Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
JIMMY JAMES
Stock

JIMMY JAMES is on a distinguished road
Default Dashboard lights

Hi In new to this forum, I actually just made a transition from HAN (honda-acura.net) because i destroyed my integra......But now ive got a 1987 turbo supra its only been one day and im super impressed....my issue is that when i was driving around last night there was a light that poped up on the dash in the far left hand side. It came up so quick that i didnt see what it was can anyone help?

Cheers
JIMMY JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
Drag0na5h
3" Exhaust

Drag0na5h is on a distinguished road

Far left? There's only one warning light there and it's the coolant reservoir tank low fluid indicator. Always keep an eye on that thing, it's important especially for MKIIIs. The coolant reservoir tank is located right next to the driver side headlight in front of the radiator. Keep it to the full mark which is about half way full in that tank.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
JIMMY JAMES
Stock

JIMMY JAMES is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag0na5h
Far left? There's only one warning light there and it's the coolant reservoir tank low fluid indicator. Always keep an eye on that thing, it's important especially for MKIIIs. The coolant reservoir tank is located right next to the driver side headlight in front of the radiator. Keep it to the full mark which is about half way full in that tank.
what would it mean if it just flashed on for a second when i went around a corner
JIMMY JAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

it just means its slightly low and when the fluid sloshed it exposed the sensor....nothing to worry about...just add a little coolant

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
SupraSaver87
3" Exhaust

SupraSaver87 is on a distinguished road
Default For the New People

I just wanted to welcome you to the Supra forums, and say congrats on owning a FINE...FINE FINE FINE vehicle...lol.

That little light (Nicknamed the Birdcage), will annoy you unless you top up your fluid about once a week....at least if you plan on doing any QUICK stopping. When you do a quick stop, then the coolant flows out of the overflow hose attatched to that little container. After a couple of those, your whole container is pretty much empty.

Now on to the common problems:

Problem: Blowing Head Gasket

Solution:
1) Keep shelling out cash everytime it breaks to buy a new stock one
2) Mill your heads, and block, buy ARP bolts, and a metal HG, put it together....that is a lasting solution

Problem: Loss of everything electical, car stalls

Solution:
1) one or more of the three common ground wires are loose. They should be checked, and tight'nd back up if needed. There is one at the firewall, there is another right near the battery, and the last is near the starter motor.
2) Your alternator is shot. Get it load tested, if all ground wires are fine, if that is shot, you are looking at shelling out more than 100 canadian.

Problem: Boost guage isn't going as high as it used to, and you notice a small to large loss of power (HP, engine power)

Solution: There is only one thing that could cause this as far as I know. You have a boost leak, this is a hard one to fix, basically you have to check each hose that deals with airflow TO you engine, also check your exhaust system before the turbo...it may be cracked.

P.S. A boost leak is not good....in any sense. The engine CAN be run with it, because its most likely just adding more fuel to your car than what is needed...that is part of the loss of power that you would feel. The other reason for the power loss is that you engine isn't getting all the air that is being sucked in.

Problem: " OMG!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!!! It looks like a cage of some sort...I hope that isn't bad??!?!?!?"

Solution: If you see a yellow/amber light come on, on the left side of your dash, right next to the temp guage, that is your "Warning coolant low" light. You have to fill the container that is to the RIGHT of the LEFT headlight half way. There is a sensor in there that tells you when the coolant is getting low...because we can all guess what aluminum heads would look like after running with no coolant.

there are some more problems that supra have now and again, but these are the most talked about in this forum. Ask most people in here a question..and you will get a good, and explained answer...most of the time. Unless you use bad grammar, and can't spell, and just got your mommy and daddy to buy you the car (IHate****s...lol) <----- forum joke...you might not get it, but PM me, and I'll explain.

Our Supra’s, which art in the driveway,
Hollowed be thy power, thy mods are great, thy speed endless,
On the road or at the track. Give us this day free of cops,
And forgive us our impound charges, as we forgive those who are slow.
And lead us not into speed traps, and deliver us from the interceptors,
For thine is our car, the power, and the glory…forever and ever….amen.
SupraSaver87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
famous
Stock

famous is on a distinguished road

Yeah i got the same light in my 87 supra ..but i have a power steeing leak so it has to do with that ahaha
famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
MICAHMOBERLY
Stock

MICAHMOBERLY is on a distinguished road
Default birdcage indicator

thanks, I was about to ask about that one too, also ( this is my sons Supra ) he is about to turn 16, but has to earn his right to drive it yet, but We bought it used, and did not have a manual for it, just a repair manual, does any one no where the fuse panel is, not the one under the hood, The radio is not working and the power mirrors either, also I think there is a short in the wiring harness, we can not unlock the drivers side without setting of the alarm, bu tif we upon up the passanger side all is good, any help on this one
MICAHMOBERLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

there's a fuse panel in the drivers side kick left kick panel,
i believe the radio fuse is there too

and the door problem
my car does it too

so everytime the alarm goes off
everybody looks at me like im a criminal
so i just yell "YES I AM STEALING MY OWN CAR WITH MY OWN KEYS"
but it takes practice for me to open the door
a little stroke while turning the key
thats what i do
hopefully it works for you

experiment on turning the key

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol

Last edited by Supra2NR; 08-17-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote