Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 AM   #1
eternal genome
Stock

eternal genome is on a distinguished road
Angry Engine swap 5mge for 7mge

so me 86 supra is nice and all but i want a 7mge engine for it. Well, when the 86 was released, there were 2 models one with a 7 and one with a 5. If the frame is still the same except the engine in the 7 model, wouldnt it make sense that i could just put a 7 in a car that has a 5? also, does anyone know, im a noob by the way, what it means when my volt light turns on. I like my car so i drive fast and when i accelerate fast, my volt meter runs toward 18 and a red light comes on. BUT, when i drive at night and my lights are on and i press the clutch and brake, my volt meter geos down to about 10-11, and my car dips below 500 rpms then comes back up.

another question: my battery shifts in its little tray and when i take a turn it will slide and sometimes when it does my car shuts off. Then i get out, pop my hood and pull the battery back over to the left side and it comes on. what do i do?

Last question: I smell exhaust vapors in my car when i drive, and i smoke and i dont want to die. SO, do you think its a leak in the exhaust, muffler, gas tank, or what?

I need help!
eternal genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
midwestmk2
3" Exhaust

midwestmk2 is on a distinguished road

Since the car is a factory 5MGE to put in a 7M you will have to swap the entire harness and ECU..If your going to do all that headache just do a 7MGTE instead..Sounds like your alternator has a bad regulator..Go to a salvage yard and get your self a alt and a battery hold down bracket off a N/A MKIII and your charging problems will be gone and your lights will not dimm ever agian,not even at idle at night with the a/c and headlights on..When you battery moves it is grounding out on the radiator(BAD!)..The strap from the MKIII will fix that..Now are you saying that its exhaust gas's or gas fumes??If it exhaust fumes its probably a leak but you would here it..Any exhaust leak on these car and you will know it they tend to be a bit loud..If its a gas fume then you might check your charcoal canister(big black cylinder next to the exhaust manifold)and make sure all of the lines are hooked up..If not or its not there then go and get yourself a venting gas cap and it should solve that..
83 p-type,5spd,4;10 gears,New 86 cressida 5MGE 195hp,HKS metal head gasket,Cressida injectors,d-port intake runners,No EGR,No cat,Tweaked MAF,Custom cold air intake,Custom rear strut bar,Perfection clutch,Custom 3inch exhaust,4inch bazooka muffler,,Only 2700lbs,, COME AND GET IT!IF YOU DARE!! Please no Honduuuuhhhs!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858848/2
midwestmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal genome
so me 86 supra is nice and all but i want a 7mge engine for it. Well, when the 86 was released, there were 2 models one with a 7 and one with a 5. If the frame is still the same except the engine in the 7 model, wouldnt it make sense that i could just put a 7 in a car that has a 5? also, does anyone know, im a noob by the way, what it means when my volt light turns on. I like my car so i drive fast and when i accelerate fast, my volt meter runs toward 18 and a red light comes on. BUT, when i drive at night and my lights are on and i press the clutch and brake, my volt meter geos down to about 10-11, and my car dips below 500 rpms then comes back up.
well... yeah.. like midwest said.. you want to put on a 7m to the 5m then why dont you go with the 7mgte.... it takes the same amount of time to work on the 7m on the 5m body tho...
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
hangsupra
12psi boost

Quote:
another question: my battery shifts in its little tray and when i take a turn it will slide and sometimes when it does my car shuts off. Then i get out, pop my hood and pull the battery back over to the left side and it comes on. what do i do?
well... if you battery keep slide like that then first try to tight up your battery first... and see if that solve the problem... cause sometime the positive term. can attach to the body frame... cause the body frame is negative... and when the battery slide to the left side and the positive term. can attach to the radiator... and your car can have a shock... and thats why your light is dimn or the car is die.... so try to tight up the battery first.... hope this works for you...

another suggestion... when you step on your brake and your light is dimn or low on elect. then sometime it can be your alternative to.. cause its poor and it didnt have a good charge/run... so thats why you kind of low on elect... so try to test your alternative by brought it to a nearest shop close to you for a test.... cause its free for testing... so why dont you do so...
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
hangsupra
12psi boost

Quote:
Last question: I smell exhaust vapors in my car when i drive, and i smoke and i dont want to die. SO, do you think its a leak in the exhaust, muffler, gas tank, or what?
some if you low on oil and when you step on the gas then it gave you smoke and you can also smell oil tho... so check on your oil's also.

if your exhaust is leaking then you can feels by step on the gas pedal while you drive.... when you step on gas pedal... if your car make lots of noise and you didnt gain any accelaretion or if you didnt see your car speed up quick and you hear your motor makes lots of loud noise then you have a exhaust leak somewhere under the down pipe or muffler tho....

another suggestion is that.... sometime when your cat. converter is not good and those thing inside the converter is torn apart by pieces by pieces then it does give you that problem too... so another thing you can do is try to untight your exhaust and take a look inside the converter see if those those i dont know what they call but if you see inside the converter and you didnt see anything and all you see is a light on the other end then it means that its bad need to replace that and it solve the problem... sorry if i didnt makes anysense alright... cause i just got back on this forum... so i kind of slow this day... but please correct me if i wrong and didnt make sense alright. thanx.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
eternal genome
Stock

eternal genome is on a distinguished road
Default Wow

thanks guys. i really didnt expect replys until maybe 4 days later but, im suprised the next day there was an answer, from 2 people no less. i plan to get a new catback system and a new alternator, maybe a 80, but i really apperciate the help. Ill probably be posting again so though because i love cars, espically my car, but im car retarted :[. anyway thanks again!

O, almost forgot. when i accelerate quickly, a red light comes on next to my volt meter. why does it do that, what can i do to fix it, and thanks in advance

Last edited by eternal genome; 02-28-2006 at 01:03 AM.
eternal genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
hangsupra
12psi boost

first... is the light turns on on the brake.... light... on your cluster.. if so then double check on your brake fluid... or is it the lights come the voltage.... if it came out on the voltage or the battery then i pretty sure that your alternative if bad or poor... this is another thing that happen on my car tho.. the positive wired that connect on my alternater.. that by itself on the alternater.... its broke inside the wraper... it got strap or cut inside so there loosing the juice when i accelarated or when i roll on a bump road... so try to check on that one wired by itseft ontop of the alternater tho... hope this help....
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
panda-supra
Stock

panda-supra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmk2
Now are you saying that its exhaust gas's or gas fumes??If it exhaust fumes its probably a leak but you would here it..Any exhaust leak on these car and you will know it they tend to be a bit loud..If its a gas fume then you might check your charcoal canister(big black cylinder next to the exhaust manifold)and make sure all of the lines are hooked up..If not or its not there then go and get yourself a venting gas cap and it should solve that..

Now I thinK I have the same problem in my own MKII, but it only happens sometimes. Sometimes I think I'm smelling some vinegary-gas-like smell in my own car and it's only there sometimes, and I'm not sure what sets the smell off. But is that gas fumes by chance? It does get worse when I put the air/heater on. Not dangerous is it?
panda-supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #9
hangsupra
12psi boost

oh i forgot to mention this too... this is what happen to my first mk2 and my bro-n-law on his 84 mk2. he got a tranny fluid leaking on the tranny... so when he go or went on high speed or when there is lots of leaking fluid underneath his mk2. it gave the smells too.... so try to see if you have tranny fluid leaking... if so then fix it first and see that stop the leak and not drip on the exhaust pipe so it wouldnt burn no fluid and no smells.... cause when the tranny fluid leak and it splash all over the exhaust pipe and thats why it smells like burning or some kind of gas tho... well... hope this works out too...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
TargaMKII
Stock

TargaMKII is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem...my car goes up to about 18 volts when i accel...and when i press on the brake it goes back to normal...i replaced the alternator 4 or 5 times...and it doesnt stop..i havent found another solution..it has to be a short or something...so if the alternator thing doesnt work..let me know and tell me if you can find any solutions eternal...thanks
TargaMKII is offline   Reply With Quote