Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
livestrongroadie
Stock

livestrongroadie is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone with Tanabe Concept Blue?

I am about 90% decided on purchasing the tanabe concept blue system but want some input from anyone who has one or who has had one. Is it a descent quality and does it give a nice tone? On a scale of 1 to 10(one being stock) how loud is the system? Im just trying to figure out if its worth the money.

My runner up right now is the apexi gt spec, but not to sure on that one either.

Any input would be appreciated, but i mostly want feedback on the tanabe as i am pretty much set on that one unless someone has some extremely negative experience with it.
livestrongroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrongroadie View Post
I am about 90% decided on purchasing the tanabe concept blue system but want some input from anyone who has one or who has had one. Is it a descent quality and does it give a nice tone? On a scale of 1 to 10(one being stock) how loud is the system? Im just trying to figure out if its worth the money.

My runner up right now is the apexi gt spec, but not to sure on that one either.

Any input would be appreciated, but i mostly want feedback on the tanabe as i am pretty much set on that one unless someone has some extremely negative experience with it.
What are the other mods on your Supra? Are you bpu++++? Single turbo?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
livestrongroadie
Stock

livestrongroadie is on a distinguished road

I am currently bone-stock N/A but am doing a JDM VVTi TT swap sometime in the near future which is another reason i am considering this system. I can use the cat back portion on my current setup, then when I do the engine swap, I can install the rest of it since I would need different down and mid pipes anyway.
I know that it is a bit more difficult to get a good tone out of a straight six than a V-six, and I am willing to compromise a bit, but I just dont want a setup that comes out "ricey".
livestrongroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livestrongroadie View Post
I am currently bone-stock N/A but am doing a JDM VVTi TT swap sometime in the near future which is another reason i am considering this system. I can use the cat back portion on my current setup, then when I do the engine swap, I can install the rest of it since I would need different down and mid pipes anyway.

I know that it is a bit more difficult to get a good tone out of a straight six than a V-six, and I am willing to compromise a bit, but I just dont want a setup that comes out "ricey".
  1. I believe you can use the same midpipe after the swap. Not 100% sure, but it's very likely.
  2. I'm also pretty sure that your 'cat back portion' is the same for both the n/a and the TT. Regardless, please note that the oem TT exhaust works just fine for stock boost levels with the oem twins, as well as BPU.
    In other words, the oem TT exhaust is not a restriction, and you will get no horsepower increase using an aftermarket exhaust.
  3. Good tone from a v-six? Gosh. I've heard of folks talking about "good tone" from a big-block V8, but a v-6? Weird...
    Fwiw, to me, any v6 sounds noticeably worse than any I-6 (especially a 2jz).
  4. When you're pushing a lot of horsepower and winning races, no one really cares what your car sounds like...although with all the extra exhaust generated with race fuel and big boost, it can't help but sound good too.
    About the only way to get a "ricey" sound, imho, is to put an open (i.e. loud) exhaust on any low-horsepower n/a (that includes low-horsepower V8s). *shrug*
  5. To me, the only reason to put an aftermarket exhaust on a stock TT or BPU Supra is for looks. If that's your deal, I understand completely...don't want to be parked next to the guy at the car meet when you've got a relatively small tailpipe. Chicks dig big tailpipes (so I hear). However, if that's all you're looking for, just take a short 4" pipe and/or transition, cut it on an angle, get it polished/chromed, and get it welded onto your oem exhaust. You can even get tips pre-chromed. Either way, it'll be a lot cheaper.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-04-2012 at 06:18 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote