Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-13-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
spidy005
Stock

spidy005 is on a distinguished road
Default need a little help please.

ok so, were to begin. i have a toyota supra 1989 n/a 7mge engine, automatic. i have recently replaced the headgasket. it was running b4 headgasket was removed. now i have replaced the head gasket and it will not start. engine cranks, is getting spark, fuel. everything needed to start. has plenty fuel, and is new. have replaced cap rotor with new one, spark plugs wires, coil, bout everything...all wiring is fine...now i have replaced the cold start injector, switch. timing is dead on and the distributor is dead on. it will crank fine. it will sputter like it will start but nada. weird thing is b4 head gasket replacement it would start on first crank and run but blow white smoke. now nothing. have tried with old and new components. have messed around with timing tryin to figure out what is wrong but come up with nothing...can anyone help please..! i really would love to drive it again. thanks, bill.
spidy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default Shot in the dark

This sounds exactly like what happened when I did some work and forgot to reconnect the AFM, the piece right behind the air filter. Maybe you're not as dumb as me but it did happen and the symptoms were identical.

Scruffboy
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem on N/A BHG repair, the problem is after dismantling most of the top half of the engine you suspect everything.I spent days scratching my head (no wonder I'm loosing my hair) It turned out to be the distributor positioning, I had no problems with Turbo cam sensor after re build, but the N/A was very sensitive to positioning. Try turning the engine over and ask someone to rotate the distributors, if you get a puff of black smoke from the exhaust then you are nearly there. Also make sure # 1 piston was at top dead centre when you inserted the distributor. The piston should be at the top of its stroke and the crank pulley at zero.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
spidy005
Stock

Default again...

cool, but i set my two cam shaft marks at the tdc matchmarks on the timing plate, with the dowl pins in cams facing straight up. Then the tdc "0" mark on the crankshaft...then proceded to install distributor via the notch on the shaft which matches the notch on the driven gear. insert it an viola...nothing. still. so now i start getting frantic and putting the distributor at every known tick...but wait, a hint of life comes from the engine...sputtering...check the timing...then all of a sudden it ends up at tdc "0" mark on crank shaft and the cams are 180 degrees out of align, but yet i still get life outta engine were the correct way i get nothing but cranking and fuel...whats this all about...!!! i've been struggling with this thing for over 3 days and nothing...yet...what else do u ladys & gents have for me...? thanks, bill.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy005
then all of a sudden it ends up at tdc "0" mark on crank shaft and the cams are 180 degrees out of align, but yet i still get life outta engine were the correct way i get nothing but cranking and fuel...whats this all about...!!! i've been struggling with this thing for over 3 days and nothing...yet...what else do u ladys & gents have for me...? thanks, bill.
Yes that’s correct, but # 1 piston will be at the bottom of the stroke. Just to make sure your timing set up is correct; remove # 1 spark plug insert a length of clean metal or wooden dowel/rod, rotate the engine until the # 1 piston is at its highest point and the crank pulley reads zero and the cam pulleys are matching the marks on the cam cover rear plate.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
spidy005
Stock

Default ahhh fixed...!

so the whole problem was something stupid and small as usual...thanks a million for all your thoughts on this subject..! It just happened to be the fellow who was helping me out forgot to install the cam gears on the middle dowl...instead he put them on the farthest dowl and timing was completely off like no tomorrow...As soon as i set it how it was supposed to be.Viola.!!!!! started and ran like a champ...Just glad to be on the road again...! Love my cars...Thanks, bill.