Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
MK3Newb
Stock

MK3Newb is on a distinguished road
Default New to forum Have ??'s

Just bought my first Supra its a 91 7Mg Manual. How hard is it to convert to a gte or is it even worth it or should i just buy a 7MGTE and do the swap. As far as the car itself its pretty solid needs minor Work i just wanted a nice car to drive back and forth from work but now i want to go faster as well... I know people always say go with the 2j swap but i dont have that kind of budget and i want to either make my 7m a turbo or swap to a 7MGTE and do a moderate amount of upgrades. So basically im asking can you just buy the extra stuff to make a 7mge a turbo or is it an entirely different motor all together . New to The Supra thing so please dont flame. Thanks for any help that can be given.
MK3Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
johnvin
3" Exhaust

johnvin is on a distinguished road

your way better off just doing a turbo swap. because turing your non turbo in to a turbo cost a lot of money and time, you have to make sure that the motor can take the boost, just do a 7mgte swap or even a 1jz or a 2jz is even better if you have the money
johnvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3Newb View Post
Just bought my first Supra its a 91 7Mg Manual. How hard is it to convert to a gte or is it even worth it or should i just buy a 7MGTE and do the swap. As far as the car itself its pretty solid needs minor Work i just wanted a nice car to drive back and forth from work but now i want to go faster as well... I know people always say go with the 2j swap but i dont have that kind of budget and i want to either make my 7m a turbo or swap to a 7MGTE and do a moderate amount of upgrades. So basically im asking can you just buy the extra stuff to make a 7mge a turbo or is it an entirely different motor all together . New to The Supra thing so please dont flame. Thanks for any help that can be given.
Sell it and buy a MKIV TT!
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

7mgte swap. 7mgte/na is awfully hard and really not worth the effort. Doable yes.. But I wouldn't, too many complications.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
MK3Newb
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
7mgte swap. 7mgte/na is awfully hard and really not worth the effort. Doable yes.. But I wouldn't, too many complications.
So if i bought the 7MGTE how good is the stock tranny cause i was looking at just getting the JDM 7MGTE building it a little and then dropping it in and turning up the boost a bit. but is the stock tranny gonna hold on that much torque?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

a w58.. probably not. you want either the auto or the manual for the turbo.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

supraturbo_mk3 is on a distinguished road

Honestly if you don't have any experience working on the 7M and no experience doing motor swaps then I think it's best if you just fix up your car a little bit make it clean sell it and buy a turbo supra because if not you are heading down a long, expensive hair pulling road.

My supra was a none turbo supra and now it has a 7MGTE JDM engine installed and you have to switch EVERYTHING from the turbo to the non turbo, including the wire harness, drive shaft, and if you want half way decent gas mileage I would swap the rear end also, plus you already seen you have to get a R154 transmission......Then when you start installing everything you realize how many odds and ends your missing I/C piping, sensor's, vacuum hoses, and seriously the list goes on and on...You wouldn't believe how expensive this can get

So seriously if you have no experience doing this or can't afford to pay someone else to do it, don't do it!!! lol That's just my opinion.

87 Supra N/A JDM 7MGTE, 8psi, 2.5inch Exhaust, 18inch Rim's, 255/45/18 rear, 255/40/18 front, 3inch DP, Ported 3inch elbow, Stage 2 6 puck Clutch

95 Eclipse GST 15psi, 3inch Stainless Steel Exhaust, 3inch DP, MBC, 2.5inch Upper I/C piping, Short Throw Shifter, Stainless Steel turbo inlet, Type S BOV (Sold)

89 Supra Turbo, 12psi, 3inch Exhaust, Ebay intake, 2.5inch Upper I/C piping, ARP Head Studs, Stainless Turbo Manifold Tial BOV (Sold)
(Sold)
supraturbo_mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
MK3Newb
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraturbo_mk3 View Post
Honestly if you don't have any experience working on the 7M and no experience doing motor swaps then I think it's best if you just fix up your car a little bit make it clean sell it and buy a turbo supra because if not you are heading down a long, expensive hair pulling road.

My supra was a none turbo supra and now it has a 7MGTE JDM engine installed and you have to switch EVERYTHING from the turbo to the non turbo, including the wire harness, drive shaft, and if you want half way decent gas mileage I would swap the rear end also, plus you already seen you have to get a R154 transmission......Then when you start installing everything you realize how many odds and ends your missing I/C piping, sensor's, vacuum hoses, and seriously the list goes on and on...You wouldn't believe how expensive this can get

So seriously if you have no experience doing this or can't afford to pay someone else to do it, don't do it!!! lol That's just my opinion.
As far as motor swaps I have done a few But mostly on GM cars never on a supra. I know im a Newb to these cars but i figured its the best way to learn is get one and just do it this is not a needed car nor something that will break me. I bought this for fun only and to get myself to tinkering on something again I just finished my 06 GTO and trust me Theres enough power there to go around. I just dont know enough about these motors so Here i am asking for the wealth of knowledge that is a forum and the advice of people who have been there-done that . thank you all for helping thus far. so What really is the difference from the 7mge to the 7mgte is the lower end forged to handle more power from factory? and i guess the tranny is different from what im hearing from others along with the driveshaft. Just makes me wonder why they would have such a different motor just to add a turbo just like most stock versions of vehicles they dont push alot of boost but theres my supra knowledge = NADA lol What is the Difference in HP from a turbo to a N/A 7M stock anyone know?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Stock hp was about 200 for the N/A, 230 for the turbo.

Some things the turbo engine has that the N/A doesn't...

Oil Squirters
Lower compression pistons
Better oil pump (I'm told, haven't confirmed this myself)
Setup for oil feed/return lines to turbo
Setup for 2 knock sensors (N/A has one)

The big one for me is the oil squirters. Everything else is *relatively* easy to make work with a N/A short block.

I also recommend going the GTE swap route versus the N/A-T conversion. You will typically end up with about the same amount of money in it, and the turbo one usually will end up being the stronger platform when it's all said and done.

IMO when doing a swap, you should just buy a parts car with the drivetrain you want. Then you don't have to worry about the sensors and other stuff on the fender you later realize that you need. I just bought me an 87 7MGTE 5 speed parts car for $400 (that's complete engine w/turbo, sensors, R154 tranny, driveshat, rear end, intercooler and piping, wiring harness, ecu, etc). That's not common, but it happens from time to time, so keep searching craigslist!
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
MK3Newb
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
Stock hp was about 200 for the N/A, 230 for the turbo.

Some things the turbo engine has that the N/A doesn't...

Oil Squirters
Lower compression pistons
Better oil pump (I'm told, haven't confirmed this myself)
Setup for oil feed/return lines to turbo
Setup for 2 knock sensors (N/A has one)

The big one for me is the oil squirters. Everything else is *relatively* easy to make work with a N/A short block.

I also recommend going the GTE swap route versus the N/A-T conversion. You will typically end up with about the same amount of money in it, and the turbo one usually will end up being the stronger platform when it's all said and done.

IMO when doing a swap, you should just buy a parts car with the drivetrain you want. Then you don't have to worry about the sensors and other stuff on the fender you later realize that you need. I just bought me an 87 7MGTE 5 speed parts car for $400 (that's complete engine w/turbo, sensors, R154 tranny, driveshat, rear end, intercooler and piping, wiring harness, ecu, etc). That's not common, but it happens from time to time, so keep searching craigslist!
30hp just for a turbo.... thats Pretty Weak-sauce IMO - I might just save up the money and do a different swap later cause the tranny motor turbos and ecu seems like its gonna cost me around 3k 2jz is 7k roundabout and thats just skimming on ebay for about 20 minuts