Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra > MKIII FAQ

Old 06-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #11
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

joshtexican is on a distinguished road

Another thing, I put the head on. I tried to see if the nut and the socket I am using will fit the tunnel/hole where the studs are.

Do I have to have the cams off the head to do this job? I am new to this and am having a bit of trouble getting the nut to turn with the socket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Put head(w/o cams) in line with studs??
Torque the head down(w/o cams)??
Then put cams back on??
joshtexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I installed mine with a regular socket with a wobble end extension... If you don't already have a GOOD one go buy a Craftsman socket just for this one job... having to dig out the dust from a cheap socket which exploded while torquing down using a cotton swab sucks.

EDIT: I didn't have to pull my cams, just rotate them a few times to get things out of the way.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #13
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

Thanks cre,

Wow I took the cams off already man. I guess I have to look for instructions on putting them back on.

And yea my socket doesnt fit, so Iam going for one tomorrow in the am. Is it ok to leave the studs like that until tomorrow seeing they have the lube on them?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The studs will be fine..

I hope you pulled the cam's caps in the right order... :s
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #15
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

dude what's the order!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

RTFM man....

In case you've missed it: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/ The ONLY reference manual to be trusted when it comes to these cars.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

Hey sorry and call me slow but I cannot find the order in the manual man.

Could you point me in the right direction?

And I am pretty sure I did'nt take them off in the right order, so that being said what happends now? Are the cams messed up or whats the consequences to pulling them off in the wrong order?

Sorry I found it. Now what I need to know is what is wrong with my cams now? I am assuming that the order to put back on is the opposite of taking them off?

Last edited by joshtexican; 06-05-2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Found it
Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtexican View Post
Another thing, I put the head on. I tried to see if the nut and the socket I am using will fit the tunnel/hole where the studs are.

Do I have to have the cams off the head to do this job? I am new to this and am having a bit of trouble getting the nut to turn with the socket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Put head(w/o cams) in line with studs??
Torque the head down(w/o cams)??
Then put cams back on??
See post 9 Link
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
joshtexican
3" Exhaust

Thanks bill uk

So do you know if my cams are any good?? Seeing that I took them off in the wrong order.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
See post 9 Link

Wow Bill, love your posts.... Wanna take over the FAQ section?

Tip Jar --->