Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Codyjamesuno is on a distinguished road
Default Intercooler Pipe,

I am going to redo my intercooler piping, I have an HKS side mount but I am pretty sure it mounts where the stock one did? Questions is, can I replace the factory piping with better aluminum pipe & not have to tune the car? I am new to the Supra TT thing, I got a turbo hayabusa and I know every time I change something the damn thing has to be tuned. I am guessing the less bends the better?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	4384  

Last edited by Codyjamesuno; 11-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Codyjamesuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyjamesuno View Post
I am going to redo my intercooler piping, I have an HKS side mount but I am pretty sure it mounts where the stock one did? Questions is, can I replace the factory piping with better aluminum pipe & not have to tune the car? I am new to the Supra TT thing, I got a turbo hayabusa and I know every time I change something the damn thing has to be tuned. I am guessing the less bends the better?

Thanks!
Is it an HKS side mount IC specifically for Supra? If so, it should go right in place of the stock one. I doubt you'll have to tune it up just by replacing piping...if anything, you should feel a slight performance increase due to the smoother flowing aluminium boost piping without having to tune the car anymore...
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

i think so, goes in the fender on the passenger side, thanks for the help!

Thanks !
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i think so, goes in the fender on the passenger side, thanks for the help!

Thanks !
My pleasure man
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Turboron_99
Stock

Turboron_99 is on a distinguished road

like stated as above, Wont have to get it tuned, Yet, I would if i were you find piping that has as close to possible as the same routing and inside diameter as you have now. IF you change size and length your going to changing factors. May not need a Tune. Yet your tune wont be the same as it is now.
Turboron_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks!
I've never heard of an HKS side-mount intercooler designed specifically for the Mkiv Supra Turbo. At one time, GReddy made an all-aluminum side mount kit, and it came with all of the piping.

Regardless, if you replace the oem rubber-like and plastic intercooler piping with (preferrably) aluminum piping that follows the same path, you won't need to re-tune at all. I'd recommend against steel piping because it's too heavy, and you don't need steel pipe to hold <40psi of air pressure. Be sure to use silicone couplings and t-bolt clamps.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Turboron_99
Stock

Turboron_99 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Regardless, if you replace the oem rubber-like and plastic intercooler piping with (preferrably) aluminum piping that follows the same path, you won't need to re-tune at all. I'd recommend against steel piping because it's too heavy, and you don't need steel pipe to hold <40psi of air pressure. Be sure to use silicone couplings and t-bolt clamps.
Dont forget Steel will be alot more Prown to Heat Soak than nice Aluminum! Plus putting a rolled in Beed on Steel would be a PITA! Would probably have to weld a beed to the pipe!
Turboron_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboron_99 View Post
Dont forget Steel will be alot more Prown to Heat Soak than nice Aluminum! Plus putting a rolled in Beed on Steel would be a PITA! Would probably have to weld a beed to the pipe!
Actually aluminum transfers more heat from the engine bay into the charge-air system. Get the pipes ceramic coated to reduce this issue.

There is a machine that easily presses a bead into steel pipe. Many of the shops that have mandrel bending equipment also have the bead making machine.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

I am replacing it with aluminum piping, as for the HKS side mount, I will have to look again but i'm pretty sure thats what the paper work says. I will check on that! I know the current setup I have is rubber & plastic, I think. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
Codyjamesuno
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
I've never heard of an HKS side-mount intercooler designed specifically for the Mkiv Supra Turbo. At one time, GReddy made an all-aluminum side mount kit, and it came with all of the piping.

opps, you were right, it is a GReddy intercooler, I am sorry my bad on that! You must know your stuff!