Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
2JZEFINI-17
3" Exhaust

2JZEFINI-17 is on a distinguished road
Default Auto or 6 speed???

Ok in one month I am hoping to pick up a 93-98 supra, I really want the 6 speed but they are so expensive and rare that it is really giving me a headache.... I am however getting the TT for sure... I want to know If there is a huge difference in the 6 speed/auto if the supra is at BPU level. Is the auto faster or slower then the 6 speed? Alot of my buddies have been telling me the auto is faster... Is this true. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks alot..
2JZEFINI-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
tone loc
20psi boost

tone loc is on a distinguished road

auto is faster in stright up level surface drag race because it gets rid of the human element and thats all i know about the big diffrences. sorry for the bad spelling
tone loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
2JZEFINI-17
3" Exhaust

2JZEFINI-17 is on a distinguished road

How much horsepower can the automatic handle without being under any real stress? I know that the gatreg 6 speed can handle well over 1000...
2JZEFINI-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZEFINI-17
How much horsepower can the automatic handle without being under any real stress? I know that the gatreg 6 speed can handle well over 1000...
The auto can handle 500rwhp or so before it starts slipping. There are a few companies that offer to rebuild the internals, but that'll only get it up to about 650rwhp or so reliably (depending on exactly how hard you drive, the tires you're running, etc.). Most Mkiv owners that are 700rwhp+ with an auto swap to a TH400..

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
supramanocnsd
3" Exhaust

supramanocnsd is on a distinguished road

Well the 6speed can take alof of HP.. with the right clutch.... The auto is alittle lighter and spools much faster... he is right about the stock trans tho.. 500 hp and it's time for a better tq converter... and a rebuild if you wanan go faster.... But traction is the key with the auto.. you link up and go... the TH400 is by far the best upgrade you can make to an auto TT Supra... TT or Single.. the th400 is sweet... or the auto light... those auto's run 7's... but thats a $5,000 trans... I have a 94 auto TT Supra... I've drove alot.. of 6speeds and I'll tell you this.. traction is key in any event... ^speeds make big RWHP on the Dyno then slip and ruin clutchs on the strip... Auto's grab the track and run... and there is nothing like not haveing to shift gears while getting your girl to give you some road head with the targa top off.... But hey that's my opinion..... Buy what makes you happy.... Drive a few of each.... that's what I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
The auto can handle 500rwhp or so before it starts slipping. There are a few companies that offer to rebuild the internals, but that'll only get it up to about 650rwhp or so reliably (depending on exactly how hard you drive, the tires you're running, etc.). Most Mkiv owners that are 700rwhp+ with an auto swap to a TH400..
supramanocnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramanocnsd
...The auto is alittle lighter and spools much faster...
The transmission itself is lighter? ... or the rotating components of the driveline?

With the oem flywheel I agree that the rotating components of the 6spd are heavier, but very few mkiv owners that drag race run the oem flywheel. ...and if you're talking about the transmission itself, the auto is much heavier (I've carried both, so I'm speaking from personal experience).

Overall good post though ... as I posted earlier I very much agree with you that an auto is the way to go if you're serious about drag racing the mkiv...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
supramanocnsd
3" Exhaust

The rotating components of the driveline are...... if you wanna get tech on it a 6sp weighs 3415.. the ttauto 3425.. only 10lbs..

Quote:
The transmission itself is lighter? ... or the rotating components of the driveline?

With the oem flywheel I agree that the rotating components of the 6spd are heavier, but very few mkiv owners that drag race run the oem flywheel. ...and if you're talking about the transmission itself, the auto is much heavier (I've carried both, so I'm speaking from personal experience).

Overall good post though ... as I posted earlier I very much agree with you that an auto is the way to go if you're serious about drag racing the mkiv...
Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramanocnsd
The rotating components of the driveline are...... if you wanna get tech on it a 6sp weighs 3415.. the ttauto 3425.. only 10lbs..
If you wanna get tech, try picking them up yourself. The difference is a LOT more than 10lbs. Part of the explaination of the similar overall weights has to do with the heavy oem flywheel that stays on the engine when you remove the 6spd...

Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
JustinCT
Stock

JustinCT is on a distinguished road

The question is...what do you prefer...an auto or a manual? I prefer a manual so I just waited longer and saved more. Just make sure you get what you want the first time you buy. No sense in rushing into something that isn't exactly what you hoped for. It sounds like you'd prefer a 6 speed, so I recommend you just save a bit more and wait for the right car to come around.
JustinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
supramanocnsd
3" Exhaust

That's physical.. not Tech.. and I have.... it's 10lbs... the flywheel is not the prob.... it is heavy.. but no the prob Why are we talking about this???

Quote:
If you wanna get tech, try picking them up yourself. The difference is a LOT more than 10lbs. Part of the explaination of the similar overall weights has to do with the heavy oem flywheel that stays on the engine when you remove the 6spd...