Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
SupraHead
3" Exhaust

SupraHead is on a distinguished road
Default To sell or not to sell?

Hello guys,

i got a Q, you see i have a pretty good condition Mk3 1989 turbo. I was planning to buy a MK4. The thing is this car is like sentimental to me, it was bought by my dad when i was a teen, he sadly passed away 2 years ago. I dont wont sell the car, but i want a toyota supra mk4, i was wondering what is the insurance cost of the Mk4 turbo? is it a lot more to keep both of them? has anyone of u have two supras? and whats the cost like? a lot of people arguing that i will be in debt, if i have two of them with insurance both covered. Im not rich as well, im average, so cost is okay. The supra i am looking for is probably in the range of 20k-40k. also have a toyota rav 4 (family car) , which is highly irrelevant.

-thanks.
SupraHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraHead View Post
Hello guys,

i got a Q, you see i have a pretty good condition Mk3 1989 turbo. I was planning to buy a MK4. The thing is this car is like sentimental to me, it was bought by my dad when i was a teen, he sadly passed away 2 years ago. I dont wont sell the car, but i want a toyota supra mk4, i was wondering what is the insurance cost of the Mk4 turbo? is it a lot more to keep both of them? has anyone of u have two supras? and whats the cost like? a lot of people arguing that i will be in debt, if i have two of them with insurance both covered. Im not rich as well, im average, so cost is okay. The supra i am looking for is probably in the range of 20k-40k. also have a toyota rav 4 (family car) , which is highly irrelevant.

-thanks.
To me, your Rav4 is one of the most important pieces of information you provided. Here's why: I say sell the MKIII, because you'll have the rav4 as a daily driver for when (not if) you start modding the MKIV. Oh, and you'll need the cash from selling the MKIII to mod the MKIV...especially if you want to go 'apu' and upgrade the fuel system ($) and turbo ($) and ecu ($).

If you're 100%++++ sure you'll never mod the MKIV, then it's a tougher decision...in this case I think your friends may be correct because the MK4-TT will be more expensive to insure than the MKIII.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
SupraHead
3" Exhaust

Ohhh that is very important info , aren't stock turbo supras at least 30k?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ohhh that is very important info , aren't stock turbo supras at least 30k?
No, I've seen decent ones go for 20k. Depends on mileage, model year, color, auto vs. 6spd, targa vs hardtop, etc.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
SupraHead
3" Exhaust

6 speed TT manual below 100k 93-94 or 98
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
6 speed TT manual below 100k 93-94 or 98
What's wrong with a '95, or '97? There's almost no difference at all between a '94 and a '95, for example. In '96 the only issue I know is that it didn't come in a 6spd due to the OBDII emissions standards. In '97 the only issue I'm aware of is with an auto transmission, the oem diff was not an LSD (i.e. the same diff that's in the '97 auto n/a). The '97s and '98s are nearly identical (just like the '94s and '95s are the same...except for the '97 auto TT non-LSD diff, of course), as far as I know.

Other than '97, there's nothing wrong with the auto...especially if you want to drag race. In the 1/4 mile from a dead stop, an auto TT is quicker and more consistent than a 6spd...both bone stock and bpu.

Again, why not a '95 auto, a '95 6spd, or a '97 6spd? If you don't want to worry about OBDII, to me '95 was the best year for the Mkiv TT in the US.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
SupraHead
3" Exhaust

okay, i seee.. ya people always prize the black on black supras to be valuable and the RSP supra as well they say 94 and 98 are great ! so yea thanks for more info, now i know they re all good esp the ones u stated
Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
okay, i seee.. ya people always prize the black on black supras to be valuable and the RSP supra as well they say 94 and 98 are great ! so yea thanks for more info, now i know they re all good esp the ones u stated
Well any black Mkiv can be converted to black-on-black with carpet and seats. It's a trivial, relatively inexpensive conversion if that's what you like.

Regarding color: actually Quicksliver ('98) is more highly desirable than RSP. Where are you getting this (bad) info?

When you say "they say 94 and 98 are great", who is the "they" you're talking about. I'd like to get in touch with 'them', and make sure "they" learn the error of 'their' ways. Really! Please feel free to send me that contact information privately.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I sold my 87 I had, loved that car, now bought what I got now, love it even more, but I am in your situation, sell or not to sell again, I never drive mine, and I have a built auto and i love it, much rather have the six, but my auto is fun and very fast on twins,

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-23-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
TurboSupera
3" Exhaust

TurboSupera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello guys,

-thanks.
You sound kind of like me. At one point we had a 2009 Rav4, 2003 S-Runner, 1994 Accord, Black 1989 mkiii turbo and Grey 1989 mkiii turbo. We now have a 2009 Rav4, 2006 Tundra, 2003 S-Runner and 1994 mkiv turbo. Will be selling the 2003 S-Runner. Don't you get multiple car discount? I can't tell you how much my insurance is, but for the amount of vehicles I have, I don't think it's bad. For me once I drove the mkiv, it was a done deal. I don't think I will be selling the mkiv for a long, long time. Insurance isn't that bad for what you're getting, partly because of the age of the car.
TurboSupera is offline   Reply With Quote