Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 03-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
tonster
Stock

tonster is on a distinguished road

i got a 1982 supra almost 2 yrs ago with a rebuilt engine that had been sitting for a while and for the most part ive gotten everything to work again (even the retractable headlights which would have been easier had i known about the lil module behind the instrument panel not in the chiltons book, but was in the toyota wiring book that i got from the prev own AFTER i fixed it, ha). anyway, there are a few problems i havent been able to figure out. one is that it idles high at about 1200 rpms and chiltons says i need a special service tool (09842-14010). do i really need this or can i get around it? also i cant seem to get the timing right, the closest i can get is 13 BDTC because it swings wildly as i turn the distributor and i cant fine tune it, but maybe that is because of the idle? the temp gauge also reads high. the biggest problem i have is that the car stalls sometimes and i think its some sort of fuel delivery problem because the only way for me to start it is to put more gas in the tank and spray starter fluid in the intake. now the tank is never near empty. usually the car acts a little rough at first and then the gas pedal stops responding and i have to pull over. it will idle for a bit and then die and won't restart unless i do the gas and starter fluid. if i try to pump the gas while its idling, the engine starts to fail until i let up and then it idles again. now the fuel pump, sock, and filter are all new and had a fuel injector cleaner service done. i checked for and didnt find any holes in the pick up line. it happens around a half a tank, but it used to happen around a quarter, but ive had the car running and siphoned the gas out to only a gallon or two and the car never stalled, but then i drove it a few miles and it did. i disconnected the fuel line after the pump assembly and silencer and shorted the check connector to see the flow and the gas came out intermitent, but i cant figure out why? what does the silencer do anyway? i changed the adjustment on it and that caused the change in the trouble position from the quarter tank to half tank mark. the cruise control and ac dont work either if anyone has any suggestions how to fix them, but i can live without those. another thing ive noticed is that the car doesnt have much pickup until 2000 rpms or so. any help would be greatly appreciated cause im trying to keep this car running til i finish with college.
tonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

well....when to go on first gear...if the idle below 2000 rpm then its kind of slow...like it didnt burn the gass enough or it soudns like back-fire right....and then after you go over 2000 rpm then its running smooth right...is that right...well if thats how it is than....it just that you need to adjust your air follow meter from the throttle body and the air flow metter (next to the air filters )...cause....it didnt flow right... try that first and see if it work....before i can tell you something else alright.... :P
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
tonster
Stock

the idle is around 1200 when the book says it should be like half that, but it doesnt sound like a back fire or anything. its just that the car doesnt have a lot of acceleration until 2500 rpms or so. i had checked the afm near the air filter a while ago and it was fine according to chiltons. i dont know of one near the intake on the EFI? any suggestions about the gas problem? i can live with the car running a little sluggish, but my cars died on me a few times in the mountains because fo that which is no fun.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
monkihead
SP58GT

monkihead is on a distinguished road

since you've already checked afm, check for vaccum leaks. toyotas of the 80's are notorious for power loss when vaccum lines are incorrect or busted. as for the fuel, did you check the tank for any debris?? as a bad prank my friend (not me!) would shove small balloons into the gas tank so when the fuel would reach around half way mark, the balloons would surround and choke the fuel pump. creating pressure loss, stalling the car. what engine model is it? 5me or 5mge??

monique- better off dead

monkihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
tonster
Stock

it's the 5mge. ill try to check all the vacuum lines, there are so many! there was a lot of debris in the tank when i first got the car and i think i got it all out, but i didnt have it boiled out cause i dont want to invest much more money into it since i dont plan on keeping it for more than another year or two. the fuel pump on this one is outside of the tank and has a new filter sock on the pick up line which looked fine the last time i took out the tank and tried a few things. maybe its a lost cause lol i can avoid it if i just fill up more often.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
monkihead
SP58GT

at least you cant say that you'll ever run out of gas....

monique- better off dead

Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
tonster
Stock

HA! well i actually got a lil over 140 miles on the way back without any troubles, didnt want to push my luck any further even though before i would get over 200. i took out the idle adjustment bolt and there was a lot of build up on it so i cleaned it off and now the adjustment actually does something and i can get it to idle really fast if i want lol but still not lower than 1200 rpms. its a quirky lil car.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
monkihead
SP58GT

have you tried adjusting the throttle cable to lower the idle?

monique- better off dead

Old 04-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
tonster
Stock

tried adjust the throttle cable this weekend, didnt do anything. so i tried the two stop adjustments and made a lil difference, but even at the max adjustment it still idles around 1000 rpms.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

the the engine sound particularly whooshy... like sucking alot of air in?

i would say you could have an intake manifold leak... try getting some engine start/ether/starter fluid (can't remember what you call it there) and spray that all around your intake manifold and vacuum lines
if your idle picks up in a certain place you spray you have found your leak... fix that then try the process again

you ign timing being advanced will also up your idle... i would suggest putting it back to 10deg and see how your idle is... just try moving your dizzy ever so slowly and see how you go

let us know how you get on

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote