Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Dom
Stock

Dom is on a distinguished road
Question oil in intercooler

i have a 95 twin turbo recently i noticed oil dripping from intercooler would anybody be able to give me any info on this thanks
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
i have a 95 twin turbo recently i noticed oil dripping from intercooler would anybody be able to give me any info on this thanks
Most likely it's not an issue (depending on the quantity) and the oil is coming from your PCV system. Worst case you've either got excessive blow-by in one or more of your cylinders or your turbo seal(s) are leaking. I'd suggest starting with a compression test, and also consider routing your PCV hose(s) through a catch-can.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Dom
Stock

thanks a lot for the reply .I striped front of car today to get a good look at it looks like intercooler got a good bang underneath it at some stage ,i priced a new one from blitz 1400 euro was told i would need a boost controler 800euro if i upgrade intercooler ,thanks again for your help
Old 03-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
thanks a lot for the reply .I striped front of car today to get a good look at it looks like intercooler got a good bang underneath it at some stage ,i priced a new one from blitz 1400 euro was told i would need a boost controler 800euro if i upgrade intercooler ,thanks again for your help
You don't need a boost controller if you only upgrade the intercooler. Those two modifications are not directly related to each other at all.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
Dom
Stock

in relation to turbo seals are the seals pressed in or can they be removed and refitted easily or do i have to get turbos reconditioned any advise please
Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
in relation to turbo seals are the seals pressed in or can they be removed and refitted easily or do i have to get turbos reconditioned any advise please
You'll need to remove the wheels in order to get to the seals, and you (in theory) could probably replace them yourself. The problem is after you put the wheels back on, if they're not absolutely 100%++++ perfectly back in the same spot, it's possible (even likely) that they'll be out of balance. Since the turbo wheels spin over 100,000 rpm, balance is ultra-critical. It's the balancing step that there's really no way to do at home (afaik)...so in general it's best to send it to a turbo repair shop to have the seals replaced.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Dom
Stock

pictures of my car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00010.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	189  
Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Dom
Stock

i took off and cleaned out intercooler and all pipes definatly need new intercooler but after two days i had a steady leak again iwas talking to turbo dynamics uk and they reckon i have a crank case breather problem i had motul 5w 30 oil in car they think this could hav sumthing to do with it. what you think about intercoolers on ebay? and do you know where i can get diagram on crank case breather. I hav a car graphics and window tint company in Dublin a lot of guys that come into my garage think this oil was start of my trouble .I have full service history with this car it was 100% before i used this oil
Old 03-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
i took off and cleaned out intercooler and all pipes definatly need new intercooler but after two days i had a steady leak again iwas talking to turbo dynamics uk and they reckon i have a crank case breather problem...
I'm glad to hear they agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
...i had motul 5w 30 oil in car they think this could hav sumthing to do with it...
Although I doubt this is related to your oil leak, but you still should be running 10W30 as per Toyota's specifications. The correct, permanent fix to the PCV-oil problem is the installation of a catch-can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
...what you think about intercoolers on ebay?...
Generally speaking, they suck. They usually don't come with piping, mounting brackets, couplers, clamps or a warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
...and do you know where i can get diagram on crank case breather...
It's a very simple system. There are two breathers - one with a PCV valve on the left side valve cover (attached to the intake plenum), and another on the right side valve cover. There are also two hoses going between the two valve covers. That's it. What kind of diagram were you looking for?

Old 03-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Dom
Stock

first of all thanks for all your help ,im not the most mechanicly minded person i was just wondering were to look for breather maybe copy from haynes manual ,but you already answered that question .Igot a cusco catch can just wondering were to put it ,im goin to go ahead and get blitz intercooler on monday