Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 05-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

JPDsupra is on a distinguished road
Exclamation N/A or Turbo?

Last weekend my friend raced a guy with a 700hp viper which was N/A and my friend has a supra mkIV wit 1000hp twin turbo, the strange thing is that the viper beat him even though the supra had a weight and power advantage. At first i thought reaction time but m friend launched off the line the same millisecond the viper did. I remember a guy telling me that N/A is usually faster than turbo beause of lag and something to do with power build up. what do you think?
JPDsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

When ur friend said he has 1000hp
What dyno did they use?

I have seen a 9 sec car win over a 8 second car
So an na with 700hp beating a 1000hp turbo
Isn't really a surprise
Driving error could happen all the time
Even if they had the same reaction time
Did the supra hook?
What was the 0-60ft times?
Maybe the viper's driver all in all better than ur friend

Plus, 1000hp@??? Rpm?
What's the setup that he's using

But that's sad tho 1000hp but useless against a 700

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Also could be the tires. Slicks vs. street tires wins every time.

With a 2-step rev limiter, and/or anti-lag setup (which comes standard with the standalone ecu that most 1000hp+ Mkiv Supras are running) there should be no significant off-the-line difference between an n/a viper and an Mkiv Turbo.

Are you 100% sure that 'race' was legit? Do you have a vid you can post? Was it a full 1/4 mile race?

Btw, what's your friend's name? Are pics of his Supra posted online anywhere? It sounds awesome...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-07-2007 at 05:13 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Also could be the tires. Slicks vs. street tires wins every time.

With a 2-step rev limiter, and/or anti-lag setup (which comes standard with the standalone ecu that most 1000hp+ Mkiv Supras are running) there should be no significant off-the-line difference between an n/a viper and an Mkiv Turbo.

Are you 100% sure that 'race' was legit? Do you have a vid you can post? Was it a full 1/4 mile race?

Btw, what's your friend's name? Are pics of his Supra posted online anywhere? It sounds awesome...
Both had slicks and the race was legit. I didnt bring a camcorder with me czuse my freind told me we were goin somewhere and i didnt mind to bring a camcorder. It was a full 1/4 mile race and my friend was catching up at the end but it was too late
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDsupra
Both had slicks and the race was legit. I didnt bring a camcorder with me czuse my freind told me we were goin somewhere and i didnt mind to bring a camcorder. It was a full 1/4 mile race and my friend was catching up at the end but it was too late
Is the 1000hp Supra TT auto or 6spd? How about the Viper?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

The supra was manual and so was the viper
Old 05-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDsupra
The supra was manual and so was the viper
Do you know if it was "1000hp" or 1000rwhp? Either way, the result shouldn't have happend as it did. Either that Supra wasn't set up well/optimally for drag racing (i.e. one or more of the following: suspension, tuning, 2-step rev limiter, nos, tire pressure, etc.) ... or the Supra driver isn't worth his/her salt. *shrug* When it comes to race day you're either 100%+++ ready or you've already lost. On paper, the Supra should have won, but that's why there are real-life races, with real cars and real human beings driving - because paper doesn't tell the whole story. Fwiw, I hope they get a rematch someday...and that the vid gets posted so we can all enjoy it!

Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #8
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

What about weight? You can have 1000hp in a freaking 50 ton tank, you aint gonna go too fast.

I haven't researched it but I'd put my money on the viper weighing alot less than a mk4 supra, but hey I may be wrong. And unless you have dyno sheets to prove this said Mk4 has 1000hp and this said viper has 700hp then you really don't know who has the power advantage.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks
What about weight? You can have 1000hp in a freaking 50 ton tank, you aint gonna go too fast...
True, but tanks were never mentioned in this thread...till now.

Quote:
I haven't researched it...
Clearly.

Quote:
...but I'd put my money on the viper weighing alot less than a mk4 supra, but hey I may be wrong...
Yep, and you'd loose your $ too:I sure wouldn't call the difference of a couple of extra cheeseburgers over lunchtime "a lot less".
Quote:
...And unless you have dyno sheets to prove this said Mk4 has 1000hp and this said viper has 700hp then you really don't know who has the power advantage.
Of course that's true, but the person that started the thread claimed to know the true horsepower levels of these two vehicles. Sure we could say he's an idiot or a liar or gullible or all three, but this is a car list. The discussion only gets interesting if we take his facts at face value, and discuss the situation from there...

Btw, 'I hate hacks' too, especially hacks that post opinions without researching them... j/k lol

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-17-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Btw, 'I hate hacks' too, especially hacks that post opinions without researching them... j/k lol
now,now play nice boys
lets see, maybe he can post a dyno sheet of hid friend's car

what i dont get with his story is his friend said they are going somewhere else,
posibly nothing to do with racing so a camera is unnecessary
but does his friend drive around town with slicks on his car?
cuz he said they both had slicks when they raced

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote