Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Off Topic Forum

Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
professorbob
Intake

professorbob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up HELPING Foster a better understanding of subject matter!

Please do not take exception to this request, because it is not specific to just one forum's questions and answers, and is not directed at one individual. BUT!
Forums all over the internet would be so much more informative in general if the participants would use full word terminology rather that anachronisms or abbreviations. I realize that cryptic writing has become somewhat of a web standard, but it sure limits and slows down the sharing of knowledge. I cannot calculated the number of hours I have had to research various cryptic terms.
If we could just have the new full word description at the beginning of each paragraph that would go a long way toward education the new comer to any subject.
TYVM
Thanks You Very Much!

Prof.
Professor Bob
Reclaiming 1987 TubochargedM7-GTE and A340E automatic transmission.
professorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Here, this is in the Supra FAQ section: http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...on-forums.html

I'm sorry, but if there was suddenly a "no acronym/abbreviation" law I would quit my job and I would leave the forums too. There is no way I'm going to start writing out all of these terms in every single post when 90% of the readers have found the definitions and the other 10% could simply ask OR look for a dictionary of these terms.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I agree, it would make better use of the presented knowledge if less time was required to figure out what various acronyms and abbreviations meant. It took me quite some time before I figured out what IIRC meant, lol (<---- that's If I Remember Correctly and Laugh Out Loud).

I believe that this terminology is used online and in forums not to slow down the reader and confuse them, but to give the poster the ability to get the information out quicker. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm usually on here for a few minutes at a time right before I go do something else. When I'm typing, having an accepted acronym allows me to say what I want to say quickly enough so that I can share the information. Otherwise I wouldn't take the time to post, and someone will be left in the dark.

IMO (In My Opinion), this forum uses far fewer acronyms and abbreviations compared to others, and usually if you just ask what something means somebody will chime in and break it down for you.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 on the subject...
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Oh, and I'm moving this thread to the "Off Topic Forum" as I believe it better fits that forums' purpose
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

As you see fit BT.

AFAIK, it's really a beggars / choosers thing. If you want my help you may have it and I'll present it in what I feel to be a reasonable fashion when used IN CONJUNCTION with the other web resources commonly used and referenced and accepted by most as "normal references" (ie: Google or a website's FAQ). If you actually are a professor of some sort I expect you understand and appreciate the value of homework.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

glad to see this was fielded, um.. nicely

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

No negativity intended here. But if you want a free lunch you can at least pickup and carry your own tray and utensils.

Tip Jar --->