Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
jimz
Stock

jimz is on a distinguished road
Question Cheapest 10 second car?

I've always been more into drift and time attack, so I don't no much about drag.

I was wondering - if I were to try and make a 10 second car for the least possible amount of money, what would be the best car?

Put down your top 3 choices.

I know supra's are the king of street drag, but they are usually real pricey. Don't be to biased!
(and they gotta be Japanese, no domestic crap)

Thanx
jimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

What about the 1st gen talon tsi
That car is a real budget racer

Lots of parts available, light car to start with, and awd handling off the line
And the 4g63 engine has been known to go close to 1000 hps

That car would be on my list

Supras are good cuz of the 2jz engine,but a real expensive project
About 100k will get you in the 10's
You need about 800 rwhp for this to happen

And the all lovable civic
Not the cheapest either
But with patience, and the right mods
A 400 hp civic can do 10 second passes

I would say the fd rx7 , but the engine sucks, they're good when they are still stock
But when boosted , you dunt know when that thing is gonna blow

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
OmeGa
3" Exhaust

OmeGa is on a distinguished road

Get a FB RX-7, the mid 80's one take out the rotary and put in a Ford 302ci. Light car with a fairly large engine. You can pick up a cheap fb for < 1K (non-running) a 302 and the T-4 tranny for $350-500. Engine mounting kit is about $100. Then what ever else you do to the engine.

The only reason I know so much about this is because my friend is doing the exact same thing, but he picked his car up for $100+$40 to tow it.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz
...Don't be to biased!...(and they gotta be Japanese, no domestic crap)
Forgive me for saying so, but your 'rule' about Japanese-only seems to be, in itself, rather "biased"...wouldn't you agree? If you don't mind me asking, why would you limit your choices for an inexpensive drag car to Japanese only?

For what it's worth, I don't know anything cheaper to make fast in the 1/8th and in the 1/4 than an older 'fox-body' mustang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz
...I know supra's are the king of street drag...
I don't know why you'd say this...especially if you're including the MK4 Supra in the list. The MK4, along with ANY other IRS-equipped car, are far from drag kings. IRS is for roadracing, and makes any car a LOT slower for drag. Sure, turbo supras are pretty much unbeatable from a roll on the highway, and they can be hacked/bastardized (with a TH400 tranny and slicks on 15" rims) to run 8s and be competitive in certain drag racing classes...but supras in general (especially the mk4) are designed for roadracing, NOT drag racing. If you want something cheap to build for drag racing, start with anything solid-axle that's not too heavy...slap a larger-displacement cheap engine in it (eg. 350 chevy or like OmeGa said, a 302 ford) and have lots of fun...1/4 mile at a time.

Just mho, fwiw...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-18-2007 at 11:43 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

QFT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2NR
...Supras are good cuz of the 2jz engine,but a real expensive project
About 100k will get you in the 10's
You need about 800 rwhp for this to happen...
If you don't mind me saying so, your statements are not at all true. You do NOT need 800rwhp to get an mk4 Supra into the 10s, and you do NOT need 100k to build an 800rwhp mk4 Supra. I don't know where you think you heard this BS, but it's not even close to reality. The Mk4 may not be the ideal drag race platform, and I'm not saying they're cheap to modify for drag racing, but your figures are absolutely rediculous. There are already ~500rwhp 'bpu'+nos mk4s in the 10s, so why do you think it takes another $70K and 300 more rwhp to do exactly the same thing? Rofl.

Pardon me hijacking your thread jimz...just trying to make sure the supra-related info posted on this thread is accurate. Supra2NR, if you want to debate me on this point, we should probably start a new/different thread...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-20-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
3RD STRIKE
3" Exhaust

3RD STRIKE is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 10 sec. car

Hey, my name is gene. first of all i would like to say i dont know a lot about these supras except the 5mge supras. I have two of them and i also have a 280zx, I have set them up pretty much the same. The 280 will run stronger off the line better than the supra will but the supra is stronger on the back side. My assesment of the results are this,you dont need the stronger car to be the quicker car in all cases. At the end of the track these two are 1 mph. apart in speed.The different in thier time is the 280 in front w/et. of 10.44 and the supra losing w/10.12. Now i upgraded the 280 w/alum. flywheel &act stage 3 solid hub clutch. The results bring the 280,s time to 9.58,s. Personlly i like the 280 for speed. I also like it because you can do the same things to it as you can 4 about half the money. Now keep in mind both of these cars are basicly the same. they both have 2.8 liter engines independent suspension. the gears are about the same. SO IF YOUR LOOKING 4 A CHEAP BUILD I RECOMEND THE 280 BUT REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!! But dont get it twisted i would not take anything 4 my supra on the street! So i also agree on the street a supra cant be beat, this i know from my own experience. Not even a 944 porche can touch em. ps. its better to be quicker off the line,because the better hole shot usually wins no matter whose driving what. GOOD LUCK!!!!
3RD STRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
jimz
Stock

jimz is on a distinguished road

Looks like I got something started.

I limited it to japanese cars, because they excel in time attack(lancer etc.) and drift (s15 silvia etc.), which is where most of my interest lies. Plus I just don't like domestics, dont ask me why, I never did.
I'm not going to argue about supras, cuz im sure most of you know more about them than me.

I'm planning to buy a cheap street car and slowely build it up. thats why i started this. The thing is, I don't want it to be all-drag, which is one reason why i dont want a solid rear axle.
I know that this might stop me from running 10's, but i want it to do good in drag.

Any other opinions?
jimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Caliturbo88
Stock

Caliturbo88 is on a distinguished road

nova with a 383 stroker wont get a jap. car faster for cheaper then that would be
Caliturbo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
If you don't mind me saying so, your statements are not at all true. You do NOT need 800rwhp to get an mk4 Supra into the 10s, and you do NOT need 100k to build an 800rwhp mk4 Supra. I don't know where you think you heard this BS, but it's not even close to reality. The Mk4 may not be the ideal drag race platform, and I'm not saying they're cheap to modify for drag racing, but your figures are absolutely rediculous. There are already ~500rwhp 'bpu'+nos mk4s in the 10s, so why do you think it takes another $70K and 300 more rwhp to do exactly the same thing? Rofl.

Pardon me hijacking your thread jimz...just trying to make sure the supra-related info posted on this thread is accurate. Supra2NR, if you want to debate me on this point, we should probably start a new/different thread...
Well the reply was kinda biased since the price was for a show ready,street driven 10 second car, no spray either too, jus a huge turbo, so that's with everything done right and proper

I mean, would you wanna see a supra get bastardize with a chevy trans or any of that crap,

Plus I got a question, do they let jap car with amrican carparts, race in the pro circuit? If they do what class?

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Well the reply was kinda biased since the price was for a show ready,street driven 10 second car, no spray either too, jus a huge turbo, so that's with everything done right and proper...
Ok, but even so there's still no way it would cost anywhere near that $100K you said for a 10 second mkiv supra tt, even if it is "show ready". Also, you don't need a "huge" 800rwhp turbo (or anywhere near it) to get into the 10s. Whether it's a small single turbo, or a bpu supra with nos, 10s are cake for an mkiv tt (with a half-decent driver, of course). From a budget perspective the only trouble with the mkiv tt is the hefty cost of getting the car in the first place. Fwiw, I'd say your reply was far more than "biased"...it was (imho) an extreme exaggeration, since (again) you were about $70K over budget and about 300rwhp too high. You'd have to gold-plate a 10 second mkiv supra tt and put in a $30k stereo system for it to end up costing $100k. j/k lol

Besides, why on earth did you assume "no spray"? jimz asked about drag, and ime spray and drag racing go together like bread & butter...

...also why did you assume that jimz wants info posted on this thread for a full "show ready" car??? Show me where he said that! Even that "budget racer" "1st gen talon tsi" you mentioned could co$t an @$$load if you go all out and prep it for full show...

Like I said Supra2NR, if you want to continue to discuss this, out of respect for jimz's thread, I'd suggest we either start a new thread or drop this right now. Personally, I'd prefer the latter option...

Quote:
...do they let jap car with amrican carparts, race in the pro circuit? If they do what class?
Yep. NDRA, Pro Classes: Pro Street Tire is one example. You need to tell your local boys to get off their butts and compete, since they actually supply one of the kits to bolt a TH400 to the 2jz-gte!

Lastly, jimz, I don't want you to think I'm stating or implying that an mkiv supra is your ideal "10 second car for the least possible amount of money"...even though Supra2NR really exaggerated, you're still looking at at least $25-$30k USD to do 10s with an mkiv, and I'm sure there are many other less expensive options for you. Hopefully if Supra2NR wants to continue this debate about how badly he exaggerated his figures for the supra, he'll have the courtesy to start another thread so this one can get back to focusing on getting your initial question answered.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-20-2007 at 02:28 PM.