Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
hiaburi
Stock

hiaburi is on a distinguished road
Question Guys Help Me

89 mkiii 7mge no turbo..
just put this motor in.. brand new clutch.. gaskets.. all that. it is all in. the motor turns over but will not start. does not fire at all. my wires came with 8 wires... yes 8. is that right and i just missed one somewhere?????????? i am tryin to fig out what i missed cuz i need this car in a week.. also the clutch.
it is there you can feel it in the pedal but it is not enough to disengage it. i know because the car tries to roll when u turn it over while u are holding the clutch. the pedal feel really soft. do i need to just bleed it???????
thanks for your help fellas
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

8 wires. Either a cheap kit or wrong part number or both. Wires are wires, and 6 of the 8 should still work. Are any of the coils working? If no spark, the coils are not firing. Why? Coil pack bad, bad connector? Is the 'Check Engine' light coming on when you try to start? This is an important self-test for the ECM. No light, no run.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
89basemodel
Stock

89basemodel is on a distinguished road

I can't help with the engine problem but as for the plugs...

I looked today (because i thought i needed a new set) and the wire set for the supra from some manufacture is universal for the GTE and the GE. It includes the wire that runs from the distributor to the coil and also the wire to the coil pack.
89basemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
t.ortlieb@peoplepc.com
3" Exhaust

t.ortlieb@peoplepc.com is on a distinguished road
Default hopefully this will help

CHEAK TO PLUG FIRST IF THEY ARE WORN DOWN[CENTER POST] TOSS THEM. IF THEY ARE COVERED W/OIL TOSS THEM. CRACKS IN THE CEAMIC THE WHITE PART OF THE PLUG. TOSS THE. BUT PLS DONT TAKE THEM OUT JUST YET you will need the knowlage as to where the wires go so take them one at atime and put the wires back on right away. w/the new plug in there

this is going back to the basices. 2ND thing first pull of wire of the plug one at a time. a cheap tool is a spark tester. if you got a auto zone near they only cost like 5 bucks but it is agood tool for you have. the ground clip on the tester needs to go on a good grounding point. a wide bear braided wire like the one going from the fire wall to engige. the plug tester has an adjust ment on it to make the distance from where you will see the spark. adjust it far way.if you dont see spark then shorting the distance in the tester. and i hope you see spark if you didnt see a spark at its farthest distance. srew the adjuster in farther to shorten the distance and if need be shorten it closer ..pls pls see sparkafter you see spark. put the wire back on the plug and go to the rest. same test see if you have. spark. continue the elininate whether you have spark. if you dont or just working on some but not others.....if you donot have spark!!!!!you need coil pack. only the ones that dont work. if you have no sprak at all on any wires oh hell i almost forgot see if the wires are good. to do this put the spark tester on the coil packs you got spark there . its the wires. replace them and stop problem is probaly fixed the part that the coil packs conect to is bad. ok so lets assume you have spark you have good sronge spark every where. now you have eliminated an electical system problem its all good. next test to see if you have gas in your gas tank ,, i am sure you have aready checked that simply put wilth out and gas and spark your car will never run. ok the simpest test to see if you got gas go into the motor after the air fillter going to the engine and find a remove the one hoes about 1/2 way down the air filter main sleave. get a can or 2 of starting fluid. crank the engine and spary the starting fluid into the direction of the intack manifold [tward the engine ] while cranking the car spray rhe starting fluid when it starts you dont have gas getting to the engine stop sprying the starter fluid and the car shoud die. bad news now the earlyer fixes are cheap no gas ... start in this order to fix. like to fix the cheapest part first i think you would find logic in this. 1. change the fiul filter. 2. then see if the fuil pump is working...w/some ones ear against the gas tank or listening down the gas fill up tube. first one i have foune the more efective. DONOT TURnTHE MOTOR ON. turn the key to the off position. chill for a min to get all the sound around you gone or quiet please turn the key to the on position. not to be cofused w/turning the car over. the last click on the key before last step be4 turning the car over. listen carfully. the fuil pump should cycle for 15 seconds. to presuries the system.prior to starting the car. you will here a hum. hereing that hum would be great news. pump is all good. if there any thing i can help w/my emailis tortlieb@verizon.net
t.ortlieb@peoplepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote