Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
Bman00000
Stock

Bman00000 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help!

I'm looking to buy a mkIV supra. I'm not sure what to look for. I need it to be under 14000 if possible. Is it possible? Someone please help!
Bman00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

$14000 may be a possibility, but you will be looking an NA with mid to high miles. Or even a TT with high mileage might be that cheap. What other requirements do you have? Do you care if it is a TT or even NA-T? How about Auto or 6 Speed? Lots of factors will make a difference with the price.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman00000 View Post
I'm looking to buy a mkIV supra. I'm not sure what to look for. I need it to be under 14000 if possible. Is it possible? Someone please help!
If you don't mind a suggestion, I agree with 97SupraTT - you should consider looking at it a totally different way rather than jumping from "Supra" straight to "less than $14K".

What you need to look for starts within yourself. Really! Please answer the following:
1) Why do you want a Supra and not some other car like a rustang or a silvia. Please be as specific and realistic as possible.
2) Exactly what do you want to do with your Supra after you get it? Daily driver? Chick magnet on weekends? Road race?
3) Do you want to modify your Supra?
3a) If so, what are your goals for the modifications? Something fun to drive, or a 1500rwhp monster? Resell it for quick profits? etc.
3b) What are your goals for your Supra after the modifications? Daily driver? Chick magnet on weekends? Road race?
3c) Do you have another car you can use for transportation while you modify your Supra? If not, how about a bicycle? (Again, not joking around at all - this is a serious question).

To help you, for example, I need to know if you want to look cool in a shiny thing that looks like it might be fast (like an n/a Supra), or do you really want to go fast? However, I'm not looking for an answer to that question - please go through each of those 1,2,3a, 3b, and 3c and answer each one as completely and thoroughly as possible.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-22-2012 at 10:53 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Bman00000
Stock

well i dont care about miles. can a base model be equipped with TT?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
well i dont care about miles. can a base model be equipped with TT?
In general, there are two different models. The GE (N/A) and the GTE (TT). Of course, there are supra's out there that are N/A-T or N/A-TT, someone has either put a large single turbo on an N/A or put the stock twin turbo's on an N/A.

Buying a Supra that has been modified, there's no end to what modifications could have been done. Depending on what has been done can drive the price either way.

Something to consider though, is that the turbo's are not the only difference between the N/A and the TT model. What I would do is just see what is for sale within your price range.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTT View Post
In general, there are two different models. The GE (N/A) and the GTE (TT). Of course, there are supra's out there that are N/A-T or N/A-TT, someone has either put a large single turbo on an N/A or put the stock twin turbo's on an N/A.

Buying a Supra that has been modified, there's no end to what modifications could have been done. Depending on what has been done can drive the price either way.

Something to consider though, is that the turbo's are not the only difference between the N/A and the TT model..
Stock twin turbos don't fit on the n/a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SupraTT View Post
...What I would do is just see what is for sale within your price range.
Respectfully, and fwiw, I disagree with you completely. We still don't know what he wants to accomplish with his Supra, or even why he wants to buy one. We need to start with his goals, and then find out if that/those goal(s) can actually be achieved for $14K. In other words, to me, his price range is completely irrelevant until we know exactly why he wants an Mkiv Supra. Without this information, I believe this forum would be doing him a disservice by trying to provide an answer to the problem without enough information to go on.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-23-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Stock twin turbos don't fit on the n/a.
Copy that, I wasnt aware of that. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Respectfully, and fwiw, I disagree with you completely. We still don't know what he wants to accomplish with his Supra, or even why he wants to buy one. We need to start with his goals, and then find out if that/those goal(s) can actually be achieved for $14K. In other words, to me, his price range is completely irrelevant until we know exactly why he wants an Mkiv Supra. Without this information, I believe this forum would be doing him a disservice by trying to provide an answer to the problem without enough information to go on.
Your right, he does need to give more information for us to properly help him. I was just saying in general, if he doesnt know what exactly he is looking for, he could look to see what is available. It may help him figure out what he wants.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Bman00000
Stock

Well I'd like to get one for a daily driver. I'm not aware if all the modifications you can do to one but I'd definenetly like a turbo. I install sound systems for a living so I was gonna do that. But just starting off when I decide to get one I don't want to spend boat loads of money.

And I'd like to modify it yes. But not all at once.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Well I'd like to get one for a daily driver. I'm not aware if all the modifications you can do to one but I'd definenetly like a turbo. I install sound systems for a living so I was gonna do that. But just starting off when I decide to get one I don't want to spend boat loads of money.

And I'd like to modify it yes. But not all at once.
Ok - that's a start. However, I'd ask you to please continue. When you modify it, what will be your goals? For example, modifications for roadracing are significantly different than for drag racing. Modifications for turning it into a show car are very different than modifications for drifting. Make sense?

Also, just to start off, your chances of finding the Mkiv Supra you want are not sounding that great at all. If you want an Mkiv Turbo Supra (i.e. oem twin turbo) that is a reliable daily driver, and not a money pit just to keep it as a reliable daily driver, you need one that's been well-maintained and relatively low mileage (<150K for sure). Given that many of these cars are more than 15 years old, even those few criteria alone could not only make the car significantly more than $14K, they could make the search take months and months. I know several guys dedicated to finding the Supra they want that had their cash in a briefcase ready to hop on a plane to test drive every promising Supra that appeared for sale anywhere nationwide - and they eventually found it. Please understand: this is a VERY rare car - fewer than 8,000 oem TT's were sold in the US from '93.5 through '98. Half of those have already been either gutted and turned into track-only vehicles or have been totaled. The one variable in all of this that you really need to think long and hard about is your $14K budget. A man can always earn more money, given some time. I believe you should consider relaxing that one criteria, and think about this project in a slightly longer timeframe. ----- I've written a lot here. Please share your thoughts at this point.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-24-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Bman00000
Stock

Well I have a daily driver. I could maybe find one that's a base model with out turbos high mileage and swap the motor that's no problem. And I would like to nightly modify it myself