10,000hp) and try to shift with either series transmission, you need not post your input.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #17
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Yes it is irrelevant, Because it's not the tranny that decides the shift point.
It's the gearing inside the tranny. You can buy that $hit and have it changed up to enhance your precious shift points.

You're beating up on yourself and other good people in the forum, because you don't don't know how to propperly state your $hit.

I'm surprised anyone is still talking to you sir.

The mitsafrankenbastardize forum awaits you. This stop occured because of a typo.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #18
ravenmaster
12psi boost

Hey supramacist I think we pisssed him of LOL. Mitsubishiputz. HA!

Quote:
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #19
GST95
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist
Yes it is irrelevant, Because it's not the tranny that decides the shift point.
It's the gearing inside the tranny.
Not true. Gearing does not determine how well the tranny shifts. It determines the rpm change of the shift. It is the syncro setup that matches the speed of the 2 shafts (usually input and intermediate) the selected gear set is on. Once the speed is matched for the selected gear set the hub and slider splines together and locks the gear set to the 2 shafts (also referred to as "in gear"). How well and fast they do this determines how well it shifts, which is what I have been talking about from the beginning. If the syncros cant match the speed difference of the shafts, the hub and slider will just grind and not spline together (the gears themselves are always meshed together free spinning on the shafts) The person that can answer my questions would not need to be explained on how a manual transmission works.

By the way, your statement would be like saying "Its not the car thats fast, its the engine inside of it." Even though the car would not be fast without its engine, the "car" refers to the total package. When you say tranny you refer to its total assembly. You can then segment it into its individual parts(gear sets, shafts, bearings, syncros, hubs, sliders, springs, etc). Just like a car refers to its total Assembly and then can be segmented down to its components (wheels, tires, brakes, engine, tranny, diff, seat, body, etc). Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist
You can buy that $hit and have it changed up to enhance your precious shift points.
Again, another question that I asked long ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST95
is there anybody that makes upgraded syncros or anything to help them?
Since I do my own tranny builds, and dont "have it changed up" I would need to know who makes upgraded syncro setups, or what combination of stock parts works the best and the result of these upgrades.

You guys are getting mad at me for not stating my questions properly, but you dont even read what I am writing. If you dont understand my question, I can reword it many different ways. Just ask me.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #20
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road

New SP Toyota Transmission Upgrades - Supraforums.com

Dont know anything about which you speak but this guy does upgrade on the transmissions your talking about perhaps he can help or has what you are looking for
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote