View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
MK3Newb
Stock

MK3Newb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
Stock hp was about 200 for the N/A, 230 for the turbo.

Some things the turbo engine has that the N/A doesn't...

Oil Squirters
Lower compression pistons
Better oil pump (I'm told, haven't confirmed this myself)
Setup for oil feed/return lines to turbo
Setup for 2 knock sensors (N/A has one)

The big one for me is the oil squirters. Everything else is *relatively* easy to make work with a N/A short block.

I also recommend going the GTE swap route versus the N/A-T conversion. You will typically end up with about the same amount of money in it, and the turbo one usually will end up being the stronger platform when it's all said and done.

IMO when doing a swap, you should just buy a parts car with the drivetrain you want. Then you don't have to worry about the sensors and other stuff on the fender you later realize that you need. I just bought me an 87 7MGTE 5 speed parts car for $400 (that's complete engine w/turbo, sensors, R154 tranny, driveshat, rear end, intercooler and piping, wiring harness, ecu, etc). That's not common, but it happens from time to time, so keep searching craigslist!
30hp just for a turbo.... thats Pretty Weak-sauce IMO - I might just save up the money and do a different swap later cause the tranny motor turbos and ecu seems like its gonna cost me around 3k 2jz is 7k roundabout and thats just skimming on ebay for about 20 minuts
MK3Newb is offline   Reply With Quote