Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #31
kingtal0n
Stock

kingtal0n is on a distinguished road

I know this is old as hell but I had to chime in.
See it here
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378973

See it here
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378973
kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #32
TopLine
Stock

TopLine is on a distinguished road

It cost 1000 for the initial payment for shipping then when u pick it up from the dock its another 485....they do this because they have to take care of the destuffing of the crate and the cost of shipping the empty crate back to japan.
Unless you are over in japan yourself you also have to also pay an export agent to take care of everything for you. So there is an export agent fee. They also have a pre auction inspection fee. Another fee is the JVEC decontamination fee which is where they steam clean the vehicle to remove it from foreign soils. Also depending on which auction house they get it from they might charge you a inland freight fee to take the car to the docs...if you want to lower your cost you can bring 3 cars and get your own crate for the initial payment of 3400 which will hold 3 cars.

I work with an export agent in japan so if anyone has any questions feel free to email me at toplineautos@hotmail.com
TopLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
okinawa-supra
Stock

okinawa-supra is on a distinguished road
Default importing.

I currently live in okinawa japan and i have a jdm rhd supra, it is possible to bring a jdm supra back, the thing is that the cost out here to have it shipped to your to a state like FL in your name will cost about 10 grand. maybe 12 grand. what one of the companies do is they convert the bumpers windows and things like that then register it threw canada then drive it to the states then register it in one of the states.
my buddy brought back his 96 skyline like that and another one of my buddies brought back a 94 supra. it is possible but when i tried to ask the man at the DOT department of transportation he said if you have a "RI" doing your vehicle and he just pretty much scams out the whole "conversion" your car will get impounded and you will never see it again. i you get pulled over.
the best way is threw canada cause my friends never had problems. im saving up $10,000 so i can bring my 93 supra back its a N/a but it will be a monster when you all see it in MIAMI.
also the man at the DOT said 1 week ago in cali they impounded 2 skylines r33's cause they were speeding and they never saw their car again.
also he said make sure you keep the "ri's info incase you get a fine.
good luck im still hoping my importation will go through.
okinawa-supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #34
TopLine
Stock

TopLine is on a distinguished road

Im not to sure to importing cars for people who already own them. I know in Canada if you go to japan for something work related and u lived there over a year an in that time u had to buy a car. You can legally bring it in 100% legal into canada tax free but its alot of paper work. I bring my cars in through canada when I do my cars but they have to be 15 years or older. Honestly the best way for me to help you would be to tell you to sell your car and dont waste time and the money trying to get it here.
I can get you a 1993 Twin turbo in good condition with a clean florida title for around 25,000 or less.

Any right hand drive supra brought in to the US is technically illegal since there has never been anyone who has actually dont the modifications and crash test needed to know how to bring it up to US specs. Over 90% of skylines in the US are grey market and any grey market car has the risk of being impounded. You dont here about it much because it rarely happens...all the the feds have been crackin down more on skylines over the years because everyone knows that car was never manufactured for the US market. Supra is a little less risky. But if you have the correct paper work and title and all that jazz, if you get pulled over there is not really much they can say unless they really look into it.

msg me toplineautos@hotmail.com and we can talk more about it
TopLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
BradMD
Stock

BradMD is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, i know this is a PROPER thread resurrection but need some answers, I plan to move to Florida before the end of next year and so want to bring my car with me, I've heard about importing one whilst living in the US and i think this costs more as you haven't owned it already for over a year or something, also its not shipping from japan, as i live in the UK. I want to know how much it will cost me to get it registered in the US. Also would it be cheaper to ship it myself as 'possessions' with all my furniture etc, and then when its there, find a wrecked USDM Supra or something and start swapping all the different parts, like the brake resivoir, bars in the doors, glasses..... and so on and maybe swap it to LHD? As I would think that the DOT people would price up everything, being new parts and all and plus labour?

Thanks Brad
BradMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMD View Post
Hi guys, i know this is a PROPER thread resurrection but need some answers, I plan to move to Florida before the end of next year and so want to bring my car with me, I've heard about importing one whilst living in the US and i think this costs more as you haven't owned it already for over a year or something, also its not shipping from japan, as i live in the UK. I want to know how much it will cost me to get it registered in the US. Also would it be cheaper to ship it myself as 'possessions' with all my furniture etc, and then when its there, find a wrecked USDM Supra or something and start swapping all the different parts, like the brake resivoir, bars in the doors, glasses..... and so on and maybe swap it to LHD? As I would think that the DOT people would price up everything, being new parts and all and plus labour?

Thanks Brad
Unfortunately I have no experience in this specific area. However, I'd recommend that you get in touch with companies that import cars into the US.

Also be sure to review:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D%3D/search/1

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote