Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

fastsupra is on a distinguished road
Default Rim size for rolled fenders and lowered car

I am looking to get new rims and tires and I am having a hard time finding an exact answer to my question. I have my fenders rolled so my question is what size, width and offset will I have to get in order to get the most rubber under my car? I will be ordering Titans Stoptech Sport Kit Front Brake basically at the same time so I need to know what offset to get to clear them. I will also be lowering my car about 1-1.5" if that makes a difference.

Let me know what I should be looking at so far all I know is to look for 18x10 front and 18x11.5 rear but Im not sure if that will fit with my setup and if so what tires will fit and what offset to get. Thanks!
fastsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
I am looking to get new rims and tires and I am having a hard time finding an exact answer to my question. I have my fenders rolled so my question is what size, width and offset will I have to get in order to get the most rubber under my car? I will be ordering Titans Stoptech Sport Kit Front Brake basically at the same time so I need to know what offset to get to clear them. I will also be lowering my car about 1-1.5" if that makes a difference.

Let me know what I should be looking at so far all I know is to look for 18x10 front and 18x11.5 rear but Im not sure if that will fit with my setup and if so what tires will fit and what offset to get. Thanks!
You can easily fit 11.5" width rear rims, with 315 width rubber, inside *properly* rolled fenders. Use the oem offset of +50mm as a basline on the oem 9.5" width rear rims. If you add two inches of width, add exactly one inch on the inside and exactly one inch on the outside. This works perfectly - I have direct, personal experience in this area:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ned/index.html
This should be more than enough information for whomever is selling you the rims. The company selling you the rims needs to take responsiblity for proper fitment, and needs to provide you with a money-back guarantee if they don't fit.

10" fronts may be a bit too big. You could also do either 9" or 9.5" in the front to match the 11.5" rear rims. This does depend somewhat on your application and driving preferences.

Lowering your car will have no effect on the brake caliper clearance. Most likely you'll need at least 18" diameter rims to clear aftermarket brake calipers. Titan (TMS) and/or Stoptech should be able to provide you with the specifics for that kit.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-12-2012 at 09:22 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
kawboyz2002
Stock

kawboyz2002 is on a distinguished road

I was looking at a set of wheels for my 94 NA Supra. The fronts are 18x9.5 and rears are 18x11" The offset on both front and rear are +20. I have my rear fenders rolled already and plan on purchasing a lowering suspension. I don't want the wheels to stitch out past the rear fenders, I just don't like that look. I'm trying to get the flushed look. So my question is will I achieve the look im going for with this step and what size tires should I run? I've at this for almost a year now... Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
kawboyz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyz2002 View Post
I was looking at a set of wheels for my 94 NA Supra. The fronts are 18x9.5 and rears are 18x11" The offset on both front and rear are +20. I have my rear fenders rolled already and plan on purchasing a lowering suspension. I don't want the wheels to stitch out past the rear fenders, I just don't like that look. I'm trying to get the flushed look. So my question is will I achieve the look im going for with this step and what size tires should I run? I've at this for almost a year now... Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
To me, that offset sounds wrong. The oem offset is +50. With the oem offset, you have about 1.25" of space between the tire and the suspension on the inside, and also 1.25" of space between the tire and a *trimmed* rear fender lip on the inside. That .25" (or less) of clearance is necessary to accommodate tire flex. Note that an 11.5" wide rim with a +50 offset works perfectly because essentially, 1" is added on the inside and outside relative to the measurements of an oem 9.5" rear rim (TT).

Rolling the rear fender does not work properly. If it's rolled conservatively, it does not give you anywhere near the clearance you need. If you do roll it with enough force to get the proper clearance, then your fender will bend/warp. It's one or the other. Toyota builds its cars tough - and that oem fender lip is just too stiff to roll properly. Even after it's trimmed past the spot-welds, the fender is still extremely stiff (you won't notice or feel any difference). Trim the rear fender lip, never roll it.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-17-2013 at 12:21 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote