Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
CarpeDiem
Stock

CarpeDiem is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Vibration at idle

Mark IV all-stock owner ('98), auto, have significant vibration at idle, worse at stop with foot on brake, goes away @~ 1100 RPM and otherwise engine purrs like a kitten (ok, maybe a mean one). Been to 3 different mechanics (incl Toyota dealership) and no one can fix it. FYI- I'm not a sophisticated car guy, but that's probably obvious!
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
Mark IV all-stock owner ('98), auto, have significant vibration at idle, worse at stop with foot on brake, goes away @~ 1100 RPM and otherwise engine purrs like a kitten (ok, maybe a mean one). Been to 3 different mechanics (incl Toyota dealership) and no one can fix it. FYI- I'm not a sophisticated car guy, but that's probably obvious!
1) TT or N/A?

2) Without being there in-person to troubleshoot, I'd suggest one of the likely culprits is a misfire...possibly due to an ignition issue. How old are your sparkplugs? Do you know what they're made of (copper, platinum, iridium, etc.)? How long since your last tune-up (and plug change)? How many miles on the car (and therefore the ignition system, coil(s), ignitor, etc.)?

3) Get/borrow/use a compression tester and post (or PM) the individual results for each cylinder.
http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/...eck/index.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-08-2012 at 05:36 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
CarpeDiem
Stock

Default Thansk for the comments

No, not misfire. Has been vibrating for more than 3 years now and have had it serviced regularly incl tuneups/spark plugs etc. 154K miles now.
Don't even know what TT or N/A means (I said I was no car guy). I can have compression checked. I had one mechanic this week suggest drive shaft bearings (?) which is what led me to a forum for other opinions before I blow $ on that possible fix. One mechanic replaced harmonic balancer- no resolution to problem. So bad sometimes I have to shift into neutral at stops because it will drive my ears crazy.
Damn... I love my Supra but it's gonna vibrate itself to death.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
No, not misfire. Has been vibrating for more than 3 years now and have had it serviced regularly incl tuneups/spark plugs etc. 154K miles now.
Don't even know what TT or N/A means (I said I was no car guy). I can have compression checked. I had one mechanic this week suggest drive shaft bearings (?) which is what led me to a forum for other opinions before I blow $ on that possible fix. One mechanic replaced harmonic balancer- no resolution to problem. So bad sometimes I have to shift into neutral at stops because it will drive my ears crazy.
TT = Twin Turbo
N/A = Normally Aspirated (non-turbo)

If it vibrates at idle (while parked), then it is NOT your driveshaft bearings.

Let me know the results of the compression test.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
CarpeDiem
Stock

TT, N/A LMAO DUH! It's N/A. Will do on the compression test. Thanks again. -J
Old 06-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
TT, N/A LMAO DUH! It's N/A. Will do on the compression test. Thanks again. -J
Anytime. Just curious - any modifications (eg. nitrous), running non-premium fuel (I believe the n/a still requires premium fuel, right?), or a history of hard driving (eg. drag racing or roadracing)?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
CarpeDiem
Stock

Never any racing, all original- no modifications, mostly premium but occasionally mid-grade.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Never any racing, all original- no modifications, mostly premium but occasionally mid-grade.
Are you the original owner?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question vibration at idle

Quote:
Hi! interesting point made about shifting into neutral at stops -does the vibration stop then? or is reduced ? , if so , have you checked the fluid level in your transmission? , you did say it was an automatic , , the flywheel / torque converter may be out of balance and the fluid is re-distributed as the engine speeds up and vibration reduces ,whatever is causing the low speed vibration is moving at speed and the centre of rotation is restored ( vibration removed ) , an odd point of interest but feasable if all other engine related points are eliminated .Question? have you lost a tooth on your starter ring gear on your flywheel/ the fluid may be compensating for the out of balance ?.

Last edited by interested!; 06-11-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: extra info / question ?
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
CarpeDiem
Stock

2nd owner- bought it in 2000 w/ ~ 20K miles.
Yes, vibration reduces substantially when I shift to neutral. Have never checked transmission fluid though I would have expected that mechanics have. "Tooth on starter ring gear on flywheel"... all Greek to me! I guess I can suggest that to a mechanic?
It occurs to me that sometimes vibration seems to worsen when I go from low gas tank level to a fill-up. Then again maybe I'm dreaming.

Tags
vibration