Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
extendor
Stock

extendor is on a distinguished road

I have just succumbed to a mid life crisis and bought a Mk3 Turbo Supra and it has really put a smile on my face. Now I need to be practical and get to know a few people who can help me keep that smile going. This forum seems great and you all know your stuff. I am farly practical and mechanical so i think i can contribute as well. However, I have never owned a Supra before and I hope you would be willing to share your knowledge with me.

Many thanks
extendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Jester
3" Exhaust

Jester is on a distinguished road

hola - nice to meet you. im Rob, im 16 and i live in Pensylvania, USA
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

hey, welcome to the forum... supra's they give smiles and headaches but when there's smiles there's alotta fun :P
if you ever need anything you can always call here we'd be happy to share our knowledge

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
extendor
Stock

Thankyou. It was a surprise to see that Jester is only 16. When can you guys start to drive. We have to wait until 17 and then take two tests. The first is theory and the second is practical and then they make you wait until you are nearly too old to enjoy it before you can afford a decent car like a Supra.

By the way I am Chris and 41. If you want to hear about driiving in the UK, I would like to swap experiences etc
Old 11-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
Jester
3" Exhaust

in the US you have to be 16 to take the test to get your driver's permit, which is 18 questions, and you have to get 15 right, if you get 4 wrong you fail and you have to wait a week to take it again. The permit lets you drive with a parent. then if you take drivers education, you can take your driver's test, which is an acutal on the road test, paralell parking, etc... if you pass that you get your license and you can drive how ever many people will fit in the car, but you cant be driving before 5:00 in the morning and out past 11:00 at night. Once you turn 17.5 years old (if you took drivers ed. If you didnt you have to wait till you are 18) your license turns into a sr. license, and you can driver whenever you want to.

I have my permit, and my birthday is october 18, so i have to wait till April 22 to go for my license test.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
extendor
Stock

I bet that feels a long time away. Good luck in advance for that. Our system seems a bit more regulated but as to whether it makes it any safer I have my doubts. In my opinion the worst drivers are the oldies (myself excluded). By oldies I mean +65 with really bad eyesight, slow reactions making stupid manouvers because thay cant anticpate what anyone else is doing. Thats not to say I am a speed freak but I do know the difference between slow and safe and they are not always the same.

Is that going to prompt a reply I wonder.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #7
Jester
3" Exhaust

i totally agree with you - there should be an age limit on how old you can be and still drive... or they should have to take a test to see if they are still good enough to drive
Old 11-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #8
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

i dunno where you guys are but here in New Zealand... at the age of 65 or 70 i believe it is... it is compulsary to resit your license or to just hand it over...
but we still get oldies that can't drive LOL

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 PM   #9
GOGS
Intake

GOGS is on a distinguished road

hi +welcome
getting a liscence is one thing but keeping it is another.
Cops in grampian region Aberdeenshire are notorious for being sleekit . Last month i sat behind transit vans +a tractor for several miles .got to a crawler lane uphill in my v8 sd1 hit throttle in 3rd + guess whos hiding at the exact place to catch people speeding on overtaking h34r: bxxxxxxx.I hit brakes rapid but time will tell <_<
GOGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #10
extendor
Stock

Hi Gogs,
Sneaky tactics. It would be very easy to take either side of the arguement but there is no doubting a certain ground swell of opinion in the way the motorist is seen as a source of revenue. Motorists pay fines. Burglars cost money to process. It is a simple law of economics.

If the police deliberately set up a situation that creates all the right circumstances for a motorist to break the law by creating frustration and unnecessary delay then they are not upholding the spirit of the law but being a sneaky dirty rotten SOAB. When the traffic police really need the support of the general public they should not be surprised when they turn their back.

No matter what the police may say. THERE IS A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE between your average speeding offence and mugging some old lady. However, one is easier to catch.

Am I right or wrong. Do you see this sort of tactic employed in other countries.