Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
Spinincube
Stock

Spinincube is on a distinguished road
Default i need help.

i just saw a 94 supra for sell. its got under 90000 miles. and its twin turbo, its on sell for under 3000.00 dollar. is it true? or am i just dreaming? isnt it too cheap to be true. also he claims he moved to outer state. so he says shipping company has it. in miniaplois, he claims there is no problem with it, clean title, he just want it out of his hands. ok.. fine but here comes my real question. is it worth for me to buy this car? i own 2004 accord which is good car. but no power. i like to buy a car with power. so i found this car online. but my friend told me supra has lots of problem. is it true? he says the engine is not stong enough for TT. and he claims i will be putting lots of $$ in to the car if i do get it.
please help. me decide.
Spinincube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinincube
i just saw a 94 supra for sell. its got under 90000 miles. and its twin turbo, its on sell for under 3000.00 dollar. is it true? or am i just dreaming? isnt it too cheap to be true. also he claims he moved to outer state. so he says shipping company has it. in miniaplois, he claims there is no problem with it, clean title, he just want it out of his hands. ok.. fine but here comes my real question. is it worth for me to buy this car? i own 2004 accord which is good car. but no power. i like to buy a car with power. so i found this car online. but my friend told me supra has lots of problem. is it true? he says the engine is not stong enough for TT. and he claims i will be putting lots of $$ in to the car if i do get it.
please help. me decide.
I'm sorry to inform you that "you're dreaming" if you think that's a genuine advertisement. This is either a scam (most likely), or the car is so badly wrecked that it's not even worth $3k. Even if the engine is totally blown, the car should still be worth at least $12K or so...it really must be wrecked too, with serious frame damage. If you want to prove it for yourself, tell him you have the $3k cash in-hand and you want to go see the car right away...tell him you'll get on a plane and fly anywhere in the US (wherever the shipping company has the car stored). Then I'm sure his reaction will tell you whether or not it's a scam.

Also, your friend is wrong. The Mkiv Supra Turbo is a very reliable car in unmodified form...after all, it's a Toyota! Many bone-stock, properly-maintained Mkiv Supra TT's have passed the 200K mile mark with no major problems. Your friend is also wrong when he says "the engine is not strong enough for tt". The Mkiv Supra Turbo is equipped with a 2jz-gte engine, which has proven itself to reliably handle & produce 850 rear wheel horsepower (that's 1000 horsepower at the crankshaft!!!) without any internal modifications (other than a pair of longer-duration camshafts). It's literally one of the strongest car engines ever produced by any automobile manufacturer, ever...

Your friend is right about one thing however...the Mkiv Supra TT isn't a cheap car to upgrade. Also keep in mind that regular maintenance on this car isn't cheap either. Note that twelve years ago, a loaded '94 Supra TT originally sold for about $50K brand-new, which is about $75K in today's (2006) dollars...so in essence you're talking about maintaining a $50K-$75K automobile. I agree that it's cool to "buy a car with power", but I'm sure you realize that 'sportscars' are more expensive to maintain than regular passenger cars. For example, expect to spend $800-$1200 for a set of tires that might only last you for 10K-15K miles. Expect to spend $50 or more for an oil change, and more per fill-up since it only takes premium fuel. If you decide to upgrade the Mkiv TT, the $ picture does get even worse. You can easily spend $2k to get the car to 'bpu+' and you can spend in excess of $15k to get a mid-size single turbo upgrade on it. On the other hand, if you keep it bone-stock, and properly aligned, imo the regular maintenance on it (fluids, tires, belts, etc.) is very reasonable for a $50K+ 'sportscar'.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-09-2006 at 12:17 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote