Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 02-20-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
G-string
3" Exhaust

G-string is on a distinguished road

I just got my supra on wednes day after taking ti to a shop and getting it checked tghere are a few things here and there. But today when i was at work (I'm a deliverie guy) i got to work after a delivie and i noticed a big drop in the batterie charge as i turned it off and i tryed to turn it on and it tryed then gave up and then i went and got my parents van and used that for the rest. Then as i was leaving i just wanted to test it and it started right up.
Does any one know what may have happened ? I realy need help and its sunday tomorrow so it will be hard to get in to a shop or anything even if i coudl id ont know what to ask them to look at. i was thinking thalternator buuuut it did start right back up sooo i dont know. So if any one has had this problem or has some advice please tell me

Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

what do your battery terminals look like? good condition, no white crusty stuff on them? check all the cables going from your battery to grounds etc and make sure they're all tight.

when you tried to start it, what did it do, crank and no fire or just click click click... did it sound like ur battery going flat?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
G-string
3" Exhaust

Umm the guy iu bought it from bought me a new battery because the old one was dead but the new one is smaller, I dont know if that woudl matter. And i dont know much about cars and shiot and id idnt know that there were diffrent size pegs on it so i tryed adjusting and stuff but i figured it out.,but moved it around and stuff and tryed to make a better conection.

For the starting thing, all ove the above it clicked, it cranked and didnt fire then it just went to nothing
Old 02-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

i would say that u have bad connections on your battery... and get the correct battery for your car or different terminals so they connect properly

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
G-string
3" Exhaust

Thanks alot il try that tomrrow with setting the conectors better, after all it is 1 am here lol thanks alot
Old 02-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

lol good to know ur dedicated to ur mk2

let us know how you get on

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
G-string
3" Exhaust

I made a bettwe conection to the battery and it worked but only for a couple hours of running so i took it to the toyota service place and they ended up telliong me it was the alternater. I already figured that but its good to just make sure kinda thing but there was also soemthing about the volt regulator but they didnt say anything was wrong so yea, Now im getting the Alternator rebuilt or jus repaired at a shop.

If any one els has this problem they told me it had to do with the alternater brushes when they get hot they stiffen out and dont have a good contact anymore but then when they cool down it can work so hopefuly this will fix it.

Thanks for your help Suprra_girl
Old 03-19-2005, 05:47 AM   #8
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

hope you get to work now..... n have a good one...
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:22 AM   #9
eleazar515
Stock

eleazar515 is on a distinguished road

I had a somewhat similar prob. I was out driving along the California coast in my 85 and it just died on me -at night - in the rain - over an hour & a half from home and 20 minutes from any civilization, oh yeah and no cell signal!! Voltage slowly dropped till the car just gave out. Thought it was the alt but got it checked out and it was fine. I cleaned-up some stuff a bit and check connections. So far no re-occurance, it's been a couple months.

If you have a local auto parts shop they might can test your alt for you before you shell out for a new one. Napa did it free for me. I woulndn't neccesarily trust the shop guys who sometimes just give the easy answer.

I just noticed your post's a month old so I'm guessing you got it figured out by now, but hey, maybe it's useful for someone else. B)
eleazar515 is offline   Reply With Quote