Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

fastsupra is on a distinguished road
Default Nitrous Kit recommendation

I am getting a 67mm turbo installed along with a full fuel system and I will be having it all tuned with the AEM EMS V2 and I was curious if I would be able to run a shot of NOS and if so how much of a shot and also do you know of any good kits?
Thanks
fastsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsupra View Post
I am getting a 67mm turbo installed along with a full fuel system and I will be having it all tuned with the AEM EMS V2 and I was curious if I would be able to run a shot of NOS and if so how much of a shot and also do you know of any good kits?
Thanks
Nitrous can be used for two different purposes on a turbocharged purposes.
1) To spool up the turbo quicker
2) As a power adder (stop spraying when turbo hits boost)
3) Both of the above

For "1)", there's a bit of an issue - spraying nitrous below 3,000 rpms is not recommended (unless you have a progressive controller, properly tuned). For example, if you spray a 175 shot of nos below 3000 rpms and (worst case) you choose not to radically retard the timing, the connecting rods will probably bend (yes, even on a 2jz-gte). How much the rods bend depend upon how low below 3000 rpms you spray.

...Sooooo, this means that the only turbos that would really benefit from a nos spoolup are ones that aren't anywhere near spooling up at 3,000 rpm. This usualy means a VERY big turbo (eg. 88mm, 92mm, 101mm, etc.). Your 67mm turbo should be well on the way to being at least partially spooled by 3,000 rpms (depending on your exhaust housing a/r), and therefore is a bit too small, imho, to benefit from a nos spoolup.

Therefore, may I conclude that you wish to utilize NOS as a power adder? If so, there's really no limit to the size of shot you might run, as long as it's properly tuned. If you're looking for a cost-effective setup, then you'll probably want either single or dual fogger, which limits you to about a 175 shot at most. Above this point you need to go direct-port (with six foggers, one in each intake runner). With direct port, again, there's no limit - you could run a 1000 shot and add 1000hp worth of nitrous. Of course, with that big a shot, you'd need MT slicks for it to hook up, a fully built 2jz-gte bottom end, and weeks and weeks of dyno-tuning...but it (really!) can be done.

Oh, and do you plan to spray a wet shot with the nitrous system, or will you be adding the 'wet side' of the shot with overspec'd fuel injectors and the AEM?

Tell me your thoughts about what I've written so far, and I'll suggest a kit for you. Direct port? Spool or power adder? etc.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Nitrous can be used for two different purposes on a turbocharged purposes.
1) To spool up the turbo quicker
2) As a power adder (stop spraying when turbo hits boost)
3) Both of the above

For "1)", there's a bit of an issue - spraying nitrous below 3,000 rpms is not recommended (unless you have a progressive controller, properly tuned). For example, if you spray a 175 shot of nos below 3000 rpms and (worst case) you choose not to radically retard the timing, the connecting rods will probably bend (yes, even on a 2jz-gte). How much the rods bend depend upon how low below 3000 rpms you spray.

...Sooooo, this means that the only turbos that would really benefit from a nos spoolup are ones that aren't anywhere near spooling up at 3,000 rpm. This usualy means a VERY big turbo (eg. 88mm, 92mm, 101mm, etc.). Your 67mm turbo should be well on the way to being at least partially spooled by 3,000 rpms (depending on your exhaust housing a/r), and therefore is a bit too small, imho, to benefit from a nos spoolup.

Therefore, may I conclude that you wish to utilize NOS as a power adder? If so, there's really no limit to the size of shot you might run, as long as it's properly tuned. If you're looking for a cost-effective setup, then you'll probably want either single or dual fogger, which limits you to about a 175 shot at most. Above this point you need to go direct-port (with six foggers, one in each intake runner). With direct port, again, there's no limit - you could run a 1000 shot and add 1000hp worth of nitrous. Of course, with that big a shot, you'd need MT slicks for it to hook up, a fully built 2jz-gte bottom end, and weeks and weeks of dyno-tuning...but it (really!) can be done.

Oh, and do you plan to spray a wet shot with the nitrous system, or will you be adding the 'wet side' of the shot with overspec'd fuel injectors and the AEM?

Tell me your thoughts about what I've written so far, and I'll suggest a kit for you. Direct port? Spool or power adder? etc.
I am mostly looking to use it as a power adder and not to spool the turbo because I know that with my 67mm and quick spool valve it would be pretty pointless lol. I am looking to get a good, reliable wet nitrous kit and I will probley be spraying like a 100-150 shot. Im looking to basically be racing and when I see Im losing then I can hit the button and get the extra 100hp.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I am mostly looking to use it as a power adder and not to spool the turbo because I know that with my 67mm and quick spool valve it would be pretty pointless lol. I am looking to get a good, reliable wet nitrous kit and I will probley be spraying like a 100-150 shot. Im looking to basically be racing and when I see Im losing then I can hit the button and get the extra 100hp.
Here's a kit that I'd recommend for your application:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Nitrous+Expres...23-12/10002/-1

I know it's not the cheapest kit out there, but your engine is literally 100% dependent on the quality of the solenoids (especially the fuel solenoid(s)).

Again, installation and tuning is key. Properly tuned and installed, nitrous is just as safe as any other form of forced induction. The thing that makes nitrous so potentially harmful is how easy it is to do a bad install. This is in stark contrast with a turbo or supercharger that just won't function at all (or *very* briefly) if installed improperly.

Please keep us informed, and let us know if you have any other questions.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
fastsupra
3" Exhaust

What is your guys take on intercooler nitrous sprayers? I was looking into them while I was looking at the nitrous kit I am going to get. Would it be beneficial to do a shot of nos as well as a shot of nos onto the intercooler? I didnt know if I could do both or if it would even work very well.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...785&SearchYN=N
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
What is your guys take on intercooler nitrous sprayers? I was looking into them while I was looking at the nitrous kit I am going to get. Would it be beneficial to do a shot of nos as well as a shot of nos onto the intercooler? I didnt know if I could do both or if it would even work very well.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...785&SearchYN=N
Since NOS is costly and tends to run out, I'd suggest that a mix of alcohol and water sprayed on the intercooler would be just as effective and significantly less costly. Yes this would help, especially in the latter stages of a 1/4 or 1/2 mile race after the intercooler gets completely heat-soaked.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambiasso View Post
Does anyone if this sort of kit is legal in the UK??...
For what it's worth, it's not legal in several parts of the US - >>> IF <<< the bottle (tank) is connected. They can't stop you from installing it and then taking steps to disable it while you're driving on the street...

Also, you could always powder-coat the bottle green and label it with one of these:
http://www.labelmaster.com/images/pr...x400/HDT35.jpg
If they try to make carrying an oxygen tank illegal, a lot of mobile welders will be out of business...