Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra > MKIII FAQ

Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #21
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medrivfast
Hello, Tomorrow i'm going to look at an 89 Supra Turbo. I talked to a lady on the phone today about the car. She wasn't to informative about it since it was her uncles. But, she said it has 100,000 miles, New Altinator, New Water Pump, Targa & it's a 5 Speed. I have read through these forums breifly and the only problem i can find about the cars is the head gasket issue.
Other than looking at the basic things on the car like oil and water and belts. What major thing should i look for on this particular car?

They are asking $1700 for it.

I appreciate any help you can supply me....
Best thing i can tell you is take a certified mechanic with you or someone who's been turning wrenches for a while. Not someone who's tinkered around on a couple of cars before.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #22
bowy
Stock

bowy is on a distinguished road
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medrivfast
Hello, Tomorrow i'm going to look at an 89 Supra Turbo. I talked to a lady on the phone today about the car. She wasn't to informative about it since it was her uncles. But, she said it has 100,000 miles, New Altinator, New Water Pump, Targa & it's a 5 Speed. I have read through these forums breifly and the only problem i can find about the cars is the head gasket issue.
Other than looking at the basic things on the car like oil and water and belts. What major thing should i look for on this particular car?

They are asking $1700 for it.

I appreciate any help you can supply me....

check for rust under nethier like driver side and pass 100 miles huh

my dads 90 turbo supra with 112k on it frame needed pulled in front he got 3500 k so u might beable to re sell it if ur not happy but if u like a car that can take a beating or something with alil get up and go supras way to go but if u wanna take it easy and keep it around 3 grand rpms cars great on gas just keep out of the turbo lol but aleast if u put u no the powers there when u need it =P its a really fun car to drive i love it and all the ladys around me love the supra i drive =D
bowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #23
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowy
check for rust under nethier like driver side and pass 100 miles huh

my dads 90 turbo supra with 112k on it frame needed pulled in front he got 3500 k so u might beable to re sell it if ur not happy but if u like a car that can take a beating or something with alil get up and go supras way to go but if u wanna take it easy and keep it around 3 grand rpms cars great on gas just keep out of the turbo lol but aleast if u put u no the powers there when u need it =P its a really fun car to drive i love it and all the ladys around me love the supra i drive =D
I couldn't understand a word of this because your grammar and spelling is horrible. What exactally are you trying to say, here?
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:08 AM   #24
Lypher
Stock

Lypher is on a distinguished road

I'm going to see a 88 turbo 5 speed in a couple days and its running for $1500. Should i be suspicious of why the price is so low?
Lypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #25
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

No reason to be suspicious. Just know going into it that at that price range you will be dropping another 2k into rather quickley and you should be safe.

You guys thinking about buying these cars should dig alot deeper than you have been if all you can find is the bhg issue. That just comes stock. There's an entire plethra of bs that comes along with a new to you supra.

The older it is the rustier bolts are and they snap on my 91 with hardly any pressure applied, just for example.

Dig deeper much much deeper, dismiss nothing.

I have right at 10k into my 91 7mge 5 speed and the bill is only growing.
I don't have to pay for anything at my dealership when I order parts because they know I am re-building.

It's kinda that bad.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
tsupra89
3" Exhaust

tsupra89 is on a distinguished road

ok my first advice is check the body frame and lines check for rust and damage. and then check for any pieces that can be fixed easily that might have some issues and you might be able to get a price decrease. second i hate to say it but pour water on the targa top ive seen alot of targas leak and that can cause the ruining of the interior plus much more. and targas are not that strong when the t is out of the car the car flexes like hell and then when its in there its pretty strong but still alittle flex.
tsupra89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #27
cme_drft
Stock

cme_drft is on a distinguished road

I always like the "oh yeah it will go 150mph+", "but i never raced it." haa. My 87 N/A has been sitting for almost 2 years now. Thanks to the army sending me to germany and now iraq. I drove the PISS out of that thing for 3 years, without ANY problems. Just regular maint. I got mine for $2500 with 44k org. miles. It now has around 95k. runs perfect. I hope you decide to buy that supra, or a supra. I love it.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
I couldn't understand a word of this because your grammar and spelling is horrible. What exactally are you trying to say, here?
lol... sadly.. I dont think they teach grammar and spelling in school anymore. Why is everyone so worried about BHG's? If you got one, is it that labor intensive to fix? (or expensive?) I personally didnt worry too much about it cause if I have one on my car.. then it will get fixed properly. (I saw the "fix" in forums and I would rather have it done that way anyway)
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #29
makemedie
Stock

makemedie is on a distinguished road

Someone posted earlier about how Supras are prone to have leaks in -

A) The targa
B) Under the rear hatch

I've got a 1990 Supra, and I've got both those problems. The rear hatch one seems quite bad, while the targa one is barely there, and only sort of dribbles a tiny amount of water in when its raining cats and dogs for an entire night or something.

Anyone have any links to guides on what I can do to fix these?
makemedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #30
mk3supra909
Stock

mk3supra909 is on a distinguished road

either get it and swap the engine thats what im doing just blowing my engine till i get it done lol i have an 88 targa top leaks do happen mostly trunk sometime with the driver window but only wen washing buy the rear area not hrorrible either though if turbo engine is slower than auto scion its not right i smash on scions all day n/a and i have metal shavings in my oil pan cud be nothing but like i said im swaping so fuck it blow emmm up lol trunk will have rust if it leaks though youll know just look well also your gonna wanna make sure you get the top tool if not it will be a slight bitch to get its a t40 star key i belive mayb will help a lil i didnt get mine wish i did but fuck it also it does squeak after a while unless you keep the top very tight or a lil belt dressing mayb wich i feel is a lil better dont want the top flying off right also i almost forgot be sure you driver seat electrical works if you care i dont but kinda did had it for a week ploped down in my seat one day high as shit and crack snapped the gear for lifting the seat if that is good them no fat men drove the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medrivfast View Post
Well i looked and drove it today. It had 133,000 miles on it. The CEL was on. I smelled something comming from the engine when i was at the stop light right after i got off the freeway. It kinda smelled like the engine was going to start over-heating. But the temp guage never moved. That scared me though. The car hasn't been registered for over a year and it still needed to be smogged.

I know 133k miles isn't much for this year of car. But it is much for a stock turbo. I don't beleive the turbo was working at all. Because this car was really and i mean really slow. I read that this car should do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. But i figured it was old and that # should be in the mid 7's. Lets just say my Scion XB (auto) seemed faster than this Supra.

I'm not going to judge all supras like this one. If i do find a Supra than you guys will be the second to now. (Wife is first LOL)

I thank you all for your help.
mk3supra909 is offline   Reply With Quote