View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks View Post
Buy imported.

American cars and everything bolted to them are junk, always were, always will be.

Reason why?

American auto manufacturers use standard measurements.

The rest of the world (aside from some 3rd world countries) use metric measurements.

Metric is a more precise measurement than standard, always was, always will be.

And I don't care if you believe me or not, it's a proven fact.
lol.. thats a little too cut and dry (and false by the way). True.. I pretty well only buy Toyota and Honda, although I have owned some American cars... but.. there are some very very good American made cars.

The imperial vs metric argument is moot really.. that goes into tolerances and your statement is just too damn loose.. lol. All manufacturers tolerances are based on a mean value and generally arent spec'd like they should. Some are better, some are worse. Now.. a Skoda... well.. thats a different story and its metric.

Anyone who plops an argument into a broad statement like you just did is just presenting a single (and very biased) statement.. and usually wrong.

Now.. if you want to argue tolerances.. than every manufactured car is crap. You want a great car.. pull it apart and put it to the exact specification it should be. The tolerances are much tighter today then they were in the 50-80's.. but balanced and blueprinted engines perform to spec. The rest are all just "acceptible". I refuse to buy new because of price and "value", plus new cars are just too electronic for me. The old ones had character and you could actually fiddle with them.

I love older mustangs.. hate newer ones. That's solely based on personal taste. However... a 240HP Chevy cobalt isnt a bad car considering the speed you get with the fuel economy.

I love my Supra. Its designed very well, but built with a truck engine modified to be a Supra engine. I can play with it, it goes great, its customizable, affordable.. but a pig on gas. There is tons wrong with it, and a lot I love about it. So.. it goes down to the fact Toyota made an excellent car poorly. lol. I think GM and Ford make poor cars excellently. Chrysler is just crap except for some older models and perhaps their Viper which is an engineering marvel. (the stealth is a fun car.. but the Chrysler tag scares me).

Anyway.. answered your response because I was bored... but the good ole USofA can actually turn out some decent cars AND by using imperial.

(however.. whoever invented philip screws should be shot)
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote