Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
John Trip
Stock

John Trip is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a MKIV Supra

Which type of supra should I buy an imported JDM supra or the european/american export version of the supra ? What is the difference ?
John Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Trip View Post
Which type of supra should I buy an imported JDM supra or the european/american export version of the supra ? What is the difference ?
The American version has more hp and better components than the Japanese-spec. About the only reason to buy Japanese-spec instead of US-spec is if you prefer RHD.

Not sure about the European-spec.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
John Trip
Stock

Can the JDM Imports be modified in the same way as a european supra or is there differences, also does the JDM supra come with TT's and the 2JZ-GTE engine or is it the 2JZ-GE engine ? The reason i'm asking is that the European version of the supra is really hard to come by, where as the JDM supras are really easy to find. What is the biggest differences between the two and which one should i look for ?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Can the JDM Imports be modified in the same way as a european supra or is there differences, also does the JDM supra come with TT's and the 2JZ-GTE engine or is it the 2JZ-GE engine ? The reason i'm asking is that the European version of the supra is really hard to come by, where as the JDM supras are really easy to find. What is the biggest differences between the two and which one should i look for ?
Not too sure about european spec, but with a different ecu, injectors, intake cam and oem twin turbos, you could make the japanese-spec Mkiv Supra Turbo perform like the US-spec one.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
John Trip
Stock

Brilliant thank you, I have another question, Can and import version (JDM) easily achieve 500bhp with little to no modification, if it requires modification what are the steps and items needed ?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Brilliant thank you, I have another question, Can and import version (JDM) easily achieve 500bhp with little to no modification, if it requires modification what are the steps and items needed ?
Let's be sure we're both talking about exactly the same thing:
BHP= HP at the crank, right? That's what it says here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepo...ake_horsepower

Through a 6spd, drive line loss is about 15%. So 500bhp=425rwhp.

Now, with a US-spec Mkiv Supra, 425rwhp is pretty tough, even at 'full bpu'. If you had a brand-new (zero miles) Mkiv Supra Turbo, it'd be different, but I assume we're talking about one of these with a few miles on the odo, right?

Just guessing, I'd say it's possible with a very low mileage JDM Mkiv Supra Turbo to hit 425rwhp, with BPU++++, race fuel, and very high boost. However...among other things...it'd be pretty darn hard on those smaller, ceramic turbos. Realistically, I'd say don't even try. You might get close, but hitting it would take a lot of reasources - resources that could be better spent on going to a single turbo kit for a more cost-effective horsepower/$ increase.
Alternatively, nitrous+bpu could get you there without any trouble (assuming the nitrous is installed, controlled and tuned properly).

Again, to give it a shot, you'll need to push the BPU++++ spec as hard as you can. Read up more about it here:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu2
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#turbosystem3
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/index.html#bpu
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/index.html#bpu+
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/index.html#bpu++

Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
John Trip
Stock

ok thank you, so with some minor/major mods it is possible, i'm guessing that the more money/time and expertise (ie professional tuners) is put into the car I could gain even more than 500bhp/425rwhp IE. everything rebuilt or replaced to the highest standard ?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
ok thank you, so with some minor/major mods it is possible, i'm guessing that the more money/time and expertise (ie professional tuners) is put into the car I could gain even more than 500bhp/425rwhp IE. everything rebuilt or replaced to the highest standard ?
If the engine in the Mkiv Supra Turbo you purchase is in good shape (verified via compression and leakdown tests), then drive the heck out of it until you can afford a single turbo kit and a methanol injection kit. Install those two, and drive the heck out of it some more. That's your most cost-effective path to horsepower and fun.