Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

EthanMKIII is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuild time

Well after finding out my bearings are done and that a 1jz swap wouldnt be worth it ive desided to rebuild my 7M-GTE the engine has 171,000KM on it. What will i need for the rebuild it would be really helpful if theres links included. Is there any kits on the web for rebuilding 7M-GTEs
EthanMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Fortunately you have more Supra parts suppliers in the US than the UK. This Guy is well known on the UK forum for his knowledge and quality parts. Richard of Sip Racing: Location Kent, Ohio, United States. Link and Link
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Some excellent info Here and Here
Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

Thanks bill just a question while i'm rebuilding the engine is there anything that I should upgrade so i could handle around 13psi or 350hp?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Sorry unable to help you there, my own experience is simply maintaining the Supra in stock running order. Ok I've done 3 head gaskets repairs and a big end replacement over the years on several Supra`s, I do know most Supra`s are over 20 years old and it really depend on the condition of the engine vital components and other factors before increasing the BHP. At a guess you will defiantly need forged pistons (not cast) and a metal head gasket with ARP studs. As I said I'm no expert put I think the stock pistons are forged, not sure what BHP they can handle.

Last edited by Bill UK; 10-25-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
EthanMKIII
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
Sorry unable to help you there, my own experience is simply maintaining the Supra in stock running order. Ok I've done 3 head gaskets repairs and a big end replacement over the years on several Supra`s, I do know most Supra`s are over 20 years old and it really depend on the condition of the engine vital components and other factors before increasing the BHP. At a guess you will defiantly need forged pistons (not cast) and a metal head gasket with ARP studs. As I said I'm no expert put I think the stock pistons are forged, not sure what BHP they can handle.
Why have u done the head gasket repair so much i though at soon as a MHG was installed and Torqued down with ARP studs the problem was fixed and wouldn't happen again. I'm pretty sure the pistons on a stock 7M-GTE are forged.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Bill UK
AEM EMS

I've owned MK III Supra`s for 22 years, plus a MkII for 3 years before that. I've never re-done a HG on the same Supra, The first MK III I had from new I covered 250,000 miles, I'm on my fourth Supra now. The last HG I used a stock Toyota gasket with ARP studs, so far so good.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Bill UK
AEM EMS

I posted this on the UK forum last month, may be of some interest if you are using ARP studs, Halfords by the way are an UK Auto Parts Supplier.

Last month I did a HG replacement using ARP studs for the first time, on two other previous occasions I've used Toyota stock bolts. I made a couple of drawings that may be of some use for future reference. The first thing you will notice are the studs are much longer than the stock bolts, the existing Toyota stock bolts only screw in the block by 0.608 thou, where as the ARP studs will need to screw in by .808 thou minimum to ensure there's enough thread at the top of the stud for the nut to screw down on to. After lapping the block I carefully cleaned the holes out with a tap just to make sure the stud would screw in by about an inch. As ARP are an US company I expected the socket size to be in inches, 9/16 will fit but 14 mm is a much better fit (smaller by .010 thou.) As mentioned in previous postings the Halfords 14mm, 12 point, long reach socket 2.500 long with a 3/8 drive will fit nicely, that’s of course you don’t have a head like mine. A couple of places on the inlet side the socket wouldn’t go down to the bottom vertically, so I removed the cams to get a better view. The problem was the ally casting didn’t allow for the diameter of the socket (the socket being 0.778dia) So I ground down the diameter of the socket with the bench grinder to 0.764 dia to ensure a good vertical fit, as posted by Bondago. I have also read on Supramania forum about the need to reduce the base of the nut Link fortunately mine where ok.
Hope this helps.

Notes:
1. The outside diameter of the Halfords 14mm long reach socket with a 1/2 drive is too large

2. Snap On long reach 3/8 drive Stock#: BLPLM3814 19.6 mm (
0.771 inch) outer diameter, which is slightly smaller diameter than the Halfords one, probably would have fitted without grinding down.

3. It's possible that ARP nuts where once 9/16 so if your removing a head that has ARP studs fitted from some years ago, they could be imperial nuts 9/16.

4. ARP Stud & Bolt info

Last edited by Bill UK; 06-06-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
dfarah
Stock

dfarah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
I posted this on the UK forum last month, may be of some interest if you are using ARP studs, Halfords by the way are an UK Auto Parts Supplier.

Last month I did a HG replacement using ARP studs for the first time, on two other previous occasions I've used Toyota stock bolts. I made a couple of drawings that may be of some use for future reference. The first thing you will notice are the studs are much longer than the stock bolts, the existing Toyota stock bolts only screw in the block by 0.608 thou, where as the ARP studs will need to screw in by .808 thou minimum to ensure there's enough thread at the top of the stud for the nut to screw down on to. After lapping the block I carefully cleaned the holes out with a tap just to make sure the stud would screw in by about an inch. As ARP are an US company I expected the socket size to be in inches, 9/16 will fit but 14 mm is a much better fit (smaller by .010 thou.) As mentioned in previous postings the Halfords 14mm, 12 point, long reach socket 2.500 long with a 3/8 drive will fit nicely, that’s of course you don’t have a head like mine. A couple of places on the inlet side the socket wouldn’t go down to the bottom vertically, so I removed the cams to get a better view. The problem was the ally casting didn’t allow for the diameter of the socket (the socket being 0.778dia) So I ground down the diameter of the socket with the bench grinder to 0.764 dia to ensure a good vertical fit, as posted by Bondago. I have also read on Supramania forum about the need to reduce the base of the nut Link fortunately mine where ok.
Hope this helps.

Notes:
1. The outside diameter of the Halfords 14mm long reach socket with a ? drive is too large

2. Snap On long reach 3/8 drive Stock#: BLPLM3814 19.6 mm (
0.771 inch) outer diameter, which is slightly smaller diameter than the Halfords one, probably would have fitted without grinding down.

3. It's possible that ARP nuts where once 9/16 so if your removing a head that has ARP studs fitted from some years ago, they could be imperial nuts 9/16.

4. ARP Stud & Bolt info

Nice diagrams & explanation dude. I don't know that ARP nuts where once 9/16. Anyways, thanks for giving these useful infos to us.
dfarah is offline   Reply With Quote